C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Weird Service Eng soon light

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 09:57 AM
agillings
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Weird Service Eng soon light

My 1985 C4 350, Auto, all stock runs Perfect! When I start the Eng the Service Eng soon light will stay on until the eng warms up and stays out and no error codes. What do you thing will cause this?
Old 06-30-2015, 01:08 AM
barrypaul2005
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by agillings
My 1985 C4 350, Auto, all stock runs Perfect! When I start the Eng the Service Eng soon light will stay on until the eng warms up and stays out and no error codes. What do you thing will cause this?
You should be getting that blinking 3x one-two code when you ground the diagnostic terminal with the ignition on and engine stopped. That will at least tell you if your ECM is operating properly.

In any case, good idea to reset the ECM by disconnection from the battery for ten seconds to reset it.

Otherwise, I never heard of the SES light staying on for a long period with no stored codes - I'd say that's pointing to the ECM itself. Manual says if the problem is intermittent (with a good ECM), the SES light will come on for 10 seconds but will store the trouble code of that intermittent problem source.

Last edited by barrypaul2005; 06-30-2015 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Check ecm grounds clean and tight. Make sure (EST) 4 wire harness from distributor is at least 1 inch away from plug wires. Good luck
Old 07-09-2015, 01:52 PM
84CFIAuto
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by agillings
My 84 has a similar quirk.

The light comes on randomly during normal driving, its been checked by myself, a buddy and a local Vette enthusiast, yet no code.

The car runs great and has no issues, so Im not worried about it.
Its a 31 year old ride, its gonna have a few bugs.

Get notified of new replies

To Weird Service Eng soon light

Quick Reply: Weird Service Eng soon light