C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Crank engine over for compression test, but every oil seal is removed

Old 07-07-2015, 04:55 AM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Crank engine over for compression test, but every oil seal is removed

What are your thoughts on cranking the starter without oil? Anything besides the common wisdom that a second without oil is too long?

My engine is bare (edit: but no internal rebuild has happened yet ), oil drained, no oil seals to put back on. The point of the test is to see if it's safe to put all that back on and bundle it up. But I also don't want my dry test to be the thing that ruins my compression.

I know I should have tested this back when it was together, but I didn't find my oil problems until after all my covers were off.

Safe or not safe?

Some things that entered my own mind are that cranking RPM speeds, at just a few spins per second, mean less strain than even idle speeds. And also that it seems like a common load - oil pressure begins at zero the instant cranking begins for everybody all the time. So does that mean I'll be OK? I'd just tap the battery to the starter real quick (10 spins or so each time).

Last edited by LouisvilleLT4; 07-07-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:56 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Id say if you used good assembly lube you should be ok to crank it over enough to do a compression test
Old 07-07-2015, 06:25 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 699 Likes on 588 Posts

my 2-cents - FWIW -- I've got to ask, what are you trying to accomplish by turning the engine over with the starter? seems to me, if you have a partial engine build, about all you'll accomplish is detecting any binding in the rotating assembly, and the starter circuit. like stated above, with good assembly lube, a momentary crank SHOULDN'T hurt anything, but personally I wouldn't do it. if the rotating assembly turns freely by hand, I'd finish the build. if you have decent engine building skills, and did everything "by the book," you should be good to go -
Old 07-07-2015, 07:07 AM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

Originally Posted by Joe C
my 2-cents - FWIW -- I've got to ask, what are you trying to accomplish by turning the engine over with the starter? seems to me, if you have a partial engine build, about all you'll accomplish is detecting any binding in the rotating assembly, and the starter circuit. like stated above, with good assembly lube, a momentary crank SHOULDN'T hurt anything, but personally I wouldn't do it. if the rotating assembly turns freely by hand, I'd finish the build. if you have decent engine building skills, and did everything "by the book," you should be good to go -
Oh it's not a rebuilt/new engine, it's a bit worn out and needs a test. The oil sample I sent out when I took the pan off measured half H20 (!!!) and had lots of bearing particles. So there's reason to believe water could have been blowing past the piston rings, hence me suddenly wanting to test for compression now -- good question.

Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale
Id say if you used good assembly lube you should be ok to crank it over enough to do a compression test
Thanks. I know I made it sound like I did a rebuild but I'm not there yet, and this test is so I can hopefully avoid digging into the longblock (which I have nowhere to store besides in the car).

So no assembly lube, and not a lot of lubrication was going on in this engine when I tore it down. Instead what about a small shot of WD-40 from a sprayer tube in every cylinder between cranks? I'd get no dry reading to compare to but still...?

Last edited by LouisvilleLT4; 07-07-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:48 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

There should be enough oil left in all the right places to let you safely crank it with the starter to check compression.

You DID have full synthetic oil it, right?
Old 07-07-2015, 01:52 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by rocco16
There should be enough oil left in all the right places to let you safely crank it with the starter to check compression.

You DID have full synthetic oil it, right?
Reading it it was half water. Damage is already done.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:57 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 699 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Reading it it was half water. Damage is already done.
- especially this part...
The oil sample I sent out when I took the pan off measured half H20 (!!!) and had lots of bearing particles.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:04 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Even if there may be enough oil in the crank and rod journals (or the cam journals and the lifters), the fact that there was so much water in the oil makes me think that there could be enough cylinder wall damage that any compression reading will most likely be too low or that once everything is back together, the damaged cylinder walls will allow oil to blow past the rings. And if the compression rings may be damaged from a lack of lubrication, it would be time to dig into the block anyway.

Spraying anything in the cylinders will not help the rotating bearing surfaces. And it could give you a compression reading that is not correct.

