C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ECM Upgrade for CFI

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 06:47 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by thealaskan63
The question is Why can not the ECM handle anything further? Too Slow?
From post #9 of this thread....
Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
The ECM in the L83 is just as "fast" and "advanced" as other L98 ECM's. I believe "69427" on this forum has hacked and studied the ECM in the '84 and made those observations. The problem w/the CFI ECM is that it isn't readily "hackable" and there aren't tools to interface with it. THAT is the primary reason why people switch to newer, more common ECM's.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:15 AM
thealaskan63
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From post #9 of this thread....
Thanks must of skipped over that one.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:37 AM
VetteSketcher
Cruising

Why ask the question then?? The LT1 is a bit of a stretch due to an very different ignition system, but the L98 is fundamentally very similar to the CFI and it can work. In fact, I believe QWS on ths forum has already done that conversion.

Doesn't matter. It's already been done (massively ported intake) and then the addition of bored out TB's...didn't do one wit for power. Stock TB's are more than enough for a stock or stockish engine.

That's important...and a lot different than, "I know the stock ECM needs to be upgraded if I want to have my throttle bodies bored to 2" and install TJ25 (68lb/hr) injectors"...which is what you said in your first post.

The ECM in the L83 is just as "fast" and "advanced" as other L98 ECM's. I believe "69427" on this forum has hacked and studied the ECM in the '84 and made those observations. The problem w/the CFI ECM is that it isn't readily "hackable" and there aren't tools to interface with it. THAT is the primary reason why people switch to newer, more common ECM's.

probably not a limiting factor on the 350 that you're talking about. I'd bet that the intake will still be your limiting factor.

Probably, since you're doing cam and heads.

That is what I would do. That is what I DID with my 400, and ended up not needing ECM/Tuning. MY results were ~300 chp, stock like idle, great drivability and 24 mpg hwy. That was acceptable..."good enough". I used the 90 pph injectors and a vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator from a marine application TBI to lower fuel at idle/cruise and it worked great. IF it hadn't worked out that way, THEN I would have proceeded down the ECM/tuning road.
I realize this issue has been discussed thousands of times over the years, but Ive ordered a Renegade manifold for my 84 Corvette with CFI. I realize many would say it is a waist of time and money, but I've had the car a long time and just want an improvement in performance without removing the CFI. If there is a recommended mild cam that I can install while I'm changing the intake, I would welcome suggestions. With, or without a different cam, is there an improved injector that I should consider using in the stock throttle body? Thanks
Old 11-27-2015, 02:02 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

You're not going to need a bigger injector w/an intake and mild cam upgrade. You can increase your fuel pressure by morifying the stock regulator.

For a cam, I'd recommend something in the stock duration range; ~210@.050, w/as much lift as you can get, for the duration. 1.6 rockers would be an easier solution.

Where did you find the Renegade in stock?

Your proposed mods are good ones; they'll make a difference. Exhaust from the heads back would help a lot too.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:01 PM
VetteSketcher
Cruising

You're not going to need a bigger injector w/an intake and mild cam upgrade. You can increase your fuel pressure by morifying the stock regulator.

For a cam, I'd recommend something in the stock duration range; ~210@.050, w/as much lift as you can get, for the duration. 1.6 rockers would be an easier solution.

Where did you find the Renegade in stock?

Your proposed mods are good ones; they'll make a difference. Exhaust from the heads back would help a lot too.
Thanks for keeping it simple at this point. I also plan to put a set of headers with front to rear duels. It's registered as an antique in my state, so no inspection is required. I ordered the intake from Ecklers, but I think it will have to come from the manufacturer, which is eddiemotorsports (I assume). I'm aware of some of the earlier production issues, but hoped that situation had improved. It's this winter's project so I can wait a while. Thank you.

Quick Reply: ECM Upgrade for CFI