C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

87 C4 Starting and Engine Running problem

Old 05-24-2015, 12:06 AM
brotherfak
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 87 C4 Starting and Engine Running problem

Ok, where to start.
so my 87 C4 will not start, when it does it runs rough then dies. after that it is very difficult to start.
what I have replace.
ELECTRICAL:
Spark Plugs, plug wires, ignition coil, rotor, cap, ignition module.
FUEL:
Fuel Filter, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Fuel Pump Filter.
AIR:
Mass Air Flow Sensor, air filter.
I Have tested all the injectors, fuel pump relay, MAS relay, and they all test ok.
Now to the good stuff. When I start the engine sometime it will start. it idles rough then dies. when it dies I can hear clicking in the engine compartment. when the key is turned on and not running I hear random clicking. sounds like the fuel injectors. I have inspected all the air lines and they seem good. unplugging sensors like the TPS or MAS. has random effects but does not solve any problems.
When I turn the key on the fuel pressure rises to about 40# then clicks off and immediately drops to 20-15#. when the car does run it hangs out around 40# but pulses.
now I reach out to you forum for any help.
Thanks,
Old 05-24-2015, 12:58 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

'check engine' light 'on' - any codes?
Old 05-24-2015, 10:05 AM
brotherfak
Cruising

Originally Posted by seabright
'check engine' light 'on' - any codes?
Ahh, yes the codes. I just went and pulled the codes, 32 and 34.
of course 34 was the reason I replace the MAS in the first place. it comes and goes as I reset them. 32 is always there.
In other note I just started the car and it fired right up after sitting all night. ran for about 2-3 mins then quit. rough idle. I restarted it and gave it a little gas. about 2200-3200 rpm I kept it there and about 2-3 mins it Died.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:40 AM
cmontel727
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brotherfak
Ahh, yes the codes. I just went and pulled the codes, 32 and 34.
of course 34 was the reason I replace the MAS in the first place. it comes and goes as I reset them. 32 is always there.
In other note I just started the car and it fired right up after sitting all night. ran for about 2-3 mins then quit. rough idle. I restarted it and gave it a little gas. about 2200-3200 rpm I kept it there and about 2-3 mins it Died.
At this point I would check your fuel pressure, put a tester on the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Pressure should be around 43psi at idle, report back your results.

The codes you are getting are for the maf and egr. Did you check or replace the maf relay? This ten dollar part can cause the dreaded code 34? Have tried running the car with the maf disconnected?

Last edited by cmontel727; 05-24-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:50 AM
brotherfak
Cruising

Originally Posted by cmontel727
At this point I would check your fuel pressure, put a tester on the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Pressure should be around 43psi at idle, report back your results.

The codes you are getting are for the maf and egr. Did you check or replace the maf relay? This ten dollar part can cause the dreaded code 34? Have tried running the car with the maf disconnected?
I have initial pressure of 38 when the key is turned on. then it immediately drops to 20 then slow to 0. Now when the car is running it is at 38-42. the needle bounces in this range.
I have not replaced the sensor but I did test it and it seemed fine. I will try replacing that as well.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:51 PM
brotherfak
Cruising

another symptom that may help. When the key is in the on position and not running. I will hear random clicking. it sounds like the Fuel injectors are firing without the car running. hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:31 PM
C4SS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, where to start.
so my 87 C4 will not start, when it does it runs rough then dies. after that it is very difficult to start.
what I have replace.
ELECTRICAL:
Spark Plugs, plug wires, ignition coil, rotor, cap, ignition module.
FUEL:
Fuel Filter, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Fuel Pump Filter.
AIR:
Mass Air Flow Sensor, air filter.
I Have tested all the injectors, fuel pump relay, MAS relay, and they all test ok.
Now to the good stuff. When I start the engine sometime it will start. it idles rough then dies. when it dies I can hear clicking in the engine compartment. when the key is turned on and not running I
hear random clicking. sounds like the fuel injectors. I have inspected all the air lines and they seem good. unplugging sensors like the TPS or MAS. has random effects but does not solve any problems.
When I turn the key on the fuel pressure rises to about 40# then clicks off and immediately drops to 20-15#. when the car does run it hangs out around 40# but pulses.
now I reach out to you forum for any help.

Thanks,
Sounds similar to my '88 quitting problems.
I'll be watching for your eventual solution.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:54 PM
brotherfak
Cruising

Originally Posted by C4SS
Sounds similar to my '88 quitting problems.
I'll be watching for your eventual solution.
I take it you never got your 88 fixed.

Last edited by brotherfak; 05-24-2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: need to spell check
Old 05-24-2015, 04:12 PM
C4SS
Intermediate

I take it you never got your 88 fixed.
I'm currently working on it. I'm getting some good
advice from forum visitors.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:00 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

........ Did you OHM check the injectors ? Multecs should be very close to 16 ohms ... since they are batch fired , if even one injector is bad it will electrically affect all of them ........
Old 05-24-2015, 06:05 PM
brotherfak
Cruising

Originally Posted by C409
........ Did you OHM check the injectors ? Multecs should be very close to 16 ohms ... since they are batch fired , if even one injector is bad it will electrically affect all of them ........
I did ohm them all. 16 ohms all 8 of them.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:27 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

another symptom that may help. When the key is in the on position and not running. I will hear random clicking. it sounds like the Fuel injectors are firing without the car running. hope this helps.
Seems unlikely. The ECM uses DRPs (Distributor Reference Pulses) from the ignition module inside the distributor to synchronize the pulsing of the injectors to the rotation of the engine. Without those DRPs (engine not rotating) the injectors should not pulse.

I suggest poking around with a mechanic's stethoscope or a length of hose to localize the source of the clicking.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:29 PM
C4SS
Intermediate

Have you found the solution yet? I haven't found mine yet, but
I'm looking at the TDM system; theft deterrent module.

Here's a test, if you have a second key, try it. The chips in them
go bad sometimes and affect starting and running.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:39 PM
cmontel727
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have initial pressure of 38 when the key is turned on. then it immediately drops to 20 then slow to 0. Now when the car is running it is at 38-42. the needle bounces in this range.
I have not replaced the sensor but I did test it and it seemed fine. I will try replacing that as well.
Ok the running fuel pressure is good. The next concern I have is that your fuel pressure drops out that quick when you put the key on. Usually when that happens it is one of three issues; bad fuel injectors; bad fuel pressure diaphragm, or a bad check valve on the fuel pump. I'm going with the fuel injectors being problematic, since you replaced the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm and the fuel pump check valve is rarely the culprit.
How old are the injectors? Are they the original mulitecs? Did you ohm them hot after the engine dies?

If you have the FSM you can run various tests to determine which part is causing the quick pressure loss. The test involves pinching off the supply line and then checking fuel pressure loss and then the same procedure for the return line.

I would still try to run the engine with the MAF disconnected, this can help rule out problems in that area as well.

The clicking you are hearing is a concern as well. I would try to trace where this noise is coming from as well.

My car did not run right until an injector change, the original multitecs were the problem. The funny thing is the ohms were in spec when tested.

Last edited by cmontel727; 05-25-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:17 AM
brotherfak
Cruising

Originally Posted by cmontel727
Ok the running fuel pressure is good. The next concern I have is that your fuel pressure drops out that quick when you put the key on. Usually when that happens it is one of three issues; bad fuel injectors; bad fuel pressure diaphragm, or a bad check valve on the fuel pump. I'm going with the fuel injectors being problematic, since you replaced the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm and the fuel pump check valve is rarely the culprit.
How old are the injectors? Are they the original mulitecs? Did you ohm them hot after the engine dies?

If you have the FSM you can run various tests to determine which part is causing the quick pressure loss. The test involves pinching off the supply line and then checking fuel pressure loss and then the same procedure for the return line.

I would still try to run the engine with the MAF disconnected, this can help rule out problems in that area as well.

The clicking you are hearing is a concern as well. I would try to trace where this noise is coming from as well.

My car did not run right until an injector change, the original multitecs were the problem. The funny thing is the ohms were in spec when tested.
I think it would be best if I changed the Injectors. I wish I would have don't that while I had the fuel rail off in the first place.
I did ohm them hot 16 ohms.

The injectors are firing when the car is not running. I have not connected an anoid light to it yet but will soon and video it to post on YouTube. in addition I plan on removing the ignition module again (this is a brand new one) and having it tested or replaced.
Looks like its back to the garage for me.
Thanks for all the advice.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:38 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

The injectors are firing when the car is not running.
IF this is true, I'd be seriously scrutinizing the pick up coil and associated wiring going to the ECM. I'd also be scrutinizing the ground side of the injector harness for shorts to ground.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:26 PM
brotherfak
Cruising

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
IF this is true, I'd be seriously scrutinizing the pick up coil and associated wiring going to the ECM. I'd also be scrutinizing the ground side of the injector harness for shorts to ground.
Any suggestions to test either of those issues?
Now that I think about it I replaced the pick up coil as well.

Last edited by brotherfak; 06-08-2015 at 02:30 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 87 C4 Starting and Engine Running problem

Old 06-08-2015, 02:39 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Not really, The pick up coil isn't likely going to generate a pulse w/o the distributor shaft rotating, but I'd still visually inspect it. More likely I'd inspect the injector harness for shorts to ground. A short to ground, on the ground or "signal" side of the harness would activate the injectors when the key is on (power to the injectors).
Old 06-08-2015, 10:36 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Not really, The pick up coil isn't likely going to generate a pulse w/o the distributor shaft rotating, but I'd still visually inspect it. More likely I'd inspect the injector harness for shorts to ground. A short to ground, on the ground or "signal" side of the harness would activate the injectors when the key is on (power to the injectors).
this^^^

and check your fuel pressure regulator. u said your fuel pressure "bounces" around. never seen it do that unless ur are pulsing the throttle. might just be injectors but it takes 30seconds to check it. pull hose and see if it smells like gas.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:39 AM
brotherfak
Cruising

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
this^^^

and check your fuel pressure regulator. u said your fuel pressure "bounces" around. never seen it do that unless ur are pulsing the throttle. might just be injectors but it takes 30seconds to check it. pull hose and see if it smells like gas.
I just replaced the FPR and I took extreme care not to damage the diaphragm. there is also no smell of gas in the hose.

I did pinch the intake fuel line and got no pressure at the fuel rail. then pinched the return line. now when I turn the key the pressure goes to 38-40#. then clicks and goes to zero. even with the return line pinched.
now if I turn the key on to get pressure then immediately turn it off the pressure holds I did this 3 times and got to 60# at the rail. with the key off it held steady until I released the return line.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 87 C4 Starting and Engine Running problem