C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

egr valve

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 06:16 PM
Corvette72151
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default egr valve

Can anyone tell me what I would gain or loose by eliminating the egr on a 91 L98. I'm putting on a ported intake , runners , headers and. 52mmam throttle body. The ported intake I think was for a camaro. The egr mounts the same but there is no provision for the manifold to exh manifold heat pipe . Any advice would be really appreciated. Vetts@gmail.com

Last edited by Corvette72151; 07-27-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:56 PM
wydopnthrtl
Drifting

Received 290 Likes on 187 Posts

I've removed them before. And with tuning them myself I see a 1.5mpg drop on avg.

IMO if its a daily driver keep it. It does make a decent improvement in MPG. And since it closes at WOT the power increase of not having one is very minimal. (the intake w/be a little cooler which allows for a little more timing)
If its just a toy car and you don't care about MPG just block it off and have the tune adjusted.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:11 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Cylinder temps are higher without a working egr...When I had my 383 built I eliminated the egr and air pump..To lower the cylinder tempertures to prevent knocking I lowered my block temperture by installing a Dewitt's radiator and changing my fan on/off temps so the engine would run at 180 degrees..I also noticed my oil temperture never goes over 208 degrees now since lowering the block temperture..The function of the egr is to lower emissions..Older engines before 1973 never use to have egr valves that we have today, and they ran just fine .Some states won't pass a car that doesn't have a working egr system, check with your state before removing ..WW

Last edited by WW7; 07-28-2015 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:30 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
I've removed them before. And with tuning them myself I see a 1.5mpg drop on avg.

IMO if its a daily driver keep it. It does make a decent improvement in MPG. And since it closes at WOT the power increase of not having one is very minimal. (the intake w/be a little cooler which allows for a little more timing)
If its just a toy car and you don't care about MPG just block it off and have the tune adjusted.
I would have never guessed that in a million years.

Get notified of new replies

To egr valve

Quick Reply: egr valve