C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

speratick shaky idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 07:02 PM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default speratick shaky idle

I have an idle problem and I would like to put it on a real time scanner, they used to have a Sun machine that you could hook up to the engine and be able to read several different things going on,,, they even had a wave pattern for the firing of the plugs and by looking at all the information while the engine was running you could come close to a idea of where and what your problem was,,, what is out there now that would be an equivalent . I think they have a hand held unit but I need to know from the experts,,,, thanks

Last edited by bob arrowsmith; 04-26-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:34 PM
QZRBLU
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by bob arrowsmith
I have an idle problem and I would like to put it on a real time scanner, they used to have a Sun machine that you could hook up to the engine and be able to read several different things going on,,, they even had a wave pattern for the firing of the plugs and by looking at all the information while the engine was running you could come close to a idea of where and what your problem was,,, what is out there now that would be an equivalent . I think they have a hand held unit but I need to know from the experts,,,, thanks
Bob,
The Idle Air Control motor (IAC) can cause those sporadic symptoms. First, I would remove it and clean the throttle body air passages. I had an IAC go bad and it would fail only after getting off the freeway after a minimum of 15 minutes at cruise.
(not something that a scanner will find)
Mick

Last edited by QZRBLU; 04-26-2015 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply: speratick shaky idle