C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

question on installing new fan switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 09:09 PM
phucking-low
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on installing new fan switch

I bought a 190 degree fan switch for my 84 corvette and it comes with a new pig tail. Its a dual wire pig tail and according to the instructions using Single fan operation which mine is i only use one of the wires coming out of the fan switch and just cut the other wire off or tie it up and not use it. The other with needs to be spliced into the "appropriate primary relay signal wire" using the T-Tap splice connector. What wire in this fan relay is the primary signal wire i need?

Old 04-27-2015, 01:25 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The temperature switch should connect to pin A (the bottom one in your picture) of the fan relay.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:08 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The temperature switch should connect to pin A (the bottom one in your picture) of the fan relay.
The relay in this picture doesn't look the same as the one in my early '84. I can't tell for sure if the relay shown is mounted on the fender well, under the master cylinder. My FSM tells me the CTS (coolant temp switch) connects to the smaller green/white wire. I believe the bottom wire in this picture is the black/red, which is a larger wire that connects to the fan motor.

Are you sure your replacement sensor is the right part? If you measure any resistance between either wire and the housing, or between the two wires, you don't have a switch, you have a temp sensing resistor. Your fan relay won't work unless you have a switch, which at room temperature will measure "open circuit".

Your new CTS should connect to the same brown wire as your existing switch, (which is located on the pass. side head, between plugs 6 & 8). You shouldn't have to run a new wire to the relay.

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 04-27-2015 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:35 AM
phucking-low
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new 190 degree fan switch i bought i put in the front of the intake manifold. That relay in the picture is located on the inner fender in front of the brake master cylinder. If the fan switch is located on the passenger side of the engine then what is the coolant sensor on the front of the intake manifold?

Last edited by phucking-low; 04-27-2015 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:37 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by phucking-low
The new 190 degree fan switch i bought i put in the front of the intake manifold. That relay in the picture is located on the inner fender in front of the brake master cylinder. If the fan switch is located on the passenger side of the engine then what is the coolant sensor on the front of the intake manifold?
The switch in the intake is for the ECM and it's control functions. That switch needs to remain OE or an OE replacement.

HRR explains it very well.

You might post the part number and the source of your switch kit.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-27-2015 at 08:56 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To question on installing new fan switch

Quick Reply: question on installing new fan switch