C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

will ride height adjust affects camber and toe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 06:28 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Default will ride height adjust affects camber and toe?

i've noticed my 1995 corvette is a little bit higher or right rear corner, about 3/4" higher then the side. (seems to be a common problem)

So I would make a ride height adjustment all by myself without digital instruments just a ruler, but won't that this adjustement will affect toe 'n camber

Anyone knonws?
Old 05-21-2015, 07:27 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Christi@n
i've noticed my 1995 corvette is a little bit higher or right rear corner, about 3/4" higher then the side. (seems to be a common problem)

So I would make a ride height adjustment all by myself without digital instruments just a ruler, but won't that this adjustement will affect toe 'n camber

Anyone knonws?
Yes the camber and toe in will be affected with a ride height change and need a 4 wheel alignment, how much it is affected is determined by how much of a change in ride height.

You can easily change the bolts on the rear suspension to counteract the body to be more level, the standard ones have a split pin to prevent the nut from coming loose.

The shop manual will have the correct ground clearance specs, you could adjust the rear suspension to level it out and have the correct ride height. You may get away by doing that and the alignment will be in the ball park.

I would get it aligned, a good idea to do that to prevent uneven wear on the tires.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:10 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Yes the camber and toe in will be affected with a ride height change and need a 4 wheel alignment, how much it is affected is determined by how much of a change in ride height.

You can easily change the bolts on the rear suspension to counteract the body to be more level, the standard ones have a split pin to prevent the nut from coming loose.

The shop manual will have the correct ground clearance specs, you could adjust the rear suspension to level it out and have the correct ride height. You may get away by doing that and the alignment will be in the ball park.

I would get it aligned, a good idea to do that to prevent uneven wear on the tires.

Thank you
Old 05-24-2015, 05:00 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

In my experience (coil overs on the 93) it affects toe more than camber and the front more than the rear.

However, I will bet that like me, it has been a long time since you have had a good alignment. So why not.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:51 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by pkincy
In my experience (coil overs on the 93) it affects toe more than camber and the front more than the rear.

However, I will bet that like me, it has been a long time since you have had a good alignment. So why not.
As matter of fact, i've recently have an alignment but shop's boy didn't adjust ride height...
Old 06-22-2015, 06:44 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by gerardvg

Have you got, some specs for ride height for 1995?
Old 06-22-2015, 07:25 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

In my experience ride height depends a lot on the slope of your driveway and the curbs and bumps you normally traverse. Until you get very (way too) low you are not adversely affecting suspension geometry, so every Corvette I have ever had has been adjusted down a bit. Normally on stock bolts for me, as if I want to go much lower I go to coil overs. My 93 got coil overs more as a mod fest thing, but I have had to raise the car when I moved back to California as the roads are so crappy here compared to Las Vegas and/or Scottsdale.

Both my C5 and C6 Z06s have been lowered on stock bolts.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:51 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

In my experience ride height depends a lot on the slope of your driveway and the curbs and bumps you normally traverse. Until you get very (way too) low you are not adversely affecting suspension geometry, so every Corvette I have ever had has been adjusted down a bit. Normally on stock bolts for me, as if I want to go much lower I go to coil overs. My 93 got coil overs more as a mod fest thing, but I have had to raise the car when I moved back to California as the roads are so crappy here compared to Las Vegas and/or Scottsdale.

Both my C5 and C6 Z06s have been lowered on stock bolts.
Ok, i understand this, but taking a look at my car it seems to be a little bit higher on the rear, so would like to know if there is a factory spec about this

Take a look at the pics, don't you?
Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2015, 10:49 PM
chadk
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine is the same way. I could never adjust it out to be correct. I purchased longer bolts, new spring, sway bar bushings. I have not replaced the link arm bushings yet. The front appears to be good.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:20 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

I see what you mean. It has the old "Rake" look. There is a spec and it is available in the Helms. Should be the same for any 92-96. Unfortunately mine is over at the garage with the older cars. The spec picks several specific points on the frame (and on the body) and measures from that point to the ground.

Sorry I can't put my hand on one now.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:25 PM
Drew95
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Both Christi@n and Chad have sweet looking C4s, but I gotta believe both of them could be put down quite a bit, no?
Old 06-23-2015, 06:01 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

I see what you mean. It has the old "Rake" look. There is a spec and it is available in the Helms. Should be the same for any 92-96. Unfortunately mine is over at the garage with the older cars. The spec picks several specific points on the frame (and on the body) and measures from that point to the ground.

