C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 Temp Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 12:09 PM
joe wilson
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 1985 Temp Sensor

I'm getting a code which leads to the temp sensor and I'm wondering if it's much of a job to change it. I can see it in the front of the engine but can't reach it without taking off a bunch of stuff. Just wondering what to expect. I've worked on cars a lot before but I'm not too good on fuel injection. Just wondering if my car can do without some of the stuff I would be removing. Any hints appreciated..
Old 06-30-2015, 01:31 PM
seu318
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just did mine yesterday (on a 1991 though). Drained coolant at the knock sensor and had to remove the air bridge and the throttle body coolant tube to get a 3/4 socket in there on the sensor. I got a nasty reminder why one should disconnect the battery first though. Dropped my ratchet getting the knock sensor out and it arc'd on the starter. No harm done, but scared me pretty good.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:11 PM
joe wilson
Instructor

Originally Posted by seu318
I just did mine yesterday (on a 1991 though). Drained coolant at the knock sensor and had to remove the air bridge and the throttle body coolant tube to get a 3/4 socket in there on the sensor. I got a nasty reminder why one should disconnect the battery first though. Dropped my ratchet getting the knock sensor out and it arc'd on the starter. No harm done, but scared me pretty good.
I doubt if yours is anything like my L98, but don't know for sure. Mine sits right under the air intake and has some piece of garbage right in front of it, I think it goes with the air injector pump that gets in the way and will probably have to come off. This thing sure isn't like working on the '57 Bel Air that I used to have!
Old 06-30-2015, 06:14 PM
joe wilson
Instructor

If I get everything out of the way I might be able to pull the sensor and put my thumb over the hole then put the new one on without draining any coolant.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:28 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by joe wilson
I'm getting a code which leads to the temp sensor and I'm wondering if it's much of a job to change it. I can see it in the front of the engine but can't reach it without taking off a bunch of stuff. Just wondering what to expect. I've worked on cars a lot before but I'm not too good on fuel injection. Just wondering if my car can do without some of the stuff I would be removing. Any hints appreciated..
Hi

You have three temperature senders on the 85.
Yes they only need to be "cooked" once to give the wrong indication.

1x for the dash on the cyclinder head.

1x for the cold start injector temp switch. (larger of the two on inlet manifold)

1x on the front of the inlet manifold for the ecm. (see blue arrow in diagram below)

Old 07-01-2015, 02:13 PM
joe wilson
Instructor

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

You have three temperature senders on the 85.
Yes they only need to be "cooked" once to give the wrong indication.

1x for the dash on the cyclinder head.

1x for the cold start injector temp switch. (larger of the two on inlet manifold)

1x on the front of the inlet manifold for the ecm. (see blue arrow in diagram below)

Yes, the one with the blue arrow is the one I want to change. In reality it doesn't look that easy due to the stuff in front of it but I'll try to get it out of the way.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:22 PM
joe wilson
Instructor

I also forgot to mention that the temp gauge works just fine but the cooling fans run before the engine warms up and if I remember correctly they run when you first start it up. The fans don't come on when you turn the key to "on" but as soon as the engine starts they come on..

Last edited by joe wilson; 07-01-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:17 PM
joe wilson
Instructor

Originally Posted by joe wilson
I also forgot to mention that the temp gauge works just fine but the cooling fans run before the engine warms up and if I remember correctly they run when you first start it up. The fans don't come on when you turn the key to "on" but as soon as the engine starts they come on..
I started on the project today, started digging into all the hoses and wires and finally cleared it all out. I put in the new sensor and replaced the anti-freeze that I didn't spill on the floor. I still haven't got it all back together but all that's left is bolting a couple of items on and connecting all the wires and hoses. I hope that's all there is to it..

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Temp Sensor

Quick Reply: 1985 Temp Sensor