C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HOW do you remove the window regulator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 04:28 PM
Hairy W Bush
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW do you remove the window regulator?

This car is legit pissing me off. 2 books and they're no help. amazing. they both say it comes out the top and I'm doing nothing but getting frustrating and chipping my paint. it says NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING about taking out the metal shield and that looks like the only way to do this. nor does it say anything about removing the motor and that's one of the things that is stopping it from coming out the top.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:18 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Hairy W Bush
This car is legit pissing me off. 2 books and they're no help. amazing. they both say it comes out the top and I'm doing nothing but getting frustrating and chipping my paint. it says NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING about taking out the metal shield and that looks like the only way to do this. nor does it say anything about removing the motor and that's one of the things that is stopping it from coming out the top.
the metal shield has to come out. on a late C4 there are four (4) bolts holding the regulator /motor assembly in the door. you need the glass about 1/2 way in the up-down position to get the regulator assembly out. I'm going to send you a PM...
Old 04-26-2015, 06:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The metal shield DOES NOT have to come completely out. I have done numerous 1984-1996 corvettes AND I do not have to take this aluminum plate all the way out. YES...I disconnect it and pull it out...and that allows me to get in and get the regulator out once all needed fasteners have been removed.

By me doing it this way...it allows me to not to have to deal with the clips that hold the linkages to the latch mechanism.

AND YES...I am CAREFUL when I pull the aluminum plate back so I can get into the door.

DUB
Old 04-26-2015, 08:48 PM
Hairy W Bush
Instructor

Amazing. I just had Joe C stop over and give me a hand. There was no possible way for me to do it like that. the regulator is too wide for the door opening.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:27 PM
jsdomino
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you only need to change the motor, don't remove the regulator.

Lower the window about 1/3 of the way. Use masking tape to keep it from moving. Clamp the regulator so the the spring does not cut your fingers off when you remove the motor.

Drill right through the inside panel and drill out the rivets holding the motor. Get a new motor for about $40 at any auto parts store. Go to a hardware store and buy some "binding posts" which have very flat heads and give more clearance than the pan head screws that come with the motor. Replace the motor. Cover the holes in the inner panel with some foil or duct tape. Done.

Did this on several cars. Sorry never took pictures.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:56 PM
Hairy W Bush
Instructor

this is a new regulator/motor assembly that went in
Old 04-29-2015, 06:54 AM
tunedport85inject
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 04-29-2015, 09:16 AM
Hairy W Bush
Instructor

that's an older model but I had to do the same thing. neither haynes nor the FSM tell you to do that.

Get notified of new replies

To HOW do you remove the window regulator?

Quick Reply: HOW do you remove the window regulator?