C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 C4 service ASR light and won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 08:49 PM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

That's good they said that. Youre going to have fun this weekend. Enjoy.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:35 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Did you experience any engine problem and stalling if you turned on headlights or other things like radio, a/c, moving seats?
Old 08-08-2015, 09:30 AM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Originally Posted by scotth48
Did you experience any engine problem and stalling if you turned on headlights or other things like radio, a/c, moving seats?
I didn't when I was having issues like this
Old 08-08-2015, 12:33 PM
blkdawg
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate the sincere well wishes to have a fun weekend driving my car since I was getting back my ECM. Well unfortunately, After SIA re-flowed my board instead of an intermittent problem, I now have a full time problem. Before after letting the car sit overnight, I could get in, turn the key half way, watch the "service asr" light come on and go off and then turn the key the rest of the way and it would start. Now after the SIA service the "service asr" light comes on and stays on and the car will not start at all. Cranks but no fuel. What a head banging day I am having now. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by 1stVetteFinally
That's good they said that. Youre going to have fun this weekend. Enjoy.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:35 PM
blkdawg
Heel & Toe

I appreciate the sincere well wishes to have a fun weekend driving my car since I was getting back my ECM. Well unfortunately, After SIA re-flowed my board instead of an intermittent problem, I now have a full time problem. Before after letting the car sit overnight, I could get in, turn the key half way, watch the "service asr" light come on and go off and then turn the key the rest of the way and it would start. Now after the SIA service the "service asr" light comes on and stays on and the car will not start at all. Cranks but no fuel. What a head banging day I am having now. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by yellowvette1992
Got my PCM back from SIA and reinstalled it. Started right up. Took it out and drove for about 60 miles.No warning light came on. Pulled back in garage and let sit for 10 minutes and it started right up. Let it sit in hot garage(temp out die was 95) for about 4 hours and bingo started right up. As mentioned before the rebuild I would have to chill the pcm to get it to start. Then when driving the service asr light would come on and the SYS and security light would flash every so often. Having PCM rebuilt fixed all problems. In talking to SIA it seems like the solder connections just go bad causing the problems. As mentioned about 200 bucks with shipping. SAVE THE WAVE
Old 08-08-2015, 01:15 PM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Is the fuel pump working?
Old 08-10-2015, 07:49 AM
blkdawg
Heel & Toe

Before I sent the ECM out for repair the problem was intermittent. If the car was left over night I could get in it, turn the key half way, watch the "service asr" light come on and go off and then turn the key the rest of the way and she would start. Now, everytime I turn the key halfway, even after leaving the car to sit overnight, I turn the key halfway and the "service asr" light come on and stays on every time and the car will crank but no start. Not sure if it is no fuel or no spark. I mean the problem was intermittent before repair. Now it is full time problem. Would you think it had to be something that happened from the ECM repair?

Is the fuel pump working?
Old 08-10-2015, 07:51 AM
blkdawg
Heel & Toe

No. I never had any of those problems. When car ran the the only time it ran rough was when the security and sys warnings would flash from time to time.

Originally Posted by scotth48
Old 08-10-2015, 07:53 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Did you remove the PROM before you sent the ECM to the SIA facility? Is it in the ECM now? Is it indexed correctly and seated properly if it's in the ECM?
Old 08-10-2015, 08:42 AM
yellowvette1992
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had no problems since getting mine back for SIA. Have driven it 4 days in a row and left it sit in the sun(90degrees) no problems. Follow up on WVZR-1 question no I called SIA and they did not want the chip removed.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:23 AM
blkdawg
Heel & Toe

Yeah same here. I called SIA and they also wanted me to send the PROM with it.

I have had no problems since getting mine back for SIA. Have driven it 4 days in a row and left it sit in the sun(90degrees) no problems. Follow up on WVZR-1 question no I called SIA and they did not want the chip removed.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:43 AM
blkdawg
Heel & Toe

Yeah That was one of the first things I checked. I even took out and reseated to make sure. SIA wants it back and will recheck but before I send it I want to make sure I am getting power to ECM. Get this one. I took the ECM out and the "service asr" light still comes on and stays on and the car will crank but not start. even with the ECM out.

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Did you remove the PROM before you sent the ECM to the SIA facility? Is it in the ECM now? Is it indexed correctly and seated properly if it's in the ECM?
Old 08-10-2015, 11:45 AM
blkdawg
Heel & Toe

Yeah That was one of the first things I checked. I even took out and reseated to make sure. SIA wants it back and will recheck but before I send it I want to make sure I am getting power to ECM. Get this one. I took the ECM out and the "service asr" light still comes on and stays on and the car will crank but not start. even with the ECM out. Do you know where I can find the pin out diagram for the ECM online?

