C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Injector Size

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 06:30 PM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Injector Size

I replaced the bad OEM injectors in my 89 L98 with 21lb Accel injectors and the preformance really diminished, obviously they are too small.

I've noticed a small coolant leak by the LF on my intake so I'm soon going to need to change the gasket. While I have it apart I want to put the right size or slightly larger injectors back in.

What is the largest size injector I can install without doing any reprogramming or retuning?

Is there an aftermarket manifold that increases power?

Rick
Old 05-20-2015, 07:09 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...injectors.html
Old 05-20-2015, 08:50 PM
Mike 92LX
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

You shouldn't go bigger without any tuning. What year and what mods do you have on the car? I have some Bosch 3s in 22 and 24 if you are in a jam and need them quick and cheap. Need to know year and goals to suggest a manifold change if needed
Old 05-20-2015, 10:02 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Are you thinking that lager injectors will give you more power? Sorry, but that's not how the system works. The ECM will just reduce the pulse width of larger injectors (to a limit) to keep the air/fuel ratio within parameters. If the ECM can't adapt to the larger injectors, your performance and fuel mileage will suffer.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:22 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
If the ECM can't adapt to the larger injectors, your performance and fuel mileage will suffer.
...And you'll run very rich in open loop mode.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:00 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Are you thinking that lager injectors will give you more power? Sorry, but that's not how the system works. The ECM will just reduce the pulse width of larger injectors (to a limit) to keep the air/fuel ratio within parameters. If the ECM can't adapt to the larger injectors, your performance and fuel mileage will suffer.

1989 L-98 bone stock

Well, I was mainly looking to restore the power it had before the Accels went in, There is definitely a difference. If I could get a little more by replacing the manifold without any reprogramming that would be worth considering. I'm not racing it but do like the power.

I sent a PM to FIC and got an immediate response with an answer to the injectors, sounds like I need to go with Bosch 3s.

As for the manifold, yes I'd like a little more power if replacing it without any other modifications would supply it but if it would take any reprogramming it's not worth it at this time.

Thanks for the replies, this forum is very helpful.

Rick
Old 05-21-2015, 09:04 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike 92LX
You shouldn't go bigger without any tuning. What year and what mods do you have on the car? I have some Bosch 3s in 22 and 24 if you are in a jam and need them quick and cheap. Need to know year and goals to suggest a manifold change if needed
Thanks for the offer Mike but I'm not in a bind for them, car's running great and I just put 1565 miles on it during a 7 day trip to the mountains, all without a hiccup from the 26 year old girl.

The goal in a manifold change would just be whatever power I could squeeze out of it without any other modifications.

Rick

Last edited by shootnstarz; 05-21-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:02 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

The stock injectors for the 89 were rated at 22 pounds with 43.5 pounds of pressure at the fuel rail.

So you could install the correct injector or buy an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and increase the pressure above the 43.5 pounds. You would have to play with this to find the sweet spot for pressure.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:59 PM
Mike 92LX
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Correct part number for the 22lbers is 0280155710 or 700 in Bosch 3. They will be yellow. I have tons of them. You also lose some weight over the stockers. Great mod. Has 4 hole pintle for better spray pattern too.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:23 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Bosch 3s it will be. I just noticed a small coolant leak on the LF on my intake so a new gasket is upcoming and that will be the time to replace the injectors. But I need to get the hit and run damage repaired before anything.

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Injector Size

Quick Reply: Injector Size