C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Timing problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 09:18 AM
BlueMyMindC4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing problems

89 auto with 99k miles. Purchased a year ago and dont know much about the history on it but someone has spent plenty of time under the hood messing around. So the other day i was driving along at rural speeds and all of a sudden it dies on me. Turned over just fine but wouldnt start, gas in the tank with recent fuel pump and injectors replaced by me last year so i didnt think fuel was the issue. I was checking for a loose connection somewhere, and noticed a blown fuse in INJ1 slot. I put a new one in and tried to start but nothing, checked the fuse and it was blown, 20 amp was in there in place of the factory 7.5 so someone previous may have had issues here. I wiggled wires and tapped the cap etc. tried another fuse and it didnt blow so i cranked it over till it started, think she was flooded so it took a bit. I limped her home and took the cap off to find the rotor in bad shape, the contact on the end fell out and the plastic was all melted around the end. So i went out and installed new cap, rotor, coil, plugs and wires, i was wanting to replace them anyways. I tried to fire her up after and she wouldnt start, then after a couple tries it starting making some bad noises trying to turn over, sounded like the timing was way out. So i tried to line up the rotor to #1 at tdc and it was pointing over at #8 more so, so went out and bought a distributor wrench and a timing gun. I had to lift the distributor up and over a couple teeth to line up to #1. Turned her over and fired up, set to timing to 6*. My high idle (1300) was instantly cured buy setting the timing or atleast much better. Went for a drive and my idle went back up after a short while, came back home and checked the timing again and it was the same. Next day i took the car out to the store and gave her some gas after a stop sign and she sputtered out and died on me again. Checked the INJ1 fuse and sure enough its blown, put a new one in and fired it up and putted back home, checked the timing and its WAY out like 2 inches above the markings. So this is where i now sit. Im far froma mechanic but learning lots owning this beater. This was my first time doing timing work and cap coil rotor etc. i am thinking that for the timing to be that far out i have some mechanical issues, timing chain? Distributor gears worn broke etc? Also why is that fuse blowing? Could that be caused by the timing being so far out? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-29-2015, 10:21 AM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueMyMindC4
89 auto with 99k miles. Purchased a year ago and dont know much about the history on it but someone has spent plenty of time under the hood messing around. So the other day i was driving along at rural speeds and all of a sudden it dies on me. Turned over just fine but wouldnt start, gas in the tank with recent fuel pump and injectors replaced by me last year so i didnt think fuel was the issue. I was checking for a loose connection somewhere, and noticed a blown fuse in INJ1 slot. I put a new one in and tried to start but nothing, checked the fuse and it was blown, 20 amp was in there in place of the factory 7.5 so someone previous may have had issues here. I wiggled wires and tapped the cap etc. tried another fuse and it didnt blow so i cranked it over till it started, think she was flooded so it took a bit. I limped her home and took the cap off to find the rotor in bad shape, the contact on the end fell out and the plastic was all melted around the end. So i went out and installed new cap, rotor, coil, plugs and wires, i was wanting to replace them anyways. I tried to fire her up after and she wouldnt start, then after a couple tries it starting making some bad noises trying to turn over, sounded like the timing was way out. So i tried to line up the rotor to #1 at tdc and it was pointing over at #8 more so, so went out and bought a distributor wrench and a timing gun. I had to lift the distributor up and over a couple teeth to line up to #1. Turned her over and fired up, set to timing to 6*. My high idle (1300) was instantly cured buy setting the timing or atleast much better. Went for a drive and my idle went back up after a short while, came back home and checked the timing again and it was the same. Next day i took the car out to the store and gave her some gas after a stop sign and she sputtered out and died on me again. Checked the INJ1 fuse and sure enough its blown, put a new one in and fired it up and putted back home, checked the timing and its WAY out like 2 inches above the markings. So this is where i now sit. Im far froma mechanic but learning lots owning this beater. This was my first time doing timing work and cap coil rotor etc. i am thinking that for the timing to be that far out i have some mechanical issues, timing chain? Distributor gears worn broke etc? Also why is that fuse blowing? Could that be caused by the timing being so far out? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
rubber on Crankshaft Pulley are slipping !!
Old 06-29-2015, 02:53 PM
BlueMyMindC4
Advanced

Sorry but does that mean timing chain and gears need to be replaced? Also the rotor has some "play" in it from side to side is that normal? Thanks
Old 06-29-2015, 04:13 PM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

no , just the Crankshaft Pulley !!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-85-86-87-88-89-90-91-C4-CORVETTE-ENGINE-CRANKSHAFT-BALANCER-DAMPER-NEW-GM-/370657977637?hash=item564cefe525&vxp=mtr
Old 06-29-2015, 04:16 PM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

rotor "play " ???
Old 06-30-2015, 12:09 AM
barrypaul2005
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That really sounds to me like the distributor gear teeth may be stripped or excessively worn. As you say, the rotor has some free play. My guess is that when you rev her up, it skips a tooth on the gear.

