C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1993 C4 Engine Problem/Diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 07:12 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default 1993 C4 Engine Problem/Diagnosis

I went out and started my C4/6 spd, first since Octnnober, 2014. I drove it just a few days before my first hip surgery and ended up having it trucked home. At that time when I turned the A/C on the engine went rough and would quit. Could not work on it after that due to the two hip surgery's. Today I went out and got it started, I can barely get in and out and violated some hip precautions as I am not 100% myself. I was unable to pull any codes as I couldn't get down to plug my reader in. Symptoms I did notice are the following after it started:

1. Dash lights were dim including hi-low beam indicator.

2, Temp gauge went past high, other gages looked ok.

3. DIC panel - Service ASR light on and was bright, Service ABS light on and bright. Passive key entry was dimly lit or would go off, but when I accelerated it would flash on and off at times.

4. Heater fan was on but none of the heater/a/c buttons would work to change fan speed. This is a C68 Electronic A/C.

5. No power seat or windows working.

6. Engine would rev up, missed a little, probably due to old fuel and would idle.

7. Headlights would not come on. When I did turn them on the engine immediately would start to flutter and quit if I didn't turn them off.

8. Battery was new last year and I charged it before starting.

Not sure how soon I can get someone to help me pull the codes. Car was working fine until I turned the A/C on last year. That is all the info I know of for now.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:23 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

CODE READING WITH PAPER CLIP

You can read CCM DTC's by grounding pin G in the ALDL, then turning the key to the on position, the codes will display in the speedometer. (Pin A is ground.)

A. Ground
B. Diagnostic Terminal
C. A.I.R.
D. Service Engine Soon Light
E. Serial Data
F. TCC
G. Fuel Pump
M. Serial Data

• Jumper Pin G of the DLC to ground and turn on ignition. It is the pin to the bottom far left.
• The CCM should automatically display any codes stored.
o CCM is module 1
o ECM is module 4
o ABS/ASE EBTCM is module 9

Each code is displayed for 3 seconds followed by a 1 second pause till the next DTC appears. There is a 3 second pause between modules as well. The end of the list is indicated by --- on the display.
You’re now in manual mode, use the trip/reset button to cycle thru the modules, get to module 9.0. To enter a module press the trip/odo button until 9.1 appears. Then hit the english/metric button to display codes. Continue to hit this button until --- appears; that is all the codes in the module.
The fuel info button will take you backwards on the list.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:26 AM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info as I have done that in the past. Just not able to get down on the ground level to do that as I'm still recovering from my hip surgery's, and getting older and overweight isn't helping either!

Thought maybe someone has had similar problem.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:38 AM
active1951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check battery

check voltage with engine off.
check voltage drop when engine is cranked.
check voltage when engine is running.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:26 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Neighbor took a quick look at car today, while it was idling he moved the throttle cable, it was very hot and thought it maybe a grounding issue. Hopefully can get it down to his place next week to diagnose the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To 1993 C4 Engine Problem/Diagnosis

Quick Reply: 1993 C4 Engine Problem/Diagnosis