C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

those doing ls swap with the quick time bell housing

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 10:02 PM
oldpro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default those doing ls swap with the quick time bell housing

. I just got back from bil bs and learned their can be some major issuueswith the clutch . if you re thinking of doing this swap do yourself a favor and call bill before you finally decide what way to go. I wont share the issues here as I dont want to say the wrong thing I drove his ls swap and it is dream to drive the way he has it set up his number is 602 319 5675......
Old 07-26-2015, 04:41 PM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Subscribed.

The main reason for NOT doing an LSX swap is the ZF transmission hookup. I'm all ears...or eyes in this case.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:10 PM
jagriffinsf
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ChevyOwner - please keep us all posted. Thanks!

Originally Posted by chevyowner
There should be no problems with the clutch. I will have a better solution then what I have now in a week or two.

The only clutch issue I have now turn out the slave cylinder was not correctly aligned to the clutch fork, and failed. I have ordered a QuickTime RM-6018E it is a "LT1 style external slave cylinder" bracket that is welded on.

I told him I would email him pictures of the clutch setup when I get it apart that far. It would be there now, but I lost my jack adapter to lift the rear of the car. My car has about 3 inches of ground clearance, so I cant lift the rear of the car up with out the adapter.

Bill was unsure if the LS7 clutch would fit in the QuickTime bellhousing until I asked about a trans rebuild last week. He also told me no one else has done what I have.

PS
Unsure maybe the wrong word for it. Here is what was in the email.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:35 PM
esham
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 07-29-2015, 03:21 PM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I was under the impression that Quicktime made no provision for slave cylinder mounting, which renders it pretty much useless for most of us. I'm not willing to do all the work installing an lsx engine, and not be able to make it work. I believe I read somewhere about someone trying to use a hydraulic throwout bearing, but I'm not sure if it actually worked or not.

This is very useful!!!
Old 08-03-2015, 03:48 PM
oldpro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would run all your ideas past bill boudreau . he knows all the ins and outs of this . 602 319 6575
Old 08-03-2015, 04:04 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by oldpro
I would run all your ideas past bill boudreau . he knows all the ins and outs of this . 602 319 6575
I already said in this thread I talked to him.

In my honest opinion he does not know any more then many people here. I'm not willing to redo the engine mounts, exhaust, drive shaft, and c-beam when the only problem I had was I messed up on my slave cylinder bracket. Bill is also like many on the forums here not open to new ideas.

Last edited by aDigitalPhantom; 08-03-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:49 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

I already said in this thread I talked to him.

In my honest opinion he does not know any more then many people here. I'm not willing to redo the engine mounts, exhaust, drive shaft, and c-beam when the only problem I had was I messed up on my slave cylinder bracket. Bill is also like many on the forums here not open to new ideas.

PS
I can also see now that this forum is not the place to share the information I have, or my ideas. So I wont bother trying.
shheesh; hot rodding is all about putting two parts together that no one ever imagined would go together; one time I sawed apart two bellhousings and welded the front of one to the end of the other...and it worked; so what you're trying to accomplish couldn't be that terribly difficult.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:25 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
shheesh; hot rodding is all about putting two parts together that no one ever imagined would go together; one time I sawed apart two bellhousings and welded the front of one to the end of the other...and it worked; so what you're trying to accomplish couldn't be that terribly difficult.
It will work.

The whole reason for changing things is the alignment of the rod the sits between is clutch fork, and the slave cylinder was wrong causing the slave cylinder to fail. It was leaking fluid past the seal.

Even then it took ~10 months to fail, and all I'm doing now is installing a better bracket that will fix the alignment issues.

I'm just going to make my own thread when I have the rest of the information, and can add it all at the same time.

Last edited by aDigitalPhantom; 08-03-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:02 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

It will work.

The whole reason for changing things is the alignment of the rod the sits between is clutch fork, and the slave cylinder was wrong causing the slave cylinder to fail. It was leaking fluid past the seal.

Even then it took ~10 months to fail, and all I'm doing now is installing a better bracket that will fix the alignment issues.

I'm just going to make my own thread when I have the rest of the information, and can add it all at the same time.
Good luck; I for one really appreciate hearing from someone trying something new or different
Old 09-19-2015, 01:13 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Any specific information wanted, or just a parts list and a few pictures?
Old 09-19-2015, 09:58 AM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Any specific information wanted, or just a parts list and a few pictures?
All of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:57 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

I know exactly what the main cause of the problem was before. I was using the wrong throwout bearing. I was using the short gm throwout, and need the tall version.

No pictures yet, but I have the parts list.
Centerforce N1086 Throwout bearing. This may change deepening on what pressure plate is used.
CF-116 Clutch fork.
Quicktime RM-6018e slave bracket.
93-97 F-body T56 slave cylinder. I understand the T5 slave is a better choice as it is not plastic.

I'll add pictures when I have them ready.

Get notified of new replies

To those doing ls swap with the quick time bell housing

Quick Reply: those doing ls swap with the quick time bell housing