C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 brake up grade

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 02:26 PM
nickpe
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1985 brake up grade

can I convert my c-4 1985 brakes and use c-5 or c-6 brake parts.

how bout aftermarket...... who is your choice for 85 brake up grades

Old 07-04-2015, 02:48 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

C5 front brakes will work; C6 base front brakes are the same as the C5 fronts. Note that the C5 Z06 calipers are no different than the stock C5 calipers except for the red paint on the Z06 pieces. Before spending lots of money on a c5 front brake upgrade, I would suggest trying better pads. There are a number of good pads that will improve braking performance.

A C5 front brake upgrade will require not only the components, but you will have to go to at least a 17" wheel/tire combo in order to clear the larger rotor and caliper. A custom adapter bracket is necessary to install the C5 caliper bracket. This upgrade will really benefit from a upgraded brake bias spring available from Doug Rippie Motorsports. Make sure to get the non-ABS version spring.

I did a C5 front brake upgrade some years ago on my '87 and I bought individual pieces at the time. I am using C5 Z06 pads in front and Hawk HPS pads out back. Total parts cost was around $700.

Vette Brakes has a C5 front brake kit for around $950. While they also offer a 4-wheel upgrade, the existing C4 rear brakes really don't need to be changed except for better pads.

Make sure you replace the existing flex lines to the calipers if they are OEM or old. Use good stainless flex line from either Earls' or Goodridge. Flush the old fluid and use a good grade of DOT4 fluid such as ATE TYP200 or Motul fluid. For general street use, DOT3 fluids like Castrol LMA or even the Ford HD Motorsports fluid will work.

Quick Reply: 1985 brake up grade