Rather trying to rebuild, have you thought about buying a short block? If the old engine has to come out, it won't take long to transfer stuff from the old engine to the new shortblock and install it.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:29 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Im reading what u are trying to do is check your ring seal after finding large amounts of water in oil and bearing metal in oil also. Not bashing u for trying some ingenuity here Louis but like others have said that motor needs tear down and inspection even if it had good compression and ring seal. If u think u can avoid that then u will be educating yourself shortly here. Unless u just want to enable the engine to sell the car then in that case its not going to matter either as u should just replace the seals and try to run it for sale.

Safe or not safe u would just be adding to damage if metal particles are in the bearing shells. Drop the pan and pop a few main and rod caps for a look. I think youll have damage to photo and show us if u do.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:37 PM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

I'll try to post bearing photos tonight and I guess use that cotter pin trick to get the top halves out, thanks!
Old 07-07-2015, 03:40 PM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

My condo's board of directors would definitely be pissed if they saw an engine out, in the bylaws they have a no-repair rule and I already got a nastygram left on the car threatening they'd fine us for my work on it downstairs This impedes even swapping in a shortblock and doing this the easy way.
Edit: Well, so does my desire not to toss this engine until I've verified it's bad (my diagnosis could be wrong / overblown)

Last edited by LouisvilleLT4; 07-07-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:38 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by LouisvilleLT4
The oil sample I sent out when I took the pan off measured half H20 (!!!) and had lots of bearing particles.
With that much crud floating around in your engine, you have only two alternatives:

1. 100% teardown and rebuild.
2. Long block exchange.

Anything else is a waste of time. How you get this done is your only problem!

Old 07-07-2015, 04:44 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

lots of bearing particles.& fines from your condo you need to get the car someplace you can work on it does not sound like a quik fix
Old 07-07-2015, 05:03 PM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

Here were the oil sample results - namely their analysis of how second sample was, and you can see the first test's numbers (which was from the drain plug instead of scraped off the pan) in that column that starts with "10,000".

That second sample was scraped out of the pan specifically where I saw a clear puddle, which would explain why it's so bad, but the high metal counts in test 1 are more what I am pointing out here. No visible shavings, but lots of invisible particulates.

Name:  6O7cyLj.png
Views: 19
Size:  215.7 KB

Last edited by LouisvilleLT4; 07-07-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:05 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by LouisvilleLT4
I'll try to post bearing photos tonight and I guess use that cotter pin trick to get the top halves out, thanks!

The worst wear will be on the bottom half of brg shells. I dont see the need to roll out the top halves. Hope this saves u some work.

I think u need to double check your agreement. In Nevada the garages are part of the owners property and not for the to association to inspect. My 2 car garage is so full i park my DD outside.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:13 PM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

Originally Posted by cardo0
The worst wear will be on the bottom half of brg shells. I dont see the need to roll out the top halves. Hope this saves u some work.
YES, that does.

Originally Posted by cardo0
I think u need to double check your agreement. In Nevada the garages are part of the owners property and not for the to association to inspect. My 2 car garage is so full i park my DD outside.
It's a shared underground parking lot, unfortunately. Nosy busybodies can walk by and get themselves worked up from looking at it on their way in. The agreement provides for just enough work to move it out of there, which I plan on invoking, but it doesn't matter - they'll fine if they want regardless of whether I have a point. We'd have to pay because they have the authority to foreclose.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:38 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

This is the second time they tested it? And this is better? Would not waste the time.

I could never live like that. If I can't pee off the porch and shoot a shotgun at the same time I will not live there. Lol

Last edited by antfarmer2; 07-07-2015 at 06:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Crank engine over for compression test, but every oil seal is removed

Old 07-07-2015, 06:38 PM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

This is the second time they tested it? And this is better? Would not waste the time.
NO it's not better, the second one I specifically bottled up a clear puddle I found in the oil and sent it. Both sets of numbers came from the same oil.

I could never live like that. If I can't pee off the porch and shoot a shotgun at the same time I will not live there. Lol
Tell me about it, believe me that situation is not by choice.

Last edited by LouisvilleLT4; 07-07-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:44 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Time to find a place to work on it. Go with it and be happy
Old 07-07-2015, 07:19 PM
chadk
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
With that much crud floating around in your engine, you have only two alternatives:

1. 100% teardown and rebuild.
2. Long block exchange.

Anything else is a waste of time. How you get this done is your only problem!

what he said! waste of time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crank engine over for compression test, but every oil seal is removed