C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Batee

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 03:46 AM
puzzigully
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Batee

Does anyone know if these guys are still in business?

I sent an email over a week ago, no reply.....

I'm looking for the 4 bulbs, don't need the housings, looking to fit without removing the entire dash.

Simple enough question, can they supply bulbs only?

Failing that, anyone know the part number from a local parts store (autozone etc) that has the bulbs?
Old 07-07-2015, 04:40 AM
ricasso
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by puzzigully
Does anyone know if these guys are still in business?

I sent an email over a week ago, no reply.....

I'm looking for the 4 bulbs, don't need the housings, looking to fit without removing the entire dash.

Simple enough question, can they supply bulbs only?

Failing that, anyone know the part number from a local parts store (autozone etc) that has the bulbs?
I just ordered a part from their Ebay shop a couple of days ago, it went through ok, just waiting for delivery now.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:16 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Just emailed Bryan a couple of weeks ago, he responded in a day or two. On bulbs themselves, you know there are 2 types of bulbs that could be in your dash? One type bulb is called bi-pin, it has 2 straight pins that stick out of the bulb and engage holes in the socket to make the electrical connection. Not sure what the other type is called but the contacts for the bulb are wrapped around the bottom of the bulb. I don't believe the sockets are compatible with other than the type bulb that's in it currently. It's fairly easy to bend the bi-pin bulb pins when trying to insert them into the sockets but it can be done.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:24 PM
puzzigully
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nope,

still no reply

I have this problem
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...psrbjxzwhu.jpg

Anyone know of anywhere else you can get these bulbs?
Old 07-08-2015, 01:15 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

You may not need the bulbs...but if you do:
http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/...b-kit-xenon-4/

Now...
Before you order, notice the sockets twist out of the dash assembly. Their contact points rest on solder trails. Try using a pencil erase to remove tarnish, reassemble, and confirm light(s) have really failed.

Use the vacuum (rubber) hose trick to pull the bulb. Choose hose with the same ID as the bulb's OD. Slide hose onto bulb. I use a piece long enough where I can suck on the other end to form a STRONG vacuum while pulling the bulb from the socket.

Remember not to touch Halogen "globe" with your bare hands. Hand oils cause bulb failure. (You can touch the base).

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 07-08-2015 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:51 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The stock back lighting bulb is #882, which has two pins (bipin) and is halogen. In 1989 they changed to a bayonet style with xenon bulbs.

I highly recommend changing to an LED version. MUCH cooler and will last forever.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:09 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by puzzigully
Nope,

still no reply

I have this problem
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...psrbjxzwhu.jpg

Anyone know of anywhere else you can get these bulbs?
I had Bryan rebuild my cluster a few months back. After several months one of the bulbs went out. Contacted Bryan and he sent me some additional Xenon bulbs. I found the tool (attached picture) on ebay and it works better than any others I've tried fitting through those holes under the plugs in the front. Fits through the holes easily and grabs the bulbs very well to remove and insert those 4 bulbs through the front.
Turned out my issue wasn't a bulb going out, rather the contact between the bulb and the socket. Pulled the bulb and spread the contacts on the bulb a little and it's been good ever since.
Takes about a half hour on my 86 to pull the bezel off the instrument cluster, replace the bulb and put it back together with this tool. It's fairly easy, just insure the new bulbs have the same contacts as the old one.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Batee

Quick Reply: Batee