C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 11:10 AM
TnEBill
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump

New to this forum, so please forgive, and direct me to the thread, if this question has been asked before.

I have an 89, in which the PS pump turns the opposite direction as the crank. I would like to install a PS pump that turns the same direction as the crank. Is there a pump from another year, that will fit directly in? If not, how about aftermarket?

Thanks!

Bill
Old 06-12-2015, 08:26 AM
TnEBill
Intermediate

According to the parts suppliers web sites I've browsed, the steel pump below fits a 1984-96, which turns opposite of the crank. The aluminum pump fits a 1997-2004, which belt diagrams I've looked at, show it turns the same as the crank. They look almost identical. Can anyone confirm if they are or not?

Bill

Old 06-12-2015, 09:04 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Are you just wanting to do the install using a JY/used pump (CHEAP) or exactly what are you trying to accomplish. It might be easier to help if you explain your intention.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:39 AM
TnEBill
Intermediate

I guess I don't know how to state it any clearer. So, for the third time...I have a pump on the car that turns the opposite direction of the crank (stock). I need to reroute the belt and it would be simplest if I could install a pump that turns the same direction as the crank. Where can I get one??

Bill
Old 06-12-2015, 05:03 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by TnEBill
I guess I don't know how to state it any clearer. So, for the third time...I have a pump on the car that turns the opposite direction of the crank (stock).
And I know no way to answer your question other than tell you there are a few dozen to likely well over 100 that will do what you want BUT what do you want it to accomplish? Power a 600 or 800 gear box a C4 rack or maybe a different rack, in what chassis? There will be multitudes of pulley options also. Plastic composite and steel, press-on and likely even a bolt style retention. If a C4 person was looking to accomplish a "performance" package and require something similar to your request they would likely turn towards TurnOne some might take the opportunity to do an AGR pump. If you're wanting just a JY/used there's likely many choices also but they won't have appropriate valves for either volume or pressure.

That's the second time I've mentioned - what's your intentions so to even things up I'll ask one more time maybe ..What's your intentions?

That's 3 ......
Old 06-12-2015, 06:07 PM
TnEBill
Intermediate

Okay, like I said at the onset, I've got an 89 Corvette. As far as the steering, I think it has a rack and pinion, not sure. It's a stock steering setup, whatever came on the car when it was built. I want a power steering pump, that turns the other way, with a ribbed pulley, that will fit were the stock power steering pump with the flat pulley is now. So whatever the specs are of the pump/pulley I have now, I need the same, only I want it to turn it the other way. I hesitate to use the term's clockwise/counter clockwise, because I don't know what way you would have to face the pump to get the terminology correct.

I feel like I'm saying the same thing over and over again, and get the question, "What are my intentions?" All I want to do is run the belt the other way around the pulley. For this I need a pump that turns the other way. I need it to fit in the same spot, and do what the other pump does. I'm at a loss of how to explain it further. If I knew anything about power steering pumps, I wouldn't be here asking for help...

Bill
Old 06-12-2015, 07:51 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Okay, like I said at the onset, I've got an 89 Corvette. As far as the steering, I think it has a rack and pinion, not sure. It's a stock steering setup, whatever came on the car when it was built. I want a power steering pump, that turns the other way, with a ribbed pulley, that will fit were the stock power steering pump with the flat pulley is now. So whatever the specs are of the pump/pulley I have now, I need the same, only I want it to turn it the other way. I hesitate to use the term's clockwise/counter clockwise, because I don't know what way you would have to face the pump to get the terminology correct.

I feel like I'm saying the same thing over and over again, and get the question, "What are my intentions?" All I want to do is run the belt the other way around the pulley. For this I need a pump that turns the other way. I need it to fit in the same spot, and do what the other pump does. I'm at a loss of how to explain it further. If I knew anything about power steering pumps, I wouldn't be here asking for help...

Bill
Why do you want to try to redesign something that you don't evan understand how it works?

Last edited by antfarmer2; 06-12-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:04 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Only one reason to do that is to move the pump to put a supercharger on the car.

If that's why what charger are you using?

A picture would help a ton on telling you how to set it up.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:43 AM
TnEBill
Intermediate

Never mind guys, I'll look the specs up myself. I thought someone may have already been down this road, and knew which pump would work.