Sorry I can't put my hand on one now.
Yep is just this"rake look" front lower than rear,
Also right rear is a little bit higher thatn left rear.....i suppose that this was happened when previous oener had raplaced shocks, infact bilstein are on my car, they shouldn't be as OEM equipment? Is right?
Old 06-24-2015, 10:52 AM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Yep is just this"rake look" front lower than rear,
Also right rear is a little bit higher thatn left rear.....i suppose that this was happened when previous oener had raplaced shocks, infact bilstein are on my car, they shouldn't be as OEM equipment? Is right?
Bilstein are OEM.

Park the car on a flat level surface. Measure the distance from the ground to the under-side of the fender lips. The rears should be a bit higher than the fronts, but never lower than the fronts. I dropped mine about 3/4" in the back, so they are now about 1/4" higher than the fronts.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:57 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
Bilstein are OEM.

Park the car on a flat level surface. Measure the distance from the ground to the under-side of the fender lips. The rears should be a bit higher than the fronts, but never lower than the fronts. I dropped mine about 3/4" in the back, so they are now about 1/4" higher than the fronts.
Hi these are for every single fender

FL---26 15/16"
FR---26 15/16"

RL---28 1/8"
RR---28 5/16"

I don't understand why RL is different than RR
Old 06-27-2015, 05:04 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Don't use the distance from the wheel well to the ground. The body components are not always exactly the same even when the body was put together in Bowling Green. And if the car was ever damaged, it may not have been repaired exactly as new so any measurement would not necessarily be the same as before.

Ride height is measured from certain measured spots on the frame rails to ground and with a specific cargo load. There will be information in the FSM about ride height. And ride height is different betwee coupes and convertibles because of the X-brace found on 'verts.

Shocks should not completely control the vehicle height. Note that the OEM rear spring bolts have a castle nut and a cotter pin that goes thru a hole in the bolt shaft. That makes it impossible to change the rear ride height unless you replace the bolt. Longer bolts will lower the rear of the car and "Nyloc" nuts are used to get the desired ride height. Once that is done, a 4-wheel alignment should be done.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:57 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Don't use the distance from the wheel well to the ground. The body components are not always exactly the same even when the body was put together in Bowling Green. And if the car was ever damaged, it may not have been repaired exactly as new so any measurement would not necessarily be the same as before.

Ride height is measured from certain measured spots on the frame rails to ground and with a specific cargo load. There will be information in the FSM about ride height. And ride height is different betwee coupes and convertibles because of the X-brace found on 'verts.

Shocks should not completely control the vehicle height. Note that the OEM rear spring bolts have a castle nut and a cotter pin that goes thru a hole in the bolt shaft. That makes it impossible to change the rear ride height unless you replace the bolt. Longer bolts will lower the rear of the car and "Nyloc" nuts are used to get the desired ride height. Once that is done, a 4-wheel alignment should be done.
About this, last time I've put car on lift I've seen that right tire was loppier than left one, so would assume that right shock absorber isn't loaded as the left is, this affects ride height from left to right...

Always hoping that car wasn't damaged

Last edited by Christi@n; 06-27-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:52 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

Supposed car was been damaged and not properly repaired, how can I determine this? Are some points from frame to ground to measure?

Get notified of new replies

To will ride height adjust affects camber and toe?

Old 08-09-2015, 06:24 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

I've checked my rear spring bolts, right hand bolt end is shortest than ledt hand... About 1/4" infact distance from right wheel well to tire is 1/4" higher than left

At this point what should i do? Seems that is possible to tight a little right bolt... Though wouldn't make a mess??

Is it correct to tight right bolt this case... Or how already said herethe ride height has a lot of points need to be checked
Old 08-09-2015, 06:48 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

I've checked my rear spring bolts, right hand bolt end is shortest than ledt hand... About 1/4" infact distance from right wheel well to tire is 1/4" higher than left

At this point what should i do? Seems that is possible to tight a little right bolt... Though wouldn't make a mess??

Is it correct to tight right bolt this case... Or how already said herethe ride height has a lot of points need to be checked
Theoretically if you "lowered" the NUT on the R/R bolt the R/R would lower and the L/F would increase. That is pure "theory" and I doubt that the 1/4" you mention would create a difference that you can measure. How long are your rear bolts? Measure from under-head to the tip. Do your bolts have provisions to be cotter-keyed as the OE are?

I really believe it's time for you to drive it and "forget about the dimensions you keep mentioning.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:24 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Theoretically if you "lowered" the NUT on the R/R bolt the R/R would lower and the L/F would increase. That is pure "theory" and I doubt that the 1/4" you mention would create a difference that you can measure.

I really believe it's time for you to drive it and "forget about the dimensions you keep mentioning.

Overthinking can be hazardous to your health.....

Quick Reply: will ride height adjust affects camber and toe?