C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 C4 service ASR light and won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 06:18 AM
blkdawg
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to all the well wishes and congratulations. I did call SIA and a gentleman there took some time to explain to me what they had done to re-flow the board and the solder that they used. I told him of my concern about the board being impacted by the engine bay heat and possibly insulating the case. He told me that the problem with the 92-93 ECMs were mostly because of a defective process of soldering those years. He also said that the main problem for these defective boards was not the heat but the vibration of the component. New boards today glue the chips to the board before they solder them making a very durable and lasting connection. He confidently assured me that this fix would last me another 15-20 years. I was pretty shocked. I thought about moving it into the cabin but have NO idea where I would put it and I am sure I would have to do a major wire lengthening to get it there. So for now, I am just going to trust the gentleman's opinion at SIA and leave the ECM just where it is in the engine compartment right above the battery alongside the horn behing the driver side wheel. Thanks again to all.
Brian

Originally Posted by MARKRUBYRED
That is great news, especially if I run into this issue. BTW, how difficult is it to remove the ECM. Do you have the steps to properly and safely remove and replace. Again, thanks for keeping the thread alive with a positive result.
Regards,
Mark
Old 09-01-2015, 06:25 AM
blkdawg
Heel & Toe

Mark,
According to the service manual, before unplugging the four connectors to the ECM you should disconnect the NEG terminal of the battery. Then all you have to do is remove the three nuts holding the component box in place and lift out. The nut between the horn and ECM in a pain. Must have dropped that nut down alongside the battery 4 or 5 times. If you have to send it to SIA don't open the case. Just send the whole thing PROM and all to them. I hope you never have this problem though. Needless to say I am going to drive the tread right off the tires before storing it for the winter.

Originally Posted by MARKRUBYRED
That is great news, especially if I run into this issue. BTW, how difficult is it to remove the ECM. Do you have the steps to properly and safely remove and replace. Again, thanks for keeping the thread alive with a positive result.
Regards,
Mark
Old 09-01-2015, 08:56 PM
MARKRUBYRED
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blkdawg
Mark,
According to the service manual, before unplugging the four connectors to the ECM you should disconnect the NEG terminal of the battery. Then all you have to do is remove the three nuts holding the component box in place and lift out. The nut between the horn and ECM in a pain. Must have dropped that nut down alongside the battery 4 or 5 times. If you have to send it to SIA don't open the case. Just send the whole thing PROM and all to them. I hope you never have this problem though. Needless to say I am going to drive the tread right off the tires before storing it for the winter.
Thanks, and I hope I never have the issue as well, but with our cars now over 20 years old the electronics are going to be our biggest problem. It's good to know that there is a company that can help us keep our Corvettes on the road. Enjoy the rest of your summer and look out tire rack.com next season.
Regards,
Mark
Old 09-03-2015, 11:04 AM
larry_c4
Intermediate

Yup I bought a CLEAN, mint '92, test drove it on a highway for 45 mins with my son, the guy at the dealer must have not thought I was coming back lol. But the car ran perfect this was on a Saturday. I parked it in my garage and waited to pick up a official tag on Monday. When I got the tag I put it on and was ready to go...Not so fast, it was idling for 5 mins and died in my driveway! Would not restart, SYS light flash, security light, check eng, service ASR. The DIC was lit up like a Christmas tree, you can imagine how mad I was. After 10 minutes of being dead, it started and was running horribly. I tapped on the ECM and boom it died. I discovered it was almost impossible to find a decent one at a good price so I had it shipped to Cardone for a rebuild, and it seems to be okay now. I told the dealer and he was stunned. I think that ECM should not be under the hood exposed to the heat should be inside like the older ones. What a PITA.

Quick Reply: 92 C4 service ASR light and won't start