C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

rough ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 11:49 PM
mercury2
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough ride

I have a dumb question, just bought 1985 corvette it seems very rough ride, maybe it's me 66 year young, is there any thing that I could do to make it a little softer, thanks for help. Thanks, Fred

Last edited by mercury2; 05-04-2015 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:54 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by mercury2
I have a dumb question, just bought 1985 corvette it seems very rough ride, maybe it's me 66 year young, is there any thing that I could do to make it a little softer, thanks for help. Thanks, Fred
Hi

Check what suspension option you have, have a look at the label in the rear storage compartment. There will be build codes (they are on top of the spring on one side, make sure you do not have Z51 that is the sport (very stiff) suspension to impress the journalists of that day.
It is great on a smooth race track but shocking on poorly maintained roads, has the car been lowered?

Check the amount of room above the tire to the hood and rear quarter panels, i remember my 85 with 255 50 16 tires i could fit at least two fingers batween the hood and tire. The rear was more like 3 fingers.

Lowered corvettes look great however the bump stops are shocking, you can easilly adjust the rear suspension height with different size bolts. The front is via shims.

I remember driving my vette 3,600km when i first got her 20 years ago, she did not have the Z51 suspension so was a lot smoother.

Have a look at the spring code there will be a 3 digit code ie BMB Z51 NYU or FYU or NYR FE1 option standard
(i think that may not be correct) i thew the cracked front composite spring out.

Use google and put the spring code in to try and identify it.

I went to coilovers and replaced the springs i think they were

See info in link below.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ar-sizing.html

Quick Reply: rough ride