C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Let's see more literbike beating build threads, not problem threads

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 10:12 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Default Let's see more literbike beating build threads, not problem threads

I wanted to gripe about a trend I've seen here in recent years.

Instead of 'what do I need to do to make 800 RWHP' we are instead seeing ' my car doesn't stArt' or 'I have an engine miss'.

I mean sure you have to crawl before you run, but I'm getting fed up.

Sure there's the occasional LSx swap thread, but people are doing it for the wrong reasons (like to eliminate the optisprk or becAuse they can't find an OBD-1 tuner and are too lazy to learn to do it themselves) and also the SBC / LTx series is just fine once boost is added .

If I was considering a c4, as a performance car, and read some of these I would think the car is a total turd reading some of the latest posts (it's a great car)

So let's hear about 800 RWHP + builds

Last edited by dizwiz24; 07-28-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:19 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Got rid of a 700 hp/tq C6 for a 205 and 300 hp set of C4s.

Lots of people learning, including myself, about how finicky these cars can be.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:25 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Got rid of a 700 hp/tq C6 for a 205 and 300 hp set of C4s.

Lots of people learning, including myself, about how finicky these cars can be.
They are finicky -no doubt. They can make just as much power as the best boosted c6 - but you wouldn't think that based on what you see posted here.

I can understand and respect the learning curve the c4 newbs are going thru.

I am happy to share what I've learned.

I concede you have to leArn how to deal with the gremlins before modding on (if that's what you want and if you don't - there is nothing wrong with that...)
Old 07-28-2015, 10:39 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
They are finicky -no doubt. They can make just as much power as the best boosted c6 - but you wouldn't think that based on what you see posted here.

I concede you have to leArn how to deal with the gremlins before modding on (if that's what you want and if you don't - there is nothing wrong with that...)
You can build anything to be fast and hold power. I ran with stock head/intake/cam ls3's with blowers that made 650 at the tires, as well as cammed ones with FI tat made well over 700 at the tires on a stock bottom end. You can't do that with a stock C4 L98/LT1. Just won't hold. LS3 heads are so Superior its not funny, but you can make anything fast with enough money and time. But out of the box? Not even close, its why LS3 swaps are getting do popular.I have had two C6s and four C4s. It's a lot easier to make power without major mods with an LS vs LT. Just progress, its how it goes.

I had more money spent in mods on my 2013 than my most expensive C4 cost me. Lol

Last edited by TLS_Addict; 07-28-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:43 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Great feel free to jump in to TLS thread and share we need help.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:18 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can the IRS even handle that much power?

I swapped in an LS for a few reasons.
I wanted to
Parts availability
LT1 needed (and still does) a rebuild

It was a mild build because I want to keep the IRS. I understand it should have around 450hp at the flywheel, but I cant prove it. The only dyno near me is a mustang dyno. This dyno reported 310RWHP if this page http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/...prod/prd64.htm is correct it should be close to 500FWHP.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:32 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by chevyowner
Can the IRS even handle that much power?

I swapped in an LS for a few reasons.
I wanted to
Parts availability
LT1 needed (and still does) a rebuild

It was a mild build because I want to keep the IRS. I understand it should have around 450hp at the flywheel, but I cant prove it. The only dyno near me is a mustang . This dyno reported 310RWHP if this page http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/...prod/prd64.htm is correct it should be close to 500FWHP.
Yes no problem for the IRS. This one runs 8s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bpP20NFmk3c
Old 07-29-2015, 05:12 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 215 Posts

Like you Im a fan of the bigger horsepower threads but,

Dont worry too much about 800 hp, building a 500 hp C4 is going to cost you some time and money as you continually chase your tail thru the whole drivetrain, suspension, brakes, interior etc.

And modifying a C4 turns into a continuous problem solving exercise, they say that engaging in problem solving can prevent Alzheimers, I have found the cure for this disease, buy a c4 and modify it !

and its probably real hard to build a 800 hp corvette, when you cant even get the bloody thing to start !
Old 07-29-2015, 05:26 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by blackozvet
Like you Im a fan of the bigger horsepower threads but,

Dont worry too much about 800 hp, building a 500 hp C4 is going to cost you some time and money as you continually chase your tail thru the whole drivetrain, suspension, brakes, interior etc.

And modifying a C4 turns into a continuous problem solving exercise, they say that engaging in problem solving can prevent Alzheimers, I have found the cure for this disease, buy a c4 and modify it !

and its probably real hard to build a 800 hp corvette, when you cant even get the bloody thing to start !
A C4 may help to prevent Alzheimers, but when your done modding you won't have enough money left for a nursing home......WW

Last edited by WW7; 07-29-2015 at 05:29 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:04 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
A C4 may help to prevent Alzheimers, but when your done modding you won't have enough money left for a nursing home......WW
I think you call them trailer parks ??
Old 07-29-2015, 06:36 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Yes no problem for the IRS. This one runs 8s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bpP20NFmk3c
Can you verify that is has the factory IRS, and does not have the same problems so many others have gone to a solid rear axle for?

I was going to posted a build thread. However I am tried of many here calling me a lair, trying to convince me I'm a clueless moron, and more. Because of that, and more I did not take a single picture of the build.

I don't care what people here think of my car, and so why would I want to share the build with a group that was working hard to convince me that I could not do it and was trolling?

Last edited by aDigitalPhantom; 07-29-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:26 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

For me it is a balancing act between costs, performance, driveability, mileage, and reliability.

I have had a bunch of barely streetable cars that were a lot of fun, however, my C4s are not the platform I chose for that type of car.

I like the C4's because they are a great blend of all the factors above and are just fun to drive. Yes, I have modded some of them a little. It is easy to make 350 to 400 hp fairly easily and still retain all of the C4 benefits.

