C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Shift linkage

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 08:03 AM
davewhtt
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Shift linkage

When i pulled into my car port yesterday i put my 93 automatic into park and i was in reverse? I did notice when i pushed in the button it felt( not right) I sat there with engine running and tried to shift from drive to reverse to park and i could tell i had a problem. She would shift ok one time and not another. I looked in the FSM and found the picture break down. If this has happened to you where do i start? Im sure i pull shiffter boot and console but im not sure what to look for. Dave
Old 07-22-2015, 11:35 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Sounds like the C clip on the shifter cable has come off. This guy:

Here's an overview to show you where to look. The cable on the left goes to the steering column so you have to be in Park to get the ignition key out. The right cable is the shifter cable that goes to the transmission:

Old 07-22-2015, 11:40 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Might want to use the ebrake till fixed
Old 07-23-2015, 06:55 AM
davewhtt
Pro

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Might want to use the ebrake till fixed
Thanks for the come back. I have the console cover off and i see the clip you are talking, actually i need to say i (think) i saw that clip. I cleaned the shift up some and used oil on where it seemed to stick. A little rust. With it exposed i started her and shifted back and forth. It dropped into the notch for park but half the time it would stay in reverse. Its kind of hit or miss one time she went into park and next would stay in reverse.IF that clip is in place what do i look for next? Connection at trans? Dave
Old 07-23-2015, 09:51 AM
davewhtt
Pro

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris

Here's an overview to show you where to look. The cable on the left goes to the steering column so you have to be in Park to get the ignition key out. The right cable is the shifter cable that goes to the transmission:

Great pictures Cliff thanks. Dave
Old 07-23-2015, 01:01 PM
davewhtt
Pro

Cliff i think im going to be going under the car. The clip is attached. I hope it just worked itself loose. Ive been putting off cleaning up the shift console for a while and its the first time ive had it off. What a mess rust dirt and lots of old coins! Dave
Old 07-24-2015, 12:12 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The pin on the shift lever on the trans is probably out of adjustment. It slides in a slot in the lever. Remove shift cable from shift lever and put the shifter in Park. Move the shift lever on the trans by hand until the trans is in Park. The end of the shift cable should slip onto the pin. You might have to move the pin in the slot to get that to happen. Loosen the 15mm nut on the back of the pin to move it. When it is adjusted correctly, tighten the 15mm nut until it is snug but not really tight. Move the shift lever out of Park, doesn't matter what gear. Tighten the 15mm nut. If you try to tighten the 15mm nut while the trans is in Park and the trans moves into another gear you will break the shifter cable (I found that out the hard way). This is the shift lever, showing the slot with the pin:

Old 07-27-2015, 07:36 AM
davewhtt
Pro

The pin on the shift lever on the trans is probably out of adjustment. It slides in a slot in the lever. Remove shift cable from shift lever and put the shifter in Park. Move the shift lever on the trans by hand until the trans is in Park. The end of the shift cable should slip onto the pin. You might have to move the pin in the slot to get that to happen. Loosen the 15mm nut on the back of the pin to move it. When it is adjusted correctly, tighten the 15mm nut until it is snug but not really tight. Move the shift lever out of Park, doesn't matter what gear. Tighten the 15mm nut. If you try to tighten the 15mm nut while the trans is in Park and the trans moves into another gear you will break the shifter cable (I found that out the hard way). This is the shift lever, showing the slot with the pin:

I guess i got lucky. The bracket that holds cable end to trans pan was missing a bolt so there was play when shifting. I put a new bolt in and while i was under there checked the rest of the trany bolts. Turns out they all needed a snugging up. When i dropped the pan for filter fluids last year i could have tightened them a little more so i killed 2 birds.. Thanks again for the px and info. Dave
Old 07-27-2015, 09:18 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Good job

Get notified of new replies

To Shift linkage

Quick Reply: Shift linkage