On my 89 with 105k miles, I recently replaced the distributor gear, easy to inspect and replace once you pull out the dizzy. My gear was only slightly worn but I replaced so much on my vette including the engine, I replaced it just for routine maintenance.

Funny that I was thinking I'd expect symptoms just like your describing if I had too much more wear.

Anyway, easy to pull the dizzy and inspect. If the gear's teeth are fine, double check to ensure its all properly seated when you reinstall.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:14 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Also the rotor has some "play" in it from side to side is that normal? Thanks
That's normal. It's caused by slop in the meshing of the distributor gear with the cam gear. It gets taken up when the engine is running and is not a problem.

You probably have at least one bad injector. Remove the connectors and measure the resistance of the injectors. They should be about 15 ohms. If one or more is below 12 it's bad. You can still drive the car if you disconnect the bad injector(s). Sometimes they will measure OK when cold but fail when hot, so check both ways. Since the fuse is blowing I would bet that at least one will show bad when cold.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:41 AM
barrypaul2005
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So i tried to line up the rotor to #1 at tdc and it was pointing over at #8 more so, so went out and bought a distributor wrench and a timing gun. I had to lift the distributor up and over a couple teeth to line up to #1. Turned her over and fired up, set to timing to 6*.
That's the symptom I am referring to that points to a mechanical failure of the dizzy gears or possible timing chain. Or, of course, the dizzy not seated properly or loose.

Last edited by barrypaul2005; 06-30-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:21 AM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Your unhooking the brown wire when you time it right?
Old 06-30-2015, 07:53 AM
BlueMyMindC4
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
That's normal. It's caused by slop in the meshing of the distributor gear with the cam gear. It gets taken up when the engine is running and is not a problem.

You probably have at least one bad injector. Remove the connectors and measure the resistance of the injectors. They should be about 15 ohms. If one or more is below 12 it's bad. You can still drive the car if you disconnect the bad injector(s). Sometimes they will measure OK when cold but fail when hot, so check both ways. Since the fuse is blowing I would bet that at least one will show bad when cold.
I checked the resistance and they are within spec....
Old 06-30-2015, 07:54 AM
BlueMyMindC4
Advanced

Originally Posted by BOOT77
Your unhooking the brown wire when you time it right?
Yes i am thanks
Old 06-30-2015, 07:55 AM
BlueMyMindC4
Advanced

Originally Posted by corvettenorway
Any way to tell if its bad by looking at it?
Old 06-30-2015, 07:56 AM
BlueMyMindC4
Advanced

Originally Posted by barrypaul2005
That's the symptom I am referring to that points to a mechanical failure of the dizzy gears or possible timing chain. Or, of course, the dizzy not seated properly or loose.
This was my first thought also.... Thanks for all the input guys
Old 06-30-2015, 03:33 PM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

no , but pull the spark plugs and turn the engine by hand and "feel" nr 1 tds (piston turning ) . check the marking on the balancer

Last edited by corvettenorway; 06-30-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:18 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

You have to take it off to check it this way, but it will tell you if it's OK:

Old 07-01-2015, 07:17 PM
BlueMyMindC4
Advanced

Ok i think i understand now, the pulley may be slipping between the inner and outer parts? I will check the distributor gears and pulley when i next get a chance
Old 07-04-2015, 07:00 AM
BlueMyMindC4
Advanced

Well i managed the get some time in and the dizzy drive gear is in good condition and i pulled the harmonic balancer and although the rubber has deteriorated its still in working condition and lines up.... I will replace it just to be sure, looks like i will be digging deeper and checking the chain and gears now. What a PITA it is to do this work! Tight spaces suck! Any pointers to help me along the way?

Get notified of new replies

To Timing problems

Old 07-05-2015, 01:11 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Any pointers to help me along the way?
This might help:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...placement.html
Old 07-05-2015, 08:02 AM
BlueMyMindC4
Advanced

Thanks thats a big help, i never realized how much more involved this job is. Wasnt planning on having to drop the oil pan. I am doing the work in a gravel parking stall.... Not fun.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:40 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Thanks thats a big help, i never realized how much more involved this job is. Wasnt planning on having to drop the oil pan. I am doing the work in a gravel parking stall.... Not fun.
a sheet of cheap azz, 1/4 or 1/2 inch plywood does wonders to lay on.

Quick Reply: Timing problems