C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1987 callaway twin turbo intake y-pipe removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 11:52 AM
avcwo
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1987 callaway twin turbo intake y-pipe removal

Greetings!

I need HELP! I'am in the process of restoring/rebuilding my 1987 CTTC, and I have run into a challenge point. I want to replace the water pump, power steerinng pump pulley, associated plumbing, and the harmonic balancer.

The problem is the intake Y-pipe. HOW DO I GET IT OUT without removing the engine? I have it moved over toward the pasenger side as far as I can, and there still is not enough room to remove the water pump or PS pulley.

The RED arrow is the Y pipe moved over.<br/>The BLUE arrow is the PS pulley that has to come straight off the shaft, hence no room<br/>The GREEN arrow is the front cross member (welded in)

I'm stuck here and need help. i have been working on my CTTC for almost 10 months to get "Sophie" back on the road. We are in final assembly and replacement. This is (hopefully) the last sticking point in getting Sophie out of her coma.

Thanks!

AVCWO
Old 08-03-2015, 09:38 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Was the car ever hit? Should be enough room to move this out of the way. Sorry, without being there, I don't think we can be of much help beside that. But sounds like something shifted.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:11 AM
89onlyZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

As Chris said, there should be enough room to wiggle it out. I'd guess you have sagging motor mounts, which tend to pinch this piece. Try lifting the engine a skosch, and see if that gives you enough room.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:38 AM
avcwo
Advanced

Default Was the car hit?

Hi Chris
No record or evidence of any accidents at all. Car is in great shape. I'll re-look ASAP with a finer tuned eye, just to make sure. AGAIN, THANKS!!

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
Was the car ever hit? Should be enough room to move this out of the way. Sorry, without being there, I don't think we can be of much help beside that. But sounds like something shifted.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:40 AM
avcwo
Advanced

Default Engine mounts

THANK YOU FOR THE INPUT. It is so close to coming out that just might be it!! AGAIN, THANKS!!
Originally Posted by 89onlyZ51
As Chris said, there should be enough room to wiggle it out. I'd guess you have sagging motor mounts, which tend to pinch this piece. Try lifting the engine a skosch, and see if that gives you enough room.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:20 PM
avcwo
Advanced

Default Damage Inspection

Hi Chris,

Just inspected the car...NO visible damage as inspeted from the top AND underside. We will be attacking it again this week and weekend. ANY further guidance or possibilities will help.

Thanks again.

AVCWO

Old 08-03-2015, 12:22 PM
avcwo
Advanced

Default Sagging Motor Mounts

We will be looking at them shortly. We will try your suggestion this weekend.

Thanks again

AVCWO

Originally Posted by 89onlyZ51
Old 08-03-2015, 01:20 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Motor Mounts are a strong possibility, as suggested.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:51 PM
avcwo
Advanced

Default Motor Mounts

Thanks Chris. I'm on it this weekend, sooner if possible.

Motor Mounts are a strong possibility, as suggested.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:18 PM
avcwo
Advanced

Default Motor Mounts

Are they OEM?
Old 08-03-2015, 06:36 PM
puzzigully
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by avcwo
Hi,

I have similar clearance issues with my 1987 Callaway.

Advice usually says "you should be able to......." (insert impossible task here)
Even to get the serpentine belt off is impossible due to clearance issues. (you look like you would have similar problems!)

Mine also has never been hit and knee-jerk response after that is "sagging engine mounts".

This may be the case, as everything is packaged so tightly and when originally produced they probably never foresaw what issue would arise as the vehicle aged.

I'm not convinced as the engine mounts on mine look fine, although getting to them to replace them is a major undertaking

Certainly replacing them would do no harm and apparently there are different height Chevrolet engine mounts, but then you can run into different clearance issues the other side!

An easy way to find out is to place a jack under the engine and see if it lifts up enough to get the Y pipe out. (or engine hoist from above).

good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To 1987 callaway twin turbo intake y-pipe removal

Quick Reply: 1987 callaway twin turbo intake y-pipe removal