But for making a lot of power I would start with another platform. The LS series cars are easy to mod and respond to mods very well. The cost of a C5 has plummeted lately to where the cost of an LS swap to a C4 practically pays for a low priced C5 that already has an LS.

With the amount of money needed to get big hp numbers and not breaking parts perhaps the platform doesn't matter since many are investing mega bucks so the cost of the platform doesn't matter. For me, I like playing with the cars, but not on an unlimited budget.

I am like dizwiz24 though in that I like to see threads on what it takes to upgrade the C4 to make them really strong cars. They give me ideas on what works or not and which mods I should consider on mine.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:52 AM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

^^ Agreed. IMO c4's are best left in near stock form to enjoy them.

Even with mild mods (very mild) on mine, it seems I am always fixing something else when I dive into it for a project. These days it's on jackstands waiting for parts and installation more than I drive it, which is frustrating. I cant imagine what a headache an 800+ hp c4 build would be, let along the $ to make it happen.

When it comes to making big power it's obvious why many choose newer LS based cars. If you have deep pockets, lots of time and patience, a 800+ hp c4 is awesome

Hats off to the people who make it happen

Also, reality is some c4's are 30 years old. It's not surprise lots of people are on here asking how to fix things. I'd imagine alot of mechanics wouldn't know how to properly work on these cars.

Last edited by 9T3VETTE; 07-29-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:02 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by QCVette
For me it is a balancing act between costs, performance, driveability, mileage, and reliability.

I have had a bunch of barely streetable cars that were a lot of fun, however, my C4s are not the platform I chose for that type of car.

I like the C4's because they are a great blend of all the factors above and are just fun to drive. Yes, I have modded some of them a little. It is easy to make 350 to 400 hp fairly easily and still retain all of the C4 benefits.

But for making a lot of power I would start with another platform. The LS series cars are easy to mod and respond to mods very well. The cost of a C5 has plummeted lately to where the cost of an LS swap to a C4 practically pays for a low priced C5 that already has an LS.

With the amount of money needed to get big hp numbers and not breaking parts perhaps the platform doesn't matter since many are investing mega bucks so the cost of the platform doesn't matter. For me, I like playing with the cars, but not on an unlimited budget.

I am like dizwiz24 though in that I like to see threads on what it takes to upgrade the C4 to make them really strong cars. They give me ideas on what works or not and which mods I should consider on mine.
I will concede you will pay less to mod an LSx with the greAter parts availability and know how. However you still can do it. Just look at the Nelson racing build on c4 forced induction site right now and it's just a turbo SBC

For me it's personal. After seeing the c4 constantly insulted (by other corvette owners ) on this website I don't ever want anything other than a c4. My next car, I probably get a viper or something different.

Mine makes 520 RWHP on a stock lt1 bottom end and that's a mild build.

In the future, I'd do 383+, custom sheet metal intake, bigger AFR headsbigger blower (or turbo), more boost. Boost by gear (because 1st gear traction becomes non existent)

My next step is a carbon fiber hood to save weight

Last edited by dizwiz24; 07-29-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:59 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

.....For me it's personal. After seeing the c4 constantly insulted (by other corvette owners ) on this website I don't ever want anything other than a c4. My next car, I probably get a viper or something different.

Mine makes 520 RWHP on a stock lt1 bottom end and that's a mild build.

In the future, I'd do 383+, custom sheet metal intake, bigger AFR headsbigger blower (or turbo), more boost. Boost by gear (because 1st gear traction becomes non existent)....
For me it's personal too. I like the C4's. I've had a C4 in the garage for over 25 years. I've had 7 of them and still have 2. My latest project is a mild build and restore (really more like repairs) on an LT4 car. Although I like the C4's, I also like the other generations and have a C5 with a few mods, so I don't rule out others.

What others say about C4's doesn't bother me at all. Most of the time the comments are positive, but even if they are not, I bought the car because I like it. A benefit of the negatives is that it is a great time to buy a C4. Prices are low.

Your car making 520 is impressive. It must be a fun ride. I have thought about some bigger motors too. I think one of my next builds could be a 383. (who knows).

Enjoy it!
Old 07-29-2015, 02:11 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

My next step is a carbon fiber hood to save weight
This never made much sense to me...Instead of buying a hood , alot of us could just hit the treadmill and save way more weight then any hood could save..If you went to Carlisle and looked at the Corvette owners you would see what I mean.....WW

Last edited by WW7; 07-29-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:13 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WW7
This never made much sense to me...Instead of buying a hood , alot of us could just hit the treadmill and save way more weight then any hood could save..If you went to Carlisle and looked at the Corvette owners you would see what I mean.....:yesnod.....WW
I could save 250+ pounds if I got my lazy *** in shape.

Get notified of new replies

To Let's see more literbike beating build threads, not problem threads

Old 07-29-2015, 02:26 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

You don't fit in at Carlisle unless you have Corvette hats, shoes, shorts, sun glasses, necklaces, wallet and watch, and have chrome Corvette lettering on the back and chrome trim rings on the back lights and chrome stick on garbage under the hood.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:52 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by WW7
This never made much sense to me...Instead of buying a hood , alot of us could just hit the treadmill and save way more weight then any hood could save..If you went to Carlisle and looked at the Corvette owners you would see what I mean.....:yesnod.....WW
ha ha lol

running is my other hobby, and at 150 lbs, 5' 11, im already puny.

So I have to look to other methods to save weight.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:58 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Become single. You drop 100+ lbs and your wallet gets fatter.

Quick Reply: Let's see more literbike beating build threads, not problem threads