C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 03:41 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 1984 upgrades

What I'm thinking about:

headers (car already has a cat back system)
Renegade intake (now that apparently they are making them again)
having the throttle bodies bored to 2" and steel bushings installed
90lb/hr injectors
1985-1988 fuel pump
Accel Brute Thunder HEI Super Coil
upgraded plugs and high performance wires

Do I need to get a different EPROM, newer ECM or something like an MSD box?

Sometime in the future:

aluminum heads (Dart? Edelbrock?) with big valves, smaller chambers & larger ports
moderate hydraulic roller cam
1.6 ratio roller tip rocker arms
double roller timing chain

What do you think about:

delete AIR & EGR and possibly the cat since I am exempt from the TX smog check (yes, I know it is sehr streng verbotten by the EPA)

Anything else I should consider?
Old 05-22-2015, 04:11 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Not being smart..... 1996 LT4?
Old 05-22-2015, 04:24 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Originally Posted by seabright
Not being smart..... 1996 LT4?
Out of my price range. People still want $10k for them around here.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:31 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Its FAR cheapers to sell what you have and move into the L98 motor now and then slide into an lt1 later if that's your goal. Heck getting into the lt1 isn't that hard.

If you car is even remotely nice looks wise you shouldn't spend more than $1000 to move up to a newer model which is a better platform for modding.

My gut reaction is enjoy what you have but Im older now then when I had my 86 and went performance nuts back then. So this time around I just wanted to drive it and enjoy it. Which is funny since what I bought this time turned out to be modded to heck and back.

Anyways the 84 is a great car but if hp is your goal its far cheaper to move into a newer car and let someone else enjoy the 84 as a factory crossfire. Im not saying you cant get there with the 84 its just a much more expensive road to get there with it than a later model.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:38 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by softwarejanitor
Out of my price range. People still want $10k for them around here.
Your parts list you listed will cost that or more; just a thought. I would assume you are not throwing those parts on a tired motor and tranny....all said and done you will have an expensive 84.

Last edited by 856SPEED; 05-22-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:50 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Originally Posted by crowz
Its FAR cheapers to sell what you have and move into the L98 motor now and then slide into an lt1 later if that's your goal. Heck getting into the lt1 isn't that hard.

If you car is even remotely nice looks wise you shouldn't spend more than $1000 to move up to a newer model which is a better platform for modding.
Realistically around here I have a $3500-$5000 car, which is what even a nice looking early C4 is selling for around here. My luck selling cars is awful so probably towards the bottom of that range. As I said, its difficult to find a later C4 for under $8-$10k around here unless it has a ton of miles and/or other issues.

My gut reaction is enjoy what you have but Im older now then when I had my 86 and went performance nuts back then. So this time around I just wanted to drive it and enjoy it. Which is funny since what I bought this time turned out to be modded to heck and back.

Anyways the 84 is a great car but if hp is your goal its far cheaper to move into a newer car and let someone else enjoy the 84 as a factory crossfire. Im not saying you cant get there with the 84 its just a much more expensive road to get there with it than a later model.
I was figuring I could do the easy and fairly inexpensive bolt-on stuff now. I know that the intake + exhaust work is probably only worth 20-30 HP, but that is enough to be noticeable... and after thinking about it... maybe just do a crate long block later (like a couple years down the road) for the other upgrades.

Last edited by softwarejanitor; 05-22-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:56 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
Your parts list you listed will cost that or more; just a thought. I would assume you are not throwing those parts on a tired motor and tranny....all said and done you will have an expensive 84.
$10k for what I listed? Maybe if the headers are gold plated or something?

I've priced out most of the parts and although some of them are a bit expensive, I can't see it adding up to nearly that... And if I was to get a later C4 I'd probably still be looking at part upgrades or replacements anyway, so I can't see how I'd be getting off much cheaper that way...
Old 05-22-2015, 05:03 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

The biggest problem is there never was a market for crossfire performance. That isn't a problem bolt on wise but will be a hassle when you get outside what the factory computer can handle which will happen pretty fast.

Then your looking at $1000 or more for an aftermarket computer setup. To me the crossfire cars are actually a collector item sooner than the l98's or lt1's will be. Being a 1 year only car. But that's debatable.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:06 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Originally Posted by crowz
The biggest problem is there never was a market for crossfire performance. That isn't a problem bolt on wise but will be a hassle when you get outside what the factory computer can handle which will happen pretty fast.
The EPROM programmer guys have an adapter to plug a laster TPI ECM into a 1984, so that shouldn't be too big an issue if/when I get there.

