C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Starter or VATS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 08:14 PM
fast.asleep
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Starter or VATS?

I got code 46 (VATS "theft system failure") when I tried to start my car today but with all the on/off testing I did yesterday I think I may have fried the starter. How can I tell if it's VATS related or a dead starter?
Old 06-19-2015, 08:43 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

You could bypass the ignition switch and go directly to the starter to check if the starter is bad ..I have a hand held push button starter switch to spin the starter, but you could just use a jumper cable from the positive battery cable lug to the ignition wire lug on the starter ,this would spin the starter but you have to be careful when doing it this way .Even with a bad starter you should still hear the solinoid click once you get the vats working again, unless the solinoid is fried also.....WW

Last edited by WW7; 06-19-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:57 PM
fast.asleep
Instructor

Originally Posted by WW7
.Even with a bad starter you should still hear the solinoid click once you get the vats working again, unless the solinoid is fried also.....WW
No click from the started at all so I'm guessing VATS is the culprit. I have vats bypassed in the chip and ordered a key bypass to take care of that bit.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:51 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

You should be able to hear the starter enable relay clicking (behind the DIC) when you try to start the engine. If that is not happening then your problem is not the solenoid or starter.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:17 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by fast.asleep
No click from the started at all so I'm guessing VATS is the culprit. I have vats bypassed in the chip and ordered a key bypass to take care of that bit.
There are 3 parts to the vats system...If you have done the delete in the chip, you still need to do the bypass/delete for the key and the "starter enable relay bypass"...All 3 must be done to completely eliminate vats from the car.. The vats delete site with all this info is called ( Vatssucks.com ) ......WW

Last edited by WW7; 06-20-2015 at 05:26 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:30 AM
fast.asleep
Instructor

Originally Posted by WW7
There are 3 parts to the vats system...If you have done the delete in the chip, you still need to do the bypass/delete for the key and the "starter enable relay bypass"...All 3 must be done to completely eliminate vats from the car.. The vats delete site with all this info is called ( Vatssucks.com ) ......WW
awesome site. One more question: My AutoXray reports "theft system failure" does that mean my VATS module is dead? (From what I read on the site I'm not really bypassing vats so much as fooling it into thinking everything is ok)
Old 06-21-2015, 01:09 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Clear the ECM codes and see if the 46 is still there.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:33 PM
fast.asleep
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Clear the ECM codes and see if the 46 is still there.

I'm waiting for the last part of the bypass (pass key bypass from mid America). Im hoping it will be here by Friday. I'll post my results then

BTW: I emailed Corvettejoe and it turns out that while I am fooling the system with these bypasses it wouldn't matter if VATS was bad or not with these bypasses in place.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter or VATS?

Quick Reply: Starter or VATS?