C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 08:02 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
HEI "in the 70's" used centrifugal and vacuum advance....tunable.
Later HEI's had the ECM tuning the advance, so also tunable for those w/the right tools. Soooo HEI isn't a detriment to engines w/low RPM tq.
The timing curve is not specific to, or because of the fact that it's "HEI"...it's tuned in, just like any distributor, or any electronically controlled EFI system.

HEI's may "fall off at high RPM", but 4000 isn't what we call "high RPM" and it's certainly not any where near where a stock HEI will start to have any issues. When an HEI does begin to fail (due to high RPM) it's the coil -easily replaceable. Anyway, HEI's in proper working order are way better than good enough for most 383 builds that are done on this or any forums.

Reading comprehension is not typically an issue for me, and it wasn't here either. The limiting factor on the 383 you have was due to the stock, un-ported intake...not the HEI -as you implied.
Accel and others sell a kit to "reprogram" the centrifugal advance that includes new weights and springs. They also sell a little electronics module that is supposed to improve higher RPM performance. Those have been around a long time and I knew lots of people who put them in 1970s HEI distribtors. However you are correct to my understanding that other than at startup or "failover" times the ECM on a 1984 will be controlling spark advance and those parts basically have no effect under normal operation.

FWIW, I bought another complete CFI system off eBay... I wanted the cleaner cover anyway to replace mine which has some cosmetic issues and it was just as cheap to buy a complete one as just the cover... And a whole lot cheaper than a Renegade...

Soo... Now I think instead of buying a Renegade intake I may try my hand at porting out this other one. I may also try boring out the throttle bodies to 2". I know where I can get 2" throttle vanes and 90lb/hr injectors from a 7.4L TBI and it doesn't look hard to swap the injectors or throttle vanes. All I need to do is find where to get the steel bushings for the shaft.

All this may not even end up costing as much as I thought it would. I love a DIY project, although I am often a little slow in getting them done...
Old 05-26-2015, 10:12 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by softwarejanitor
Soo... Now I think instead of buying a Renegade intake I may try my hand at porting out this other one. I may also try boring out the throttle bodies to 2". I know where I can get 2" throttle vanes and 90lb/hr injectors from a 7.4L TBI and it doesn't look hard to swap the injectors or throttle vanes. All I need to do is find where to get the steel bushings for the shaft.

All this may not even end up costing as much as I thought it would. I love a DIY project, although I am often a little slow in getting them done...
You've got the right idea. FYI, porting the intake is the "money" mod. The thing is so restrictive, the more you port, the more power you'll get. Port all the way through the runners (not the the ends) and go until the walls, floor and ceilings are paper thin. If you go through, fix w/an epoxy such as JB weld.

I don't know if you'll need the 90 pph injectors for a mild 350. I've seen and I myself have run ~250 horse 350's w/CFI on the stock injectors just fine. When I moved to a 400 sbc, (~300 hp) then I definitely needed the bigger injectors and more fuel pump.

TB boring won't help power at all on a stock or stockish engine. What it will do is increase throttle response, or the "touchiness" of the throttle at low angels. Proceed at your own discretion there.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:29 AM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

yes porting is the "fun"way to go pics of my porting jobb under my profile ! more fun making stuff than just go by stuff http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbide-Burr-SC-3NF-6-Cylindrical-Ball-Nose-Aluminum-Cut-1-4-x-3-8-x-3-4-x-/161402543701?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2594575e55 http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=101038 http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-16-938-Flex-Hone-Flex-Hone-Brush-Research-Cylinder-Hone-180-grit-24mm-/231520949595?hash=item35e7b9555b https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...re-intake.html

Last edited by corvettenorway; 05-26-2015 at 11:46 AM.

Quick Reply: 1984 upgrades