C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

blower motor heat / A/C

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 05:47 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Default blower motor heat / A/C

So I am kind of disappointed in my blower motor. The car is a 96 with the automatic temperature controlled system.

The blower motor works and seems to get faster when I manually crank it up to 10. However, it never really seems to blow very hard. Now granted I am comparing it to two relatively new vehicles as a reference but this blower seems rather anemic at best. It does shift modes from vents to floor and mixed. Everything appears to be working in the system.

Does this seem normal to you or does anyone think my blower motor may be on the way out?

Are there any tweaks I can do to make it better?
Old 05-22-2015, 11:28 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Any improvement/increased speed when you switch to max A/C?
Old 05-23-2015, 12:34 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I have always thought the airflow in the C4 HVAC system is rather poor. My experience is with the system in my '86, so maybe it got better in 1990...
Old 05-23-2015, 01:18 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I have always thought the airflow in the C4 HVAC system is rather poor. My experience is with the system in my '86, so maybe it got better in 1990...
Cliff, my only experience with a C4 has been with a '92,'93. Both year fans produced significant air flow
in max A/C mode. So, maybe, the early C4s do not produce high air flow.

The fan in OP's 1996 should blow strong in max A/C. There may be a problem with the switch,
or blower motor.

Last edited by don hall; 05-23-2015 at 01:26 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:30 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

My 86 was pretty pathetic air flow wise when I bought it. I actually modded it and got it working pretty good. The bad news is I don't remember what I did

When I get to fooling with my 87's stuff more this summer if I remember what I did to the 86 I'll post it in here.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:45 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Originally Posted by crowz
My 86 was pretty pathetic air flow wise when I bought it. I actually modded it and got it working pretty good. The bad news is I don't remember what I did

When I get to fooling with my 87's stuff more this summer if I remember what I did to the 86 I'll post it in here.
That is interesting, crowz. Owned vettes in the 60s and 70s, and they all had decent blowers. Don't know why the 80s vettes would be lacking in air flow.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:18 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

The more I thought about it after posting that the more I think I put the blower wheel and motor out of a Cadillac I had in it. Im going to go thru some of my old stuff and see what I can find.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:18 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by seabright
Any improvement/increased speed when you switch to max A/C?
I apologize for the delayed response and thanks for all of the replies.

The blower does pick up some when switched to MAX A/C. The airflow does shift through all of the vents as selected by the controller so the system is operating as designed. My only concern is airflow from the blower itself.

Being in Maine, I mostly use the heater. With the top down and the heater on max (90) and blower on max (10), the air flow is less than dramatic. I can only compare this to my Jeep TJ in the same conditions, which could cause first degree burns.

Don't have another C4 to compare to here. My only other experience with a C4 was in Southern Florida where the setting was MAC A/C all of the time unless you were taking the early morning chill (60 degrees) out of the air.

So in short, I have no idea if all C4's have pathetic blower motors or if I am just the lucky one.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:00 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by kg4fku
So I am kind of disappointed in my blower motor. The car is a 96 with the automatic temperature controlled system.

The blower motor works and seems to get faster when I manually crank it up to 10. However, it never really seems to blow very hard. Now granted I am comparing it to two relatively new vehicles as a reference but this blower seems rather anemic at best. It does shift modes from vents to floor and mixed. Everything appears to be working in the system.

Does this seem normal to you or does anyone think my blower motor may be on the way out?

Are there any tweaks I can do to make it better?
All things being equal I think you are right on target. My 94 works about the same as the systems are pretty identical. I have found that flushing the heater core once a year does help keep the heat working at its best performance. My A/C blows pretty good but not like my 98 Jeep or 01 Silverado. It's hard to quantify the air coming out and compare it on the Forum. But I do have a difference when I go to A/C fresh air top and bottom. Less comes out of the top. Sometimes evaporators can clog up some due to the age and operating and environmental conditions. It's hard to say but it sounds like you're in the zone. We all have some wiggle room though.

Get notified of new replies

To blower motor heat / A/C

Quick Reply: blower motor heat / A/C