C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Having a hard time finding intake options

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 11:51 AM
drewk86
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Having a hard time finding intake options

I've been looking around on the internet the past few days at different intake options for my car. Everything I can seem to find leads me to one of two options 1) Edelbrock or 2) TPIS Mini Ram.

Both of these seem to be good choices but I can't seem to find any others that are still in production. Everything that was abundant several years ago (Big Mouth, Super Ram, etc) has been out of production for sometime.

Is this the case and these are the only abundant new options or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Thanks
Old 05-19-2015, 12:23 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

What are your goals?
Old 05-19-2015, 12:31 PM
drewk86
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BOOT77
What are your goals?
I'm honestly not really interested in the whole numbers chasing game. While it would be fun to have a 10 second fire breathing monster I'd really be satisfied with something that's in the 350 - 400 rwhp range with similar, or slightly higher torque numbers. Just something that I can have fun with on the weekends and not go broke in the end.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:05 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by drewk86
I'm honestly not really interested in the whole numbers chasing game. While it would be fun to have a 10 second fire breathing monster I'd really be satisfied with something that's in the 350 - 400 rwhp range with similar, or slightly higher torque numbers. Just something that I can have fun with on the weekends and not go broke in the end.
Probably have an open mind to a 383 miniram car for those HP goals
Old 05-21-2015, 09:11 PM
beerme
Racer

What about a First Fuel Injection setup, or a serious port job and large tube runners on your existing intake and plennum?

Just a thought....
Old 05-21-2015, 09:33 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

If you copy my build you will be right where you want to be.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:48 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I feel your pain. Edelbrock manifold and runners set you back darn near a thousand bucks. Look for used.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:34 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

RWHP or at the flywheel?

The Edelbrock or any long runner intake won't get you there (RWHP)..unless you do a bunch more....like a 383 stroker and head upgrades with a cam....
Old 05-22-2015, 11:39 AM
Mike 92LX
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like you want the Miniram for tens. If you want a stoplight cruiser than the Edelbrock set up will work. Both the runners and the base have a lot of casting flesh and I have seen some runners not even mount flat. To get the most at port both. With a ported plenum it works very nice with traction.

Scoggins Dickey has the Edelbrock Runners for under $400. Look for a base here and on Thirdgen.org used for about 300. FYI the TPIS BIG MOUTH is nothing but a cleaned up Edelbrock Base. TPIS Runners are rebadged Arizona Speed runners which are really nice if you don't want to port.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:27 PM
drewk86
Intermediate

Just for a reference point for me. By going with an intake (aftermarket base and runners, with a stock plenum), cam upgrade, full exhaust, and a tune. What would I realistically be looking at rwhp wise....300 to 325? What about torque?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2015, 11:16 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

I've been looking around on the internet the past few days at different intake options for my car. Everything I can seem to find leads me to one of two options 1) Edelbrock or 2) TPIS Mini Ram.

Both of these seem to be good choices but I can't seem to find any others that are still in production. Everything that was abundant several years ago (Big Mouth, Super Ram, etc) has been out of production for sometime.

Is this the case and these are the only abundant new options or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Thanks
My 88 had oil smoke out the exhaust when first started it. Took a head job to replace the valve seals to stop that. Since I had the top end off I had the heads, intake and runners ported. While I was there I replaced the entire fuel injection system. Cost a cool grand but well worth it. Only new parts were injectors, fuel pump, fuel regulator, and filter. Don’t forget a new EGR and vacuum lines.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:08 AM
RePete
Instructor

I used a FIRST TPI. Happy with it so far. Manifold + runners + throttle body + fuel rails = $1100. I told Ken what i was doing, and he gasket matched the manifold. there's enough meat to port it, if you wanted. there's a good thread on it on thirdgen. the stock snorkel will fit. Just warm it up a bit, and slide it on. if you do use a First, it's worth changing to a small cap distributor. the stock one sort of fits, but you need to grind / cut it. small cap is much easier and neater, imo.

Get notified of new replies

To Having a hard time finding intake options

Quick Reply: Having a hard time finding intake options