Then your looking at $1000 or more for an aftermarket computer setup. To me the crossfire cars are actually a collector item sooner than the l98's or lt1's will be. Being a 1 year only car. But that's debatable.
This car, while it looks O.K. is probably never going to be an NCRS collector queen... its a driver.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:33 PM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

go for the inntake , pump , 1,6 r tip , filter , headers , first then have fun
Old 05-22-2015, 05:42 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

$10k for what I listed? Maybe if the headers are gold plated or something?

I've priced out most of the parts and although some of them are a bit expensive, I can't see it adding up to nearly that... And if I was to get a later C4 I'd probably still be looking at part upgrades or replacements anyway, so I can't see how I'd be getting off much cheaper that way...
Trust me....you can't add part prices and come to a cost conclusion....been there and done that.....you are going to run into other issues along the way requiring additional costs....
Old 05-22-2015, 05:45 PM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

been there and done that !!!
Old 05-22-2015, 10:05 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

What I'm thinking about:

headers (car already has a cat back system)
Renegade intake (now that apparently they are making them again)
having the throttle bodies bored to 2" and steel bushings installed
90lb/hr injectors
1985-1988 fuel pump
Accel Brute Thunder HEI Super Coil
upgraded plugs and high performance wires

Do I need to get a different EPROM, newer ECM or something like an MSD box?

Sometime in the future:

aluminum heads (Dart? Edelbrock?) with big valves, smaller chambers & larger ports
moderate hydraulic roller cam
1.6 ratio roller tip rocker arms
double roller timing chain

What do you think about:

delete AIR & EGR and possibly the cat since I am exempt from the TX smog check (yes, I know it is sehr streng verbotten by the EPA)

Anything else I should consider?
Add Headers and replace the ignitions parts (make sure you have new plugs, wires, and coil), make sure all your vacuum hoses are new. Then enjoy your 84 C4 and drive it until you need new tires. Then you can add wider wheels and bigger tires. Give your 84 C4 a bigger profile. I think everyone here wants you to enjoy your 84 but there only so many things you can do to make your car go faster other than trade for a “newer” C4 without breaking the bank.
I have an 88 L-98 and that I know will never keep-up with a C7, but I do try here and there.

Oh, keep the paint looking fresh.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:31 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

from what i've seen on this forum, lots of modded 85 and up...not so many crossfires.. give it some thought before you invest a lot of money...i'm guessing it'd take a lot before you stop getting your doors blown off by other models.....
Old 05-23-2015, 09:37 AM
84Z51J
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a very similar plan for my '84, which just arrived yesterday! Right now I have the Renegade, a set of Hooker LTs, and part of my exhaust on-hand. I figure I'll make it "sound" like a 'Vette before it "goes" like a 'Vette, due to budgetary concerns 😁 But much of what you have is on my list as well for down the road. I'll probably post my own thread eventually here, so I'll get down to brass tax.

I'm seeing some discouragement here from guys concerned about the cost of a quick Crossfire. While that's certainly a valid notion, and you could very easily make more power by trading up to a newer year, I think for the OP (and myself) that is not quite the point.

I'm of the opinion that it will be the journey, and not necessarily the strictly tq/hp results, that will be truly fulfilling. Hours of wrenching and sweat to earn your gains. Taking something that is "slow" from the factory, and making great improvements over stock is an accomplishment in itself, and I would venture a guess that the OP feels the same.

That's why you soup up a Crossfire. Not to go fast...but to go faster!
Old 05-23-2015, 12:51 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettenorway
go for the inntake , pump , 1,6 r tip , filter , headers , first then have fun

Originally Posted by 84Z51J
I'm seeing some discouragement here from guys concerned about the cost of a quick Crossfire.
Typical of posters who either:
A. Never had a CFI 'Vette
B. Had one, failed at making successful mods, and now say it can't be done.

The journey IS the best part....that and having a car that does what it "shouldn't do" going by conventional "wisdom".
Old 05-23-2015, 02:54 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Mod and enjoy your ride!!

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 upgrades

Old 05-23-2015, 04:22 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI

The journey IS the best part....that and having a car that does what it "shouldn't do" going by conventional "wisdom".
How about some nitrous?
Old 05-23-2015, 04:27 PM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

The journey IS the best part
Old 05-23-2015, 06:01 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

not really fair....the man asked for opinions....are we always supposed to agree?....I think it's valid to state that the crossfire isn't going to be the "beast" that some guys can make later models into. ..and if you do, it's going to cost more than a few bucks.....I think that's sound advice for him to consider...

Quick Reply: 1984 upgrades