C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'95 runs rough

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 09:20 PM
doowoptom
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 runs rough

My 95 'vette runs fine on the highway but occasionally when accelerating the acceleration is not smooth. Immediately after in stop and go traffic, stop signs, lights the engine runs rough when stopped in drive as if it's going to stall.
I've had a complete tune-up, new oxygen sensors, new SAP sensor, new PVC valve and hose. I've used Techtron fuel line cleaner but the problem still exists.
Any suggestions as to what the problem is and how to correct it.
Any help is appreciated
Old 05-18-2015, 08:23 PM
Canoot
Cruising

Originally Posted by doowoptom
My 95 'vette runs fine on the highway but occasionally when accelerating the acceleration is not smooth. Immediately after in stop and go traffic, stop signs, lights the engine runs rough when stopped in drive as if it's going to stall.
I've had a complete tune-up, new oxygen sensors, new SAP sensor, new PVC valve and hose. I've used Techtron fuel line cleaner but the problem still exists.
Any help is appreciated
I had the same issue. Check your fuel injectors for operation: take a wooden stick and while the engine idles, place the stick on each injector and then up to your ear. They should be clicking at a pretty steady rate. I had one bad one that once replaced the car ran smooth again.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:21 PM
doowoptom
4th Gear

Default Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by Canoot
I had the same issue. Check your fuel injectors for operation: take a wooden stick and while the engine idles, place the stick on each injector and then up to your ear. They should be clicking at a pretty steady rate. I had one bad one that once replaced the car ran smooth again.

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to have the injectors checked out and hope this is the final solution.

Once again, thanks
doowoptom
Old 05-19-2015, 08:59 PM
Canoot
Cruising

Sure thing.

Some other thoughts (derived from experience):
  • EGR is bad (if stuck open will cause rough idle and poor performance)
  • Fuel pressure too low
  • Bad/deteriorated hoses from the gas vapor recovery system
    I had this one too; you can smell fuel with this issue. Car idled really bad until I replaced these hoses, esp the hose between the intake manifold and the purge valve

Good luck. If it turns out to be none of these issues, please share, in case I have a rough idle again.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:58 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Any help is appreciated
How many miles on the car ? driven regular or does it sit up unused ?

later, tiny
Old 05-20-2015, 03:05 PM
doowoptom
4th Gear

Sure thing.

Some other thoughts (derived from experience):
  • EGR is bad (if stuck open will cause rough idle and poor performance)
  • Fuel pressure too low
  • Bad/deteriorated hoses from the gas vapor recovery system
    I had this one too; you can smell fuel with this issue. Car idled really bad until I replaced these hoses, esp the hose between the intake manifold and the purge valve

Good luck. If it turns out to be none of these issues, please share, in case I have a rough idle again.

Actually, there is a fuel smell when I turn the engine off or when I rev it up when it runs rough. I'll try replacing the hoses first as I'm sure replacing the fuel injector(s) will be more expensive.
Again, thanks for the info
Old 05-20-2015, 03:07 PM
doowoptom
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 1800Wing
How many miles on the car ? driven regular or does it sit up unused ?

later, tiny

Tiny:

The car has 68,000 miles on it and I take it out once or twice a week.

Know any good 'vette mechanics on L.I.?
Thanks,doowoptom
Old 11-10-2015, 03:35 AM
07shane
2nd Gear

Default 02 sensor replacment

I have had four 02 sensors replaced. each time the car will run fine for a couple three months and then it will act up again. I had a oil leak that was hitting the sensor so I had it fixed then replaced the sensor again. It's once again running rough exhaust smells from running rich. Gas millage is horrible. then check engine light comes on and it runs good until the light goes off. Their is no rime or reason of when the light will come on or how long it will stay on.
someone please help! I'm ready to just get rid of the car.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:30 AM
Canoot
Cruising

Originally Posted by 07shane
I have had four 02 sensors replaced. each time the car will run fine for a couple three months and then it will act up again. I had a oil leak that was hitting the sensor so I had it fixed then replaced the sensor again. It's once again running rough exhaust smells from running rich. Gas millage is horrible. then check engine light comes on and it runs good until the light goes off. Their is no rime or reason of when the light will come on or how long it will stay on.
someone please help! I'm ready to just get rid of the car.
From your description, it really does sound like a bum fuel injector. I just found one on mine (cyl 8) when it started running rough again. I took a wood stick and listened to each one and sure enough cyl 8 wasn't clicking. In fact it was barely working (I took them all out and attempted a poor man's cleaning). To compensate for this bad injector, the computer ran the other injectors rich on the driver's side and one of my O2 sensors bit the dust.

I got 8 rebuilt ones from RockAuto (about $300), swapped them out, fixed the O2 and now everything runs well -- and has been for over 6 months.

Last edited by Canoot; 11-10-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:15 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Jon at fic will give you a better deal on injectors look at the adds to the right.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:25 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Actually, there is a fuel smell when I turn the engine off or when I rev it up when it runs rough. I'll try replacing the hoses first as I'm sure replacing the fuel injector(s) will be more expensive.
Again, thanks for the info
If you smell fuel when you shut the car off, you may be looking at a bad fuel pressure regulator. Easy to check. Pull the tube off the top, and check for gasoline smell. You can also have someone turn the key to the on position and see if gas squirts out the top of the diaphragm. Of course, if you do this, run the tube from the top of the regulator into a coke bottle.....don't want to burn the car down.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:40 PM
07shane
2nd Gear

From your description, it really does sound like a bum fuel injector. I just found one on mine (cyl 8) when it started running rough again. I took a wood stick and listened to each one and sure enough cyl 8 wasn't clicking. In fact it was barely working (I took them all out and attempted a poor man's cleaning). To compensate for this bad injector, the computer ran the other injectors rich on the driver's side and one of my O2 sensors bit the dust.

I got 8 rebuilt ones from RockAuto (about $300), swapped them out, fixed the O2 and now everything runs well -- and has been for over 6 months.
thanks! I will check injectors. I already replaced fuel regulator a couple of 02 sensors earlier.

Get notified of new replies

To '95 runs rough

Quick Reply: '95 runs rough