C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1992 LT1-no start due to short to IC circuit 423. How to find the short?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 03:52 PM
Den14
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1992 LT1-no start due to short to IC circuit 423. How to find the short?

Used the FSM to determine why the car set a DTC 41. I have voltage to "B"(white wire) on ICM harness. Way too much! The FSM asks if there is at least .5 volts and there is almost 11 volts! I think it's safe to say that this is why the DTC 41 is being set. Checked "A" (black/red) from Opti to ECM and had proper voltage, eliminating the ECM as the problem. What it comes down to for me is, where and why is the voltage so high to the ICM, and how do I fix it? The FSM is unclear about the procedure under these circumstances. Ideas? Thanks Forum!
Old 05-22-2015, 06:34 PM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Den14
Used the FSM to determine why the car set a DTC 41. I have voltage to "B"(white wire) on ICM harness. Way too much! The FSM asks if there is at least .5 volts and there is almost 11 volts! I think it's safe to say that this is why the DTC 41 is being set. Checked "A" (black/red) from Opti to ECM and had proper voltage, eliminating the ECM as the problem. What it comes down to for me is, where and why is the voltage so high to the ICM, and how do I fix it? The FSM is unclear about the procedure under these circumstances. Ideas? Thanks Forum!
You disconnect the plug at the ignition control module.
Ignition On.

With a Voltmeter set to DC one probe to ground and the other
probe to Pin B on the connector (White wire) you should measure
no more than .5 volts DC.

You said you measure 11 volts DC?

If that's true they say to turn the ignition Off.
Unplug the Gray connector at the ECM.

Turn the ignition On verify the voltage is zero on the White wire.
If there is any voltage on the White wire the wire is shorted to another power source.

If you measure zero volts the ECM is the problem and where the 11 volts is coming from.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:05 PM
Den14
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hooked on Vettes
You disconnect the plug at the ignition control module.
Ignition On.

With a Voltmeter set to DC one probe to ground and the other
probe to Pin B on the connector (White wire) you should measure
no more than .5 volts DC.

You said you measure 11 volts DC?

If that's true they say to turn the ignition Off.
Unplug the Gray connector at the ECM.

Turn the ignition On verify the voltage is zero on the White wire.
If there is any voltage on the White wire the wire is shorted to another power source.

If you measure zero volts the ECM is the problem and where the 11 volts is coming from.
I will try it tonight and thank you. I have another ECM here so I will trade them out. Do you think it could be in the PROM? The grey connector on the back of the ECM, is that correct? BTW ... there is no voltage with the ignition off when I ran the test per the FSM. Thanks for the advice and I will follow it.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:53 PM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

It can't be the Prom.

You turn the ignition On and measure the voltage on the White wire circuit 423 at Pin B of the ignition control module.

The voltage should be less than .5 volts DC

If the voltage is less than .5 volts DC you change the meter to read AC.
Crank the engine and the meter should read a changing
1 to 4 volts AC.

That is normal.

If when you turn the ignition on and you read 11 volts DC
that's bad news.

To find out where the 11 volts is coming from you disconnect the
4 pin connector at the ignition control module.

Turn the ignition On.
If you still read 11 volts DC on the White wire you disconnect the gray connector
at the ECM.

If you still read 11 volts DC the White wire is shorted to a voltage source and that is where the 11 volts is coming from.

If you read zero volts on the White wire the problem is the ECM.

Last edited by Hooked on Vettes; 05-22-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:36 AM
Den14
Instructor

It can't be the Prom.

You turn the ignition On and measure the voltage on the White wire circuit 423 at Pin B of the ignition control module.

The voltage should be less than .5 volts DC

If the voltage is less than .5 volts DC you change the meter to read AC.
Crank the engine and the meter should read a changing
1 to 4 volts AC.

That is normal.

If when you turn the ignition on and you read 11 volts DC
that's bad news.

To find out where the 11 volts is coming from you disconnect the
4 pin connector at the ignition control module.

Turn the ignition On.
If you still read 11 volts DC on the White wire you disconnect the gray connector
at the ECM.

If you still read 11 volts DC the White wire is shorted to a voltage source and that is where the 11 volts is coming from.

