C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 09:30 PM
fastrtnu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch issues

Ok so this is a very strange one. I drove my 87 on a long trip over the past couple of days. When I ended up driving through the city and the car got hot my clutch acted up. The engagement point was literally as soon as I started to let the clutch up but only when it was hot.

Any idea what causes this? Can it be fixed?

I had the clutch replaced approximately 20k miles ago so I'm quite sure it isn't worn out.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:57 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 434 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by fastrtnu
Ok so this is a very strange one. I drove my 87 on a long trip over the past couple of days. When I ended up driving through the city and the car got hot my clutch acted up. The engagement point was literally as soon as I started to let the clutch up but only when it was hot.

Any idea what causes this? Can it be fixed?

I had the clutch replaced approximately 20k miles ago so I'm quite sure it isn't worn out.

the first question is have you checked your clutch slave cylinder fluid level? it may be leaking or just low.

It sounds like your getting minimal throw out of your slave. or clutch master.
odds are it just needs to be topped off

raise up the car, fill the master bleed and flush the clutch slave/clutch master.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:32 PM
fastrtnu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s carter
the first question is have you checked your clutch slave cylinder fluid level? it may be leaking or just low.

It sounds like your getting minimal throw out of your slave. or clutch master.
odds are it just needs to be topped off

raise up the car, fill the master bleed and flush the clutch slave/clutch master.
I'll have a go at that tomorrow. I checked the master and it was full but I'll have a look,at the slave.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:14 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

remember, clutch fluid is just like brake fluid... older it gets, the lower the boiling point...

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch issues

Quick Reply: Clutch issues