C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Header Question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 11:44 PM
Gooseit
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Header Question!!!

I have a 95 with Corsa exhaust system. I am thinking about installing headers BUT!!! have a lot of questions.

1. I have heard or read that the stock manifolds flow pretty good and headers do not help that much, is that true, How much H.P. can I expect to gain if any? Is it worth the trouble for the h.p. gain?

2.I have put headers on lots of my cars but it was years ago, back then the headers were not that good and leaks were always a problem. Has the build quality gotten better or are the gaskets going to have to replaced very few years because of leaks?

3. If I decide to go with headers, who makes the best, and should I try to go with shorty headers or long headers,

4. How hard is it on the 95 vettes to hook back up to the exhaust system?

Thanks for any advise.

goose.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:39 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooseit
I have a 95 with Corsa exhaust system. I am thinking about installing headers BUT!!! have a lot of questions.

1. I have heard or read that the stock manifolds flow pretty good and headers do not help that much, is that true, How much H.P. can I expect to gain if any? Is it worth the trouble for the h.p. gain?

2.I have put headers on lots of my cars but it was years ago, back then the headers were not that good and leaks were always a problem. Has the build quality gotten better or are the gaskets going to have to replaced very few years because of leaks?

3. If I decide to go with headers, who makes the best, and should I try to go with shorty headers or long headers,

4. How hard is it on the 95 vettes to hook back up to the exhaust system?

Thanks for any advise.

goose.
Hi

Am not familliar with the LT1 and LT4, the early C4s use shorty headers that suck. When i changed to long tube headers i knocked almost a second of the quarter mile time 0.7sec compared to the standard "shorty" type headers on the TPI.

Long tube headers are the way to go, ESPECIALLY WITH A high reving LT1 or LT4.
I have never had flange leaks use lock washers on the header bolts so they don't come loose.
the gaskets are no longer the crappy cardboard only type, i use a metal/fibre gasket and have never had any problems.

Hedman, TPIS, Hooker are all good brands.

Pay particular attention to the Y pipe before the cat, i have had my header to cat pipe made to flow better.
The stock ones can be hit and miss, depending on what emissions testing you have go for a high flow performance cat.
California you are stuck with pretty much everything stock, just having something looking aftermarket can be a visual fail.

Good luck

Some below for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Exhaust-Header-Full-Length-92-93-94-95-96-Chevy-Corvette-C4-LT1-LT4-/181729804668?rmvSB=true
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CERAMIC-COATED-Stainless-Works-C4-Corvette-Long-Tube-Headers-Cats-Lt1-Lt4-/291446904137?fits=Model%3ACorvette
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Long-Tube-Header-Exhaust-System-92-93-94-95-96-LT1-Corvette-TPIS-P-N-200-023-/111617048000?fits=Model%3ACorvette

Last edited by gerardvg; 05-04-2015 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:17 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

I installed ARH headers over a year ago and I have noticed a decent power increase. I have no dyno results but the car pulls a lot harder. I am running the 1 3/4"headers with cats and my stock LT4 mufflers. It sounds great no drone. And not loud until I nail the throttle. Very happy with the way my car performs.
Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

Am not familliar with the LT1 and LT4, the early C4s use shorty headers that suck. When i changed to long tube headers i knocked almost a second of the quarter mile time 0.7sec compared to the standard "shorty" type headers on the TPI.

Long tube headers are the way to go, ESPECIALLY WITH A high reving LT1 or LT4.
I have never had flange leaks use lock washers on the header bolts so they don't come loose.
the gaskets are no longer the crappy cardboard only type, i use a metal/fibre gasket and have never had any problems.

Hedman, TPIS, Hooker are all good brands.

Pay particular attention to the Y pipe before the cat, i have had my header to cat pipe made to flow better.
The stock ones can be hit and miss, depending on what emissions testing you have go for a high flow performance cat.
California you are stuck with pretty much everything stock, just having something looking aftermarket can be a visual fail.

Good luck

Some below for your viewing pleasure.

OBX Exhaust Header Full Length 92 93 94 95 96 Chevy Corvette C4 LT1 LT4 | eBay

New Ceramic Coated Stainless Works C4 Corvette Long Tube Headers Cats LT1 LT4 | eBay

Long Tube Header Exhaust System 92 93 94 95 96 LT1 Corvette Tpis P N 200 023 | eBay
Old 05-05-2015, 08:00 PM
RePete
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i put Melrose Smooth Flow on my '85. Fit perfectly with no leaks. look good, too.

Get notified of new replies

To Header Question!!!

Quick Reply: Header Question!!!