C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel Return Line

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 08:48 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Fuel Return Line

My fuel pressure in my 89 drops to zero in about 10 seconds after shut off and makes for hard starting after it has sat for several hours. I know the supply line check valve is working, already tested it.

So what is it that keeps the return line's fuel from emptying back into the tank? There is no check valve for it on the sending unit and the line obviously is supposed to remain pressurized but the pressure is going somewhere fast.

The FPR, injectors, fuel pump and filter have are all new and the car was doing this before any of those parts were replaced.

This has really been a head scratcher.

Rick
Old 07-05-2015, 10:01 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Clamp off the return line and see if it drops. My new FPR does that and they said it was normal. Replaced it and the other brand does the same thing but I have a HSR
Old 07-05-2015, 12:24 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

Its not normal to loose fuel pressure that fast, it should hold pressure (40psi) for a long time & even when the pressure gets low the main line is filled all the way. If yours is bleeding down like that, every time you start it the pump has to refill the lines.
You could have a bad regulator, leaky injector, pin hole in the main line, bad check valve in the pump, or the connection between the pump & the line is bad. The last one is an internal fuel tank leak.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:08 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
So what is it that keeps the return line's fuel from emptying back into the tank? There is no check valve for it on the sending unit and the line obviously is supposed to remain pressurized but the pressure is going somewhere fast.
The "check valve" is the FPR. There is no pressure in the return line when the engine is shut off. The pressure line is the only one that is important.

Rapid pressure drop off could be a bad FPR, bad pressure relief valve in the fuel pump or a leaking injector.

If the FPR is bad you can check for that by pinching off the return line. Then the fuel can't leak out and the pressure will stay up.

A bad pressure relief valve in the fuel pump is not a problem because the fuel pump will always be pumping and a small "leak" will not hurt anything.

A leaking injector can only be found by taking the injectors out and testing them.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:08 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys but:

I have already replaced the injectors, FPR, filter, tank gasket and fuel pump and it was doing exactly the same thing before the new parts went on. I also tested the check valve with 40lbs of air and it held steady for 15 minutes.

The FPR has no fuel present in the vacuum line and the car starts fine if it's only sat a few hours or less. When it sits overnight it takes some cranking to get fuel back to the engine.

I also find that every time I open the fuel cap there's a lot of air pressure escaping, a lot. Could this be pushing the fuel out of the line and what vents the tank to keep air pressure from building?

RH
Old 07-06-2015, 10:42 AM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

When you installed the new pump, did you keep and or replace the pulsator?

Fuel pump feed from one end and hard line from the other. The lines will often pull out. If it takes a long time to build pressure you could be losing part of your fuel back into the tank. And if this was not a secure fit, it would allow the fuel to drain back to the tank giving you zero pressure in seconds. If you used this part, replace it with a piece of fuel line and two hose clamps.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:02 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Thanks John but wouldn't a leak in this show up when I put 40lbs of air to the sending unit's supply side? I put the air to it and clamped off the hose and it held steady for 15 minutes. I did this from the top of the removed sending unit with a piece of spare fuel line.

I also replaced the $20 per foot submersible fuel line, of which I only needed 2", when I did the pump. And used brand new clamps everywhere.

I can't help but wonder if the air pressure in the tank has something to do with it.

Rick
Old 07-06-2015, 12:07 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Air pressure in the tank is normal. Sounds like a bad check valve in the fuel pump

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Return Line

Quick Reply: Fuel Return Line