C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

DYNO RESULTS! 385 Superram

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 02:26 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Masterspykiller
I am building a torque monster for my wife's 1991 C4. Installed the Canton 15-240T pan a few weeks ago. Before installing it, I measured water into it (had to clean it out anyway) and found 7 quarts flush to the bottom of the insert that screws into the pan to hold the crank scraper/windage screen. I would consider that the "FULL" mark for the pan.

I am NOT an expert, but assuming one adds 7 quarts PLUS the volume of the oil filter (whatever size one uses) and is NOT running an oil cooler, I believe there will be enough oil circulating while the engine is running that the pan will not be overfull. However, I haven't run this engine yet (still waiting for final parts, etc.).

My purpose in running the larger pan (and this is the ONLY larger pan I could find that would fit the 1991 C4) was to help cool the engine and avoid oil starvation during auto-X runs. I am not sure yet if I'll add an oil cooler (damn Los Angeles traffic and summer heat!). If so, of course more oil would be needed to keep those hoses and cooler full without starving the engine.

I hope this information helps!

Cheers, M
I was running around 7.5qrts in mine and kept filling up my catch can. Called Canton and they were the ones that instructed me that there should be 6 quarts in the pan and that is what I relay to others now. Canton said they call it the 7 quart because the figure there may be another quart in the oil filter and other crevises in the engine.

Quick Reply: DYNO RESULTS! 385 Superram