If you read zero volts on the White wire the problem is the ECM.
Followed your advice. The ICM harness is still getting over 11 volts to it after disconnecting the ECM. The two outer terminals on the harness are both getting the same voltage. Start chasing the white wire down I imagine? Is there supposed to be a constant voltage supply to both of those terminals with the ignition on? I know there has to be the 4.5 or below to the white wire. Does the other side of the terminal require the 12 volt supply? Thanks for the troubleshooting help! Just to clarify... When you refer to " pin B ", are you referring to the harness or the wire that goes to the " B" on the ICM itself?

Last edited by Den14; 05-23-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:37 AM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

The ICM harness is still getting over 11 volts to it after disconnecting the ECM.
Not good but that eliminates the ECM.

With the ECM Gray plug still disconnected.
Now disconnect the four pin ICM connector plug.
With ignition On you should measure zero volts on Pin B White wire on the disconnected
end of the wire harness plug. NOT PIN B on the ICM.

The two outer terminals on the harness are both getting the same voltage
That's normal. Both wires will be around 12 volts with ignition On.

Start chasing the white wire down I imagine?
If both the ICM plug and Gray ECM plug are disconnected and you still have 11 volts on the Pin B White wire in the harness. Yes something is wrong and the White wire is shorted to a power source.

Here's the schematic.

The Ignition Control Module has a 4 pin connector.

Pin A Pink/Black wire. (With ignition On will have 12 volts).

Pin B White wire is the one you say has 11 volts on it and goes to ECM pin A12. This is the signal from the ECM to the ICM to control the coil and should have less than .5 volts DC on it with the ignition On.

Pin C Black wire is Ground.
Pin D White wire is the control wire the Ignition Control Module grounds to fire the coil and will measure around 12 volts with the ignition On.

If you unplug the Gray connector at the ECM and turn the ignition On and still have 11 volts on Pin B White wire while the ICM plug is still connected to the ICM either the ICM is bad or the 11 volts is coming from the White wire.

To verify that you disconnect the Ignition Control Module 4 pin connector and with one probe to ground and the other probe on Pin B White wire of the disconnect plug you should read zero volts because both ends of the cable are disconnected.

If you read 11 volts the White wire is getting voltage from another source so you need to trace the Pin B White wire and see where it's shorted to another wire some where in the harness.

If you measure zero volts the ICM is bad.

If you replace the ICM make sure you coat the backside of the ICM with heat sink compound.
Some may come with the new ICM. If not you can purchase a small tube of it from Radio Shack. It's called heat sink compound or thermal paste.

Last edited by Hooked on Vettes; 05-23-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:10 AM
Den14
Instructor

Not good but that eliminates the ECM.

With the ECM Gray plug still disconnected.
Now disconnect the four pin ICM connector plug.
With ignition On you should measure zero volts on Pin B White wire on the disconnected
end of the wire harness plug. NOT PIN B on the ICM.

That's normal. Both wires will be around 12 volts with ignition On.

If the ICM plug disconnected and the ECM Gray plug disconnected and you still have 11 volts on the Pin B whiter wire in the harness. Yes something is wrong and the White wire is shorted to a power source.

Here's the schematic.

The Ignition Control Module has a 4 pin connector.

Pin A Pink/Black wire. (With ignition On will have 12 volts).

Pin B White wire is the one you say has 11 volts on it and goes to ECM pin A12. This is the signal from the ECM to the ICM to control the coil.

This is the wire that should have less than .5 volts DC on it with the ignition On.

Pin C Black wire is Ground.
Pin D White wire is the control wire the Ignition Control Module grounds to fire the coil and will measure around 12 volts with the ignition On.

If you unplugged the Gray connector at the ECM and turn the ignition On and still have 11 volts on Pin B White wire while the ICM plug is still connected to the ICM I'd say the Ignition Control Module is bad and is where the 11 volts is coming from.

To verify that you disconnect the Ignition Control Module 4 pin connector and with one probe to ground and the other probe on Pin B White wire of the disconnect plug you should read zero volts because both ends of the cable are disconnected.

If you read 11 volts the White wire is getting voltage from another source so you need to trace the Pin B White wire and see where it's shorted to another wire some where in the harnesss.

