C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Oil leak under car, help

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 09:04 PM
shenobi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil leak under car, help

I have just about fixed all the issues with my new to me 94 corvette, however today I noticed an oil spot under the car and the underside from theprear main area has a film of oil all over. I also noticed that the back of the white car has what looks like black dust. This black does not stain your finger like oil or feel oily, so it may not mean anything, just dirt and a white car. I am more concerned about the oil spot under the car. I was thinking rear main, but after searching here, it seems that this is not a common issue on the 94, the top of the engine seems dry and well asarpund the opti area. I am not getting any burning oil smell but it lewves a spot when I park over night, any ideas? Could it be the oil pan gasket. Plan to. Jack up the car this weekend, trying to narrow down what to look at. Thanks for all your great help.

Jody
Old 07-02-2015, 07:00 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

The only way to know for sure is to clean everything really well, and try and trace the leak to its source. Talcom powder helps, as well as oil dye and a UV light.

Just know, even when you get every single gasket and seal replaced, the LT1 will still seep in places. To put it simply, its just a leaky ****.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:03 PM
DanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sometimes leaks can take some investigative work. Rear Main is a suspect along with things, like valve cover gaskets, Opti, Oil pressure sender, intake manifold. If it's not obvious, wipe down oily areas with a rag and brake cleaner, then check it again after test ride. It's amazing how fluids can flow and blow around under a car.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:10 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Sometimes it is tough tracking down an oil leak, but I would try checking the back of the intake manifold as one of the first things.

I have had several LT1's that leaked from there. The oil would go down the outside of the back of the block and I would see a drop at the bellhousing and or at the oil drain plug. The quantity of oil leak can vary quite a bit depending on how bad the manifold/gasket is.

Not sure on yours where it is leaking without doing some checking, but the back of the intake is a common spot and it presents symptoms like you are seeing.

Good Luck.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:40 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts

The black dust is more than likely break dust.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil leak under car, help

Quick Reply: Oil leak under car, help