C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cracked headlamp motor case

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 08:08 PM
mtglick
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked headlamp motor case

Hi, folks—

Anybody dealt with trying to repair a headlamp motor cover for an 84? My pass side headlamp motor was skipping teeth, so I rebuilt both sides, driver’s side worked OK before, now it works perfectly, pass side now doesn’t work at all. Disassembled again, turns out that the pass side motor cover was cracked right across the headlamp axle, which is allowing the post to flex just enough for the small gear to skip as it takes the load from the metal gear. The motor itself is working fine, I just need the cover to hold the headlamp axle in the correct position.

Tried to epoxy the thing, epoxy didn't stick. Not sure that I can weld this with a soldering iron, it would thin the material a little and might just cause it to break again.

Any ideas on a long-term repair, or sources for a replacement, would be greatly appreciated--this is a long-term on-and-off project that's down to this one issue to get it re-registered and back on the road.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2015, 08:29 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Look on ebay
Old 07-10-2015, 08:33 PM
mtglick
Heel & Toe

I can find whole motors easily enough, but not case covers alone. Not counting on finding one, but if any one has repair ideas I'm open to it...
Old 07-11-2015, 05:24 AM
Mishawaka
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mtglick
I can find whole motors easily enough, but not case covers alone. Not counting on finding one, but if any one has repair ideas I'm open to it...
Have you tried a local weld shop?
Old 07-14-2015, 12:04 AM
mtglick
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Mishawaka
Have you tried a local weld shop?
Not sure what a welder would do, it's a plastic part.

Took a soldering iron to it, worked a few times and then split again. Looks like I'm going to have to replace it.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:20 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Check with Stan, the headlight motor rebuilder on feebay. He may or may not have the part but it wouldn't hurt to ask him, great guy.

Rick
Old 07-14-2015, 12:36 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
Check with Stan, the headlight motor rebuilder on feebay. He may or may not have the part but it wouldn't hurt to ask him, great guy.

Rick
Have you got a picture of where its cracked?
Old 07-14-2015, 05:53 PM
mtglick
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ToniJ1960
Have you got a picture of where its cracked?
I'll try to get one, have to pull the whole assembly off and then remove the motor. Basically, the crack starts on the outside of the large gear well, moves over the small gear well, up over the back of the small gear axle well, and then down onto the flat area just next to the small gear. It seems as if the gear is being pushed outward into the plate when the motor hits the end of its travel, and it flexed enough times to finally split. Not 100% certain but it seems as though nobody (feebay or several recyclers) has just the plate available, so I'm going to have to either try to find a whole dead motor so I can scavenge the plate, or replace the whole unit, which just annoys me because it works fine otherwise.

Get notified of new replies

To Cracked headlamp motor case

Quick Reply: Cracked headlamp motor case