Thanks for the schematic. I have the FSM. What is confusing me is the wire colors. Looking at the connector that goes to the ICM, the color of the wires in this sequence ( I will load a photo) pink/black, white, black, white. I am confused by the FSM schematic showing the order as pink/black, pink/black, white, white. Am I testing the connector for the correct voltage or should I be testing somewhere other than the ICM 4-pin connector? As far as the A12 connection, is that contained in the grey ECM plug I disconnected to check the voltage at the 4-pin plug? I am plainly confused at the moment. Thank you for helping to clarify this for me. The wire colors has me wondering if I am even testing the right circuits. From the pink/black and white wires they just go to the coil plugs. I must not be in the right location.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:12 AM
Den14
Instructor

Thanks for the schematic. I have the FSM. What is confusing me is the wire colors. Looking at the connector that goes to the ICM, the color of the wires in this sequence ( I will load a photo) pink/black, white, black, white. I am confused by the FSM schematic showing the order as pink/black, pink/black, white, white. Am I testing the connector for the correct voltage or should I be testing somewhere other than the ICM 4-pin connector? As far as the A12 connection, is that contained in the grey ECM plug I disconnected to check the voltage at the 4-pin plug? I am plainly confused at the moment. Thank you for helping to clarify this for me. The wire colors has me wondering if I am even testing the right circuits. From the pink/black and white wires they just go to the coil plugs. I must not be in the right location.
Here are the photos. The photo is not good but the wires at the connector are pink/black, white,black,white.
Attached Images   
Old 05-23-2015, 11:38 AM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

It appears the connector has the pin out etched into the connector.

The schematic can be confusing because it's drawn for convenience so the drawing looks nice and neat. The actual connector pin outs of the connector are in sequence ABCDE.

The most probably cause for the 11 volt problem is the ICM but to verify you need to disconnect the ECM Gray plug and the ICM plug and with the ignition On verify you have zero volts on the Pin B White wire of the harness plug. (Not at the ICM Pin B). If that's correct the
11 volts must be coming from the ICM which indicates its bad.

Last edited by Hooked on Vettes; 05-23-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:13 PM
Den14
Instructor

It appears the connector has the pin out etched into the connector.

The schematic can be confusing because it's drawn for convenience so the drawing looks nice and neat. The actual connector pin outs of the connector are in sequence ABCDE.

The most probably cause for the 11 volt problem is the ICM but to verify you need to disconnect the ECM Gray plug and the ICM plug and with the ignition On verify you have zero volts on the Pin B White wire of the harness plug. (Not at the ICM Pin B). If that's correct the
11 volts must be coming from the ICM which indicates its bad.

So I went back through the FSM troubleshooting sequence and it turns out that"B" has continuity to A12 on the ECM and "A" and "D" have voltage to them on the ICM harness. It also says to set the tester to B+ and probe "C". I don't have a tester that has this option of B+ I guess. Is there another way to conduct the test with a Multi-meter or standard test light. If not, would a parts store have this type of tester? Once again I am at a standstill. A little back story to the problem is when the car quit running. I had noticed a small stumble on the interstate coming home and the then it died half of a block from home. I let it sit for about an hour. Went to push it home and gave it another try and it started back up , at which time I drove it into the garage. It would not restart later. Sounded like a coil getting hot and going bad. Put another one in and it fired right up. After running it for about 15 minutes it just died. It has not fired back up since. At this point I did not have the FSM, so I simply put another ICM in it.Still nothing. I have another ECM so I switched them out and nothing using the same PROM. Tried another PROM. Nothing.Opti is new. Plug wires and harness from Opti is new as well. This is the point that I am at now. The B+ "C" test on the ICM harness. After I figure that one out I can move along to the next hurdle. Has anyone ever gotten the wrong or defective ICM from a parts store? Sorry for the long diatribe, but, as usual, my Forum kin have put me on the right path so I thought I would share the history. Thanks again!
Old 05-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Check your PM box
Old 02-05-2018, 06:16 AM
LAGATTU
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your PM box
Hi Hooked Vettes ,Den 14,
I wake up one old thread ,form 2015 ,about this problem ,because it's 100 % the problem I have .So can you tell me what is PCM ,(is it same as ECM ?) ,and also what's the result ,because ,it's my last step ,now ,before trying to fire again ..........Thanks in advance

Get notified of new replies

To 1992 LT1-no start due to short to IC circuit 423. How to find the short?

Quick Reply: 1992 LT1-no start due to short to IC circuit 423. How to find the short?