C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 scraping and clinking sound from rear wheel driver side

Old 05-12-2015, 02:52 AM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Default 84 scraping and clinking sound from rear wheel driver side

It started like a little clicking scraping type of noise as the wheel went around. Now its getting worse and sounds like a metal clinking sound with white noise like its a new steady noise along with the clicking scraping.

I had a new wheel hub put on less than a year ago but it was probably a Chinese pos.

Does it sound more like a hub or maybe a u joint on that axle?

Had the wheel off cnt see anything obvious.

Last edited by ToniJ1960; 05-12-2015 at 03:57 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:36 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

A clunking sound would most likely be a U-Joint...If you get the car off the ground you should be able to detect excess slop in the joint..Check for excess movement in the wheel when you get the car off the ground, sometimes Chinese bearings aren't the best option.....Did you replace the teflon washer when you did the bearing?....WW

Last edited by WW7; 05-12-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:06 AM
ricasso
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brake pads still good?
Old 05-12-2015, 07:21 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
A clunking sound would most likely be a U-Joint...If you get the car off the ground you should be able to detect excess slop in the joint..Check for excess movement in the wheel when you get the car off the ground, sometimes Chinese bearings aren't the best option.....Did you replace the teflon washer when you did the bearing?....WW
Old 05-12-2015, 07:43 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by ricasso
Brake pads still good?
does our cars have scrappers on the rear pads?
Old 05-12-2015, 08:15 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 522 Likes on 473 Posts

I'm not familiar with 84's but I do have an 86. In addition to things like u-joints, brakes and the hub itself, another could be the parking brake has some issue with it.

When I did my u-joints you could feel them. Elevate and support the car and while holding onto the half-shaft, try rotating the wheel. I could detect movement of the wheel before the half-shaft so that's where the issue was. Remember also that you have 2 u-joints, one inner and one outer so it could be either one. You also have to consider the possibility it's one of the driveshaft u-joints.

If it was mine, I'd start with the u-joints first as they're the ones that were bad on mine and it sounded to be a common issue.
If it's the u-joints, here's an excellent thread I used when fixing mine (Only went through the part of pulling the half-shafts and axel stubs): http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=144562
If you go this route, might as well change the teflon washers too as you'll have them out anyway. IMO it was easier than trying to unbolt the u-joint off the axel stub while under the car. Pull it along with the half-shaft out as a unit, made it easy to change them both. I did do alot of marking with a paint-stick etc before I started so reassembly was easy, other than dropping a couple of bolts along the way. Suggestion - put a scrap piece of carpet under where you're working, keeps the bolts from scurrying across the floor if you drop one.

Good luck
Old 05-12-2015, 09:10 AM
ricasso
Pro

Sometimes when the inboard pad wears to a certain point, or wears unevenly,due to poor adjustment, it can rattle around in the caliper, sometimes it can sound like the hubs about to fall off..I've had that on my 94, dont know what the setup is on an 84.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:44 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Thank you everyone for responding, the pads were changed while the wheel was just off thinking it could be them. It wasn't.

The noise is not a clunking more like a chirp with a white noise background and it gets worse after driving a few miles now. It reflects off of things I drive by on the drivers side so I think it has to be near the wheel.

I saw a youtube on half shaft u joints for another car and it sounded real similar. But I still wonder if it might be the hub , made in China.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:46 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Sometimes when the inboard pad wears to a certain point, or wears unevenly,due to poor adjustment, it can rattle around in the caliper, sometimes it can sound like the hubs about to fall off..I've had that on my 94, dont know what the setup is on an 84.
A funny thing was the pads had a lip at the edge that didn't wear?
Old 05-12-2015, 12:48 PM
ricasso
Pro

Originally Posted by ToniJ1960
A funny thing was the pads had a lip at the edge that didn't wear?
Maybe someone had fitted the wrong pads?
Old 05-12-2015, 12:51 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WW7

I had this done I wasn't prepared to do it myself. If I need to do it over I might be able to do it myself after observing the process and it not being so stubborn probably now since it was done so recently.

There was some discussion if the 84 had those washers or not, someone had an exploded view of that section I wish I could find now I searched for about a half an hour. I did see a thread where someone said he sprayed some wd 40 on his ujoints and it went away just long enough to show it affected the sound and he replaced them.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:14 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Are the u joints normally greasable? Maybe I should try having them greased?
Old 05-12-2015, 02:16 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Are the u joints normally greasable? Maybe I should try having them greased?
Evan if you can grease will not fix wear.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:42 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Evan if you can grease will not fix wear.
I guess not so how do I tell if my 84 needs ones for aluminium yolk or steel yolk before I order them?

All the places around here just have ones for steel yolk and greasable ones only,just the super cheap ones.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:03 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I guess not so how do I tell if my 84 needs ones for aluminium yolk or steel yolk before I order them?

All the places around here just have ones for steel yolk and greasable ones only,just the super cheap ones.
Get in there and pick it up check both sides and the drive shaft rock auto should have them at a good price. I would not drive if it lets go will cost alot more
Old 05-12-2015, 05:53 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi

The clicking sound is a typical dry universal joint sound, you will find the universal joint filled with rusty powder.

The wheel bearing usually makes a slight roaring sound that varies going around corners, DID YOU TORQUE THE SPINDLE NUT CORRECTLY?

You need a 36mm deep socket and a long torque wrench, i think the correct torque is 160 or 170 foot pounds.

(while the wheels are of the ground)

I have heard mention on this forum the bearing can wear prematurely if they are not torqued correctly.

If it is not a quality USA made one it may be failing already, i know there are places that sell them but with no Warranty.

I just replaced my rear wheel hubs at 170,000 miles, Timkin or SKF are good brands.

You need to jack the wheel of the ground and check for hub bearing play?
Old 05-12-2015, 05:58 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

The clicking sound is a typical dry universal joint sound, you will find the universal joint filled with rusty powder.

The wheel bearing usually makes a slight roaring sound that varies going around corners, DID YOU TORQUE THE SPINDLE NUT CORRECTLY?

You need a 36mm deep socket and a long torque wrench, i think the correct torque is 160 or 170 foot pounds.

(while the wheels are of the ground)

I have heard mention on this forum the bearing can wear prematurely if they are not torqued correctly.

If it is not a quality USA made one it may be failing already, i know there are places that sell them but with no Warranty.

I just replaced my rear wheel hubs at 170,000 miles, Timkin or SKF are good brands.

You need to jack the wheel of the ground and check for hub bearing play?
Not picking but is that on or off the ground

Get notified of new replies

To 84 scraping and clinking sound from rear wheel driver side

Old 05-12-2015, 06:06 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Not picking but is that on or off the ground
Its not a reoaring rumbling sound at allmore tinny clinky as it goes around and gets louder after driving a few miles, and louder when it reflects off of things I drive near on that side.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:58 PM
Jeff Meintel
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear noise

Its not a reoaring rumbling sound at allmore tinny clinky as it goes around and gets louder after driving a few miles, and louder when it reflects off of things I drive near on that side.
Did you everr find out what it was I have same noise and just replaced hub but not washer
Old 06-19-2016, 06:54 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Meintel
Did you everr find out what it was I have same noise and just replaced hub but not washer
its probably a ujoint

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 84 scraping and clinking sound from rear wheel driver side