C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I was just told by Crane to adjust my new lifters 1 1/2 turns past O- lash..

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 09:02 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Well, I finally found the adjustment specs on the lifters that I have...Crane had it hidden in their instructions on their website... It says to adjust the preload from .060 to .090 preload on "all" their lifters...This would be about (1 1/4) turns for the .060 and about (1 7/8 ) turns for the .090..This is taking into account that each full turn on my 7/16 studs equals ( .050) ....So it appears the Tech guy at Crane knew what he was talking about..Evidently the Crane lifters require much more adjustment then we are use to...It's hard to believe that the 1 1/2 turn (.075) adjustment the tech told me to use is actually conservative according to their instructions.Look near the end of the instructions under Dyno Proven Information for the specs..This proves to me that we should always get the manufactors specs on whatever products we install in our cars... ..Below are the instructions for the lifters....WW

http://www.cranecams.com/uploads/instructions/568e_.pdf

Last edited by WW7; 07-28-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:25 AM
C4vettrn
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried using the old style of adjusting by sound on my roller rockers and found it was a lot harder to find the correct sounds than it was with the stamped steel rocker arms.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:51 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
Well, I finally found the adjustment specs on the lifters that I have...Crane has it hidden in their instructions on their website... It says to adjust the preload from .060 to .090 preload on "all" their lifters...This would be about (1 1/4) turns for the .060 and about (1 7/8 ) turns for the .090..This is taking into account that each full turn on my 7/16 studs equals ( .050) ....So it appears the Tech guy at Crane knew what he was talking about..Evidently the Crane lifters require much more adjustment then we are use to...It's hard to believe that the 1 1/2 turn (.075) adjustment the tech told me to use is actually conservative according to their instructions.Look near the end of the instructions under Dyno Proven Information for the specs..This proves to me that we should always get the manufactors specs on whatever products we install in our cars... ..Below are the instructions for the lifters....WW

http://www.cranecams.com/uploads/instructions/568e_.pdf
Installed an Edlebrock cam and lifters in a ford big block; specs called for an 0.080 lifter preload
Old 07-28-2015, 10:51 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
I do however, feel that consistent adjustment across all 16 lifters is important. now, I have no idea how true this is, but I also read that Chevrolet engineering specified 1 turn as some sort of "built-in" rev limiter. seems it has something to do with floating the valves at lower RPM's.
Probably a good practice to set them all the same, but not critical. As long as the lifter doesn't top out, or bottom out, it will function fine.

Setting the lifter prelaos has no bearing on "rev limits" of valve float.

ddahlgren is right: Changing lifter design or thread pitch changes the correct setting. If you know your lifter plunger travel, and your thread pitch, you can determine how many turns are required to put your plunger in the middle, or skewed to which ever side your "racer buddy" told you works better.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:53 PM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Make sure you don't have your rocker arms upside down...

Sounds funny, but I had some valve train noise after I installed my lt4 HotCam. Pulled the rocker nuts off and noticed about half of them were installed with the round side up toward the adjusting nut. Pulled the rocker off and spun the bearing around till the flat side was up, and Voila! quiet valvetrain!

Hate to admit I did something so absent minded (dumb), but we all make mistakes (I hope).

I adjusted the rockers to 3/4 turn after lash, by the way. All is well.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:41 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Well, I just finished readjusting my lifters from the (1 full turn) (.050) I had them at, to (1 1/2 turns) or ( .075) that Crane suggests... There is a definite reduction in noise...It went from a loud sewing machine sound , to a fairly quiet sewing machine sound..I guess it pays to read instructions........WW

Last edited by WW7; 07-28-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:55 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

some interesting reading -

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2012...d-lifters-101/

Quick Reply: I was just told by Crane to adjust my new lifters 1 1/2 turns past O- lash..