Old 08-11-2015, 06:55 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

You need to treat the RUN and the ASR issue as completely different errors I believe. You need to check for bent pins on the ECM connectors FIRST. I believe so far as power C6 & C17 are from a fusible link and C18 from the 3AMP ECM fuse. There should be numerous ECM pin-outs available and you might want to confirm those I mentioned. The AIR BAG 10AMP fuse needs to be checked also, I believe car won't run without it.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-11-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:59 AM
blkdawg
Heel & Toe

I will check those today. I checked power on three leads yesterday and the grnds from the CCM and they all checked out. I will look to see if your pin numbers match my pin-out guide. Went through the codes again one at a time manually yesterday and on 4.1 which I believe is the check of the ECM I received just "Err" and on 1.1 I received a "C41" Not sure if the problem lies with the CCM or the ECM. I will check your power points and get back to you. Thanks
Brian

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
You need to treat the RUN and the ASR issue as completely different errors I believe. You need to check for bent pins on the ECM connectors FIRST. I believe so far as power C6 & C17 are from a fusible link and C18 from the 3AMP ECM fuse. There should be numerous ECM pin-outs available and you might want to confirm those I mentioned. The AIR BAG 10AMP fuse needs to be checked also, I believe car won't run without it.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:49 PM
blkdawg
Heel & Toe

Gentlemen,
I am posting the last reply for this thread. I want to let you know what the final outcome was for my problem. As you know I got back my ECM from SIA and re-installed it. What was an intermittent problem before became a full time problem after they "reflowed" the board. I sent it back since it was under warranty and got it back 13 days later with an invoice that said " no apparent problem found, re-flowed the board". Well the second time was the charm. I have driven it 8 times and started it at least 30 to 40 times. I want to thank all of you who have responded to my thread. Without your support, I would have not arrived at the decision to send the ECM to SIA. Process of elimination lead to the most likely conclusion that it was the ECM that was my problem. I promise to drive it well into the fall foliage season in the northeast and think about all the help I got from this site that allowed me to drive it. Thank you all.
Sincerely,
Brian
PS. I will be calling SIA to ask whether the new solder that they used was superior to the old original solder and it the new stuff will hold up to the heat under the hood. If they say that my problem will eventually come back due to heat, I am going to ask if there is anything I can do to insulate the ECM from the heat of the engine compartment. I am not sure if the ECM itself generates its own heat in which case insulating it may harm the board from within. What do you guys think?

Last edited by blkdawg; 08-30-2015 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 08-30-2015, 08:55 PM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Originally Posted by blkdawg
Gentlemen,
I am posting the last reply for this thread. I want to let you know what the final outcome was for my problem. As you know I got back my ECM from SIA and re-installed it. What was an intermittent problem before became a full time problem after they "reflowed" the board. I sent it back since it was under warranty and got it back 13 days later with an invoice that said " no apparent problem found, re-flowed the board". Well the second time was the charm. I have driven it 8 times and started it at least 30 to 40 times. I want to thank all of you who have responded to my thread. Without your support, I would have not arrived at the decision to send the ECM to SIA. Process of elimination lead to the most likely conclusion that it was the ECM that was my problem. I promise to drive it well into the fall foliage season in the northeast and think about all the help I got from this site that allowed me to drive it. Thank you all.
Sincerely,
Brian
PS. I will be calling SIA to ask whether the new solder that they used was superior to the old original solder and it the new stuff will hold up to the heat under the hood. If they say that my problem will eventually come back due to heat, I am going to ask if there is anything I can do to insulate the ECM from the heat of the engine compartment. I am not sure if the ECM itself generates its own heat in which case insulating it may harm the board from within. What do you guys think?
That's great your car is running again. Enjoy

About the ECM and engine bay heat, you could relocate the ECM to inside the car.

Get notified of new replies

To 92 C4 service ASR light and won't start

Old 08-31-2015, 08:17 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

That's great your car is running again. Enjoy

About the ECM and engine bay heat, you could relocate the ECM to inside the car.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:31 AM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Not saying I've done it. I have read about it being done though.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:31 PM
MARKRUBYRED
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blkdawg
Gentlemen,
Sincerely,
Brian
That is great news, especially if I run into this issue. BTW, how difficult is it to remove the ECM. Do you have the steps to properly and safely remove and replace. Again, thanks for keeping the thread alive with a positive result.
Regards,
Mark

Quick Reply: 92 C4 service ASR light and won't start