C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

87 fuel gauge reads full

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 12:52 AM
zapc
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 87 fuel gauge reads full

hi

have not found my answer reading the posts. im sure its been covered but my friends 87 gas gauge always reads full, He put in a brand new
fuel pump assy without asking me to check it out first , and it still reads full all the time. I checked the old sending unit with a meter, its
a bit jumpy but does seem to work, I tried to measure the new one, it did give a resistance,(wasn't open) don't remember what it was.
Im used to analog gauges that will zero when disconnected, and read max if you short them. what is this one going to do? Im guessing problem with gauge or maybe shorted or pinched wire ? I thought if gauge was good it would read empty if I disconnected wire to sending unit. sorry so long

thanx
Old 06-16-2015, 11:39 AM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I seem to recall something in the tank, the sender perhaps?, gets very dirty over time. There is a specific fuel injector cleaner people recommend dumping into the tank to clean it out... it's supposed to help the fuel gauge read right.

Mine is always wrong, hasn't read accurate in quite some time and I've tried many varieties of injector cleaner in the tank.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:27 PM
zapc
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yeah the gauge always reads full whether or not its connected,
hoping someone knows symptoms of bad cluster/gauge
Old 06-16-2015, 03:43 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by volkswagens-for-life
I seem to recall something in the tank, the sender perhaps?, gets very dirty over time. There is a specific fuel injector cleaner people recommend dumping into the tank to clean it out... it's supposed to help the fuel gauge read right.

Mine is always wrong, hasn't read accurate in quite some time and I've tried many varieties of injector cleaner in the tank.
Maybe all that crap your putting in the tank.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:39 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

This is the definitive article on cleaning the element for the fuel level sending unit:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...h-article.html

I think the gauge will read full if the sending unit is not connected. That would indicate a bad connection or broken wire somewhere, probably at the tank.

Get notified of new replies

To 87 fuel gauge reads full

Quick Reply: 87 fuel gauge reads full