C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

87 differential

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 01:00 PM
abenton
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 differential

Had some noise from the rear end so changed the diff oil. Suprised to find oil drain plug didn't work but as I found from threads removed and replace through fill hole....

Question... shot some air into drain hole (thought it might be plugged up) and could hear air bubbling on the fill hole side (with fill plug removed). If this is just a diff case bolt why the air passage to the inside??? Also left the car sit over night with rear drain (?) bolt and fill bolt removed and in the morning some oil had drained from the rear bottom drain (?) hole.

Is the '87 unique or did Elvis stop by and spill some oil to leave me wondering WTF ????
Old 06-13-2015, 03:47 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by abenton
Had some noise from the rear end so changed the diff oil. Suprised to find oil drain plug didn't work but as I found from threads removed and replace through fill hole....

Question... shot some air into drain hole (thought it might be plugged up) and could hear air bubbling on the fill hole side (with fill plug removed). If this is just a diff case bolt why the air passage to the inside??? Also left the car sit over night with rear drain (?) bolt and fill bolt removed and in the morning some oil had drained from the rear bottom drain (?) hole.

Is the '87 unique or did Elvis stop by and spill some oil to leave me wondering WTF ????
There is no "DRAIN" plug on the differential from OE/GM. Post up a snapshot of what you "thought" was a "DRAIN".

Some use a lower cover bolt, drill from the differential to intercept that bore and use it for a drain but it's not particularly effective.

If you removed a cover bolt assuming it was a "drain" you've likely erred. If the cover to differential seal wasn't very good to start with removing a cover bolt likely just let the seam leak. Your blowing air into it likely aggravated the situation OR maybe you're just "trolling"?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-13-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Quick Reply: 87 differential