Bill
Old 06-13-2015, 11:36 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

According to the parts suppliers web sites I've browsed, the steel pump below fits a 1984-96, which turns opposite of the crank. The aluminum pump fits a 1997-2004, which belt diagrams I've looked at, show it turns the same as the crank. They look almost identical. Can anyone confirm if they are or not?
The pump in the top picture is not for the LT1, but it may be for the LT5.

The only visible difference in the LT1 pump, and the LS pump is the inlet tube. I cant measure anything, but the LS pump should fit. Also if you don't want an aluminum pump, or just want a cheaper option get the pump for a 2002 5.3.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:21 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

What's the problem with your p/s?
Here's a picture of the belt diagram, are you deleting another pulley or what? Tell us your mods or endgame, someone might have a better solution to your problem then trying to adapt a different p/s pump. Are you getting rid of the air pump? The a/c compressor?
Attached Images  

Last edited by ex-x-fire; 06-13-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:45 PM
TnEBill
Intermediate

At this point, no problem with the PS. Problem is with the belt routing. The quickest fix would be if I could put a PS pump on the car that turns the same direction as the crank, so I can wrap the belt the other way around it. Looks at first blush like the LT1 pump, or a C5 pump will fit the bill. Beyond getting the right pulley for the pump, I was curious if one of these mentioned pumps would work on my car, or if there are other issues I need to consider. That's all I'm really asking.

Bill
Old 06-13-2015, 05:20 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

No the LT1 pump will not work, it also turns the opposite direction as the crank.

Maybe if you would explain why the belt routing is a problem someone may be able to give you better input.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:26 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Maybe he's trying to get rid of the air pump and the belts to long now?
Old 06-14-2015, 11:01 AM
TnEBill
Intermediate

Chevyowner the top photo is of a ZR1 pump. After reading your post, I miss typed my next post. What I meant to say was, "Looks at first blush like the ZR1 pump, or a C5 pump will fit the bill." Both of the sources I looked at (Eckler's and Corvette Central) show pumps for C4's. The first is described as, "Except ZR1", the other is "ZR1". I had found a 1990-95 ZR1 belt routing decal (below), which clearly shows the PS pump inside the belt, which lead me to believe that was the difference in the two pumps, rotation. So, unless there are other major differences with the C4 steering systems, other than the rotation of the pump, it looks like the ZR1 pump would work.

BTW, I don't know how to say this without sounding snarky, but the topic I wish to discuss is power steering pumps, not belt routing, hence the title of the thread. Again, I thought this was a pretty simple question, that would garner a quick "Bill, I would use this part # pump" type of answer. I didn't expect to do this much typing.

Bill

Old 06-14-2015, 12:20 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Well good luck with your hunt.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:43 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

BTW, I don't know how to say this without sounding snarky, but the topic I wish to discuss is power steering pumps, not belt routing, hence the title of the thread. Again, I thought this was a pretty simple question, that would garner a quick "Bill, I would use this part # pump" type of answer. I didn't expect to do this much typing.
Unless you are changing the belt routing there is no need to find a different power steering pump with a different rotation direction.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Pump

Old 06-15-2015, 09:56 AM
TnEBill
Intermediate

Originally Posted by glass slipper
The LT5 power steering pump is driven by the ribbed side of the belt (rotates CW) while the LT1 is driven by the smooth side of the belt (rotates CCW). You can go to:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/
and put in part numbers 6366 for the LT1 and 6365 for the LT5.
Found this comment (as part of a larger comment) on another thread. That's all I needed to know, and answered my original question.

Bill
Old 06-15-2015, 10:03 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Found this comment (as part of a larger comment) on another thread. That's all I needed to know, and answered my original question.

Bill
Good luck to you.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:13 PM
TnEBill
Intermediate

My intentions... Here's a couple of photos showing the belt routing of my car when I first took possession of it.

Notice the belt barely contacts 40% or so of the crank pulley. Under hard acceleration there was more smoke coming off the belt than there was the rear tires. I needed to route the belts in a way to create more wrap on the crank pulley.

Here's the current belt routing, with the new PS pump and pulley.

I now have a solid 70% wrap on the crank pulley, and no more belt slippage.

Bill

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump