C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 Power Steering Rack Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 09:45 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Let it sit, I believe that all of the exercise that you gave the rack quite likely aerated the fluid substantially more than what's desired. I'd be tempted to maybe remove what I could with a baster and put some fresh in the reservoir anyway. The rack quite likely still has some assembly lube hanging around. A "suck and fill" a couple times I'd think may be required or desired to get a P/S fluid only into the system. What did you use for a fill?
Old 07-05-2015, 09:49 AM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Let it sit, I believe that all of the exercise that you gave the rack quite likely aerated the fluid substantially more than what's desired. I'd be tempted to maybe remove what I could with a baster and put some fresh in the reservoir anyway. The rack quite likely still has some assembly lube hanging around. A "suck and fill" a couple times I'd think may be required or desired to get a P/S fluid only into the system. What did you use for a fill?
Thank you, i could not find ac delco ps fluid so i used prestone power steering fluid for gm.

I did not notice any leaks, and did as the fsm said, 20 times without the engine running, and 20 times with the eng running front wheels in the air.

Since every part is rebuilt i wasn't sure if it needed to break in somehow.

Should i flush the system, or just use a turkey baster and keep removing and filling fluid?
Old 07-05-2015, 09:55 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by GQ-ROD
Thank you, i could not find ac delco ps fluid so i used prestone power steering fluid for gm.

I did not notice any leaks, and did as the fsm said, 20 times without the engine running, and 20 times with the eng running front wheels in the air.

Since every part is rebuilt i wasn't sure if it needed to break in somehow.

Should i flush the system, or just use a turkey baster and keep removing and filling fluid?
I believe I'd just do a couple "suck and fills". Regardless of my location with a reman rack I'd likely use the GM "COLD CLIMATE" product. With a system that groans now there's even more reason to maybe use the GM CC spec. GM # 12345867 for 32OZ and 12345866 for 16OZ.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-05-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:07 AM
GQ-ROD
Pro

I believe I'd just do a couple "suck and fills". Regardless of my location with a reman rack I'd likely use the GM "COLD CLIMATE" product. With a system that groans now there's even more reason to maybe use the GM CC spec. GM # 12345867 for 32OZ and 12345866 for 16OZ.
Thank you so much for your help, i'll get the correct fluid and replace what's in there and report back !
Old 07-05-2015, 10:08 AM
GQ-ROD
Pro

I'm in florida would it make a difference on which type of fluid is ok?

Quick Reply: 84 Power Steering Rack Leak