C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake light/Turn signal cancellation

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 05:15 AM
clkemp
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light/Turn signal cancellation

I have a 1996 LT1 that I've had almost 3 years. This has been going on since I bought the car. The brake lights work when the pedal is applied and the right turn signal works when turned on independently. However, when the right turn signal is on and the brakes are applied the lights on the right side cancel each other out. I've taken it to the local Chevy dealership only to be told that their mechanics aren't familiar with older cars. I've also been told it could be a grounding issue, but no one seems to know how to fix it. I'm tired of making right turns and people stopping me at the light to tell me my tail light is out. As of now, I put my turn signal on way ahead of turning and turn it off just before applying the brakes so that all my lights work. Please help. Is like to fix it soon.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:26 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by clkemp
I have a 1996 LT1 that I've had almost 3 years. This has been going on since I bought the car. The brake lights work when the pedal is applied and the right turn signal works when turned on independently. However, when the right turn signal is on and the brakes are applied the lights on the right side cancel each other out. I've taken it to the local Chevy dealership only to be told that their mechanics aren't familiar with older cars. I've also been told it could be a grounding issue, but no one seems to know how to fix it. I'm tired of making right turns and people stopping me at the light to tell me my tail light is out. As of now, I put my turn signal on way ahead of turning and turn it off just before applying the brakes so that all my lights work. Please help. Is like to fix it soon.
Stop lights are routed through the directional switch but you only mention "works" but I'm guessing your assuming that because you're in the car looking at the dash. Put someone else in the seat and you check the lamps and the appropriate functions. Cancel each other out doesn't work.

Left side is OK?

How many bulbs flash on the rear when the turn lever is used? Rapid flash or an expected flash timing? Do they function when lights are on correctly? Is it the correct filament lighting?

Apply brake and do the same bulb checks. How many light? Which? Inner outer? Rapid or expected flash?

Diagnostics I wouldn't think would be an issue and I wouldn't think time consuming.

What do you hear from the turn signal flasher when in the car? With out brake applied and with the brake applied?
Old 05-06-2015, 11:26 AM
clkemp
4th Gear

People stop me and tell me my lights are not working on the right back. Yes, the lights inside don't flash, but they also don't work on the outside. I would like to know how to fix the issue if someone could walk me through it
Old 05-06-2015, 04:10 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

People stop me and tell me my lights are not working on the right back. Yes, the lights inside don't flash, but they also don't work on the outside. I would like to know how to fix the issue if someone could walk me through it
Need to know exactly what does what or doesn't do what. I explained how to start I thought. I'd think to make it easy do these with "key on", someone else in driver seat you checking lamps.

1. Headlamps on you have how many rear lamps?

2. Left turn how many lamps flash? How bright?

3. Right turn how many lamps flash? How bright?

4. Stop lights only "no turn" how many? How bright?

5. Do the dash directional work at all?

6. What happens when the HAZARDS are activated?

7. Do the fronts work all of the time correctly?

8. When you are driving does the turn lever return to "neutral" after the completion of the turn both ways?

9. Is this a stock steering wheel with "Air Bag"?

Where do you live that you can do 3 years without a "safety inspection"? Maryland maybe?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-06-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:27 PM
clkemp
4th Gear

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Need to know exactly what does what or doesn't do what. I explained how to start I thought. I'd think to make it easy do these with "key on", someone else in driver seat you checking lamps.

1. Headlamps on you have how many rear lamps?

2. Left turn how many lamps flash? How bright?

3. Right turn how many lamps flash? How bright?

4. Stop lights only "no turn" how many? How bright?

5. Do the dash directional work at all?

6. What happens when the HAZARDS are activated?

7. Do the fronts work all of the time correctly?

8. When you are driving does the turn lever return to "neutral" after the completion of the turn both ways?

9. Is this a stock steering wheel with "Air Bag"?

Where do you live that you can do 3 years without a "safety inspection"? Maryland maybe?
1. With headlights on, I have 2 left rear lamps, 2 right rear lamps and one rear lamp in the middle.

2. Left turn signal on, 2 left lamps flash full brightness. Center lamp does not.

3. Right turn signal on, 2 Right lamps flash, center lamp DOES flash. Full brightness.

4. Brake lights, two left, two right, one center all work full brightness without turn signal.

5. Dash directionals all work.

6. Hazards all flash full brightness, front, back and dash.

7. Front lights and signals work full brightness without brake applied.

8. When driving, the turn signal lever DOES return to neutral when turn has been completed.

9. Airbag equiped both steering wheel and passenger.

when right turn signal is on and brake is applied, the lights remain illuminated but stop flashing.

I live in South Carolina and they don't require emissions or safety checks here.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:54 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

3. Right turn signal on, 2 Right lamps flash, center lamp DOES flash. Full brightness.

when right turn signal is on and brake is applied, the lights remain illuminated but stop flashing.

I live in South Carolina and they don't require emissions or safety checks here.
That should be sufficient for the time. I only want to check a wiring diagram before I comment.

---------------------- NEW ----------------------------------------

***With the HAZARDS ON step on the brake and see if the HAZARDS continue and the CENTER still works with the brake pedal applied.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-06-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:44 AM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Appears a switch that is part of the turn signal assembly is bad and is making contact with the brake switch circuit and the turn signal flasher circuit at the same time. The switch should only make contact with one of the circuits at a time.

Last edited by Hooked on Vettes; 05-07-2015 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:38 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Dave posted a wiring diagram and I looked at similar but was waiting for you to post back regarding the HAZARDS. Yours would be very easy to trouble shoot I believe not requiring difficult diagnostics. You'll need to remove the hush panel under the dash left side, the impact bar to gain access to the directional harness. You confirm there are no issues there first. Since your issue is stop/turn you could plug in a directional switch hanging loose from the connector and if you've got stop lights the problem is the switch which I suspected anyway.

To replace the switch you'll need to go into the column and if you're not comfortable doing that you could have a shop do it. The tools required are generally "loaners" at the local AZ or whichever.

I have a switch you could use for diagnostics, buy it if you wanted if that's your problem. You can shop new using GM# 1995974 ACD D-9001 - from me $25 and postage. Pay postage both ways to borrow for diagnostics if you like. Use the email link or PM me if you're interested.

You would unplug switch midway down column, connect one to test. You can see the connector hanging in this image:

Name:  TURN 1996.png
Views: 865
Size:  38.3 KB

Dave posted an image of the switch but if you GOOGLE the numbers I supplied you'll find much better.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-07-2015 at 05:56 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake light/Turn signal cancellation

Quick Reply: Brake light/Turn signal cancellation