C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

tranny rebuild performance recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 06:02 PM
dgantt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tranny rebuild performance recommendations

So the car has had tranny issues since Ive owned it. It shifts from 1st to 2nd around 5 MPH and by the time I hit 40 Im in overdrive. Also the car will no kick down when at WOT, it just starts making power from the gear that its in. Tranny guy said cars tranny is on its way out. Ive tried adjusting the TV cable and Ive had to shops try as well with no luck. I also bought a new governor and had it installed today with no change. I want the transgo shift kit put in, any one have a part number as there are several offered. Also im thinking of adding a stall any recommendations? Anything else that I need to add or worry about for the tranny while its out. Thanks to all.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:09 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by dgantt
So the car has had tranny issues since Ive owned it. It shifts from 1st to 2nd around 5 MPH
That's normal. They were trying for good gas mileage to meet EPA specs.

by the time I hit 40 Im in overdrive.
Don't put the trans into OD unless you are going faster than 50 MPH. Too much lugging and interference between OD and torque converter lockup (which is programmed to happen at 40 MPH).

Also the car will no kick down when at WOT, it just starts making power from the gear that its in. Tranny guy said cars tranny is on its way out. Ive tried adjusting the TV cable and Ive had to shops try as well with no luck. I also bought a new governor and had it installed today with no change.
Can't help you with that part if TV cable is adjusted correctly.

I want the transgo shift kit put in, any one have a part number as there are several offered.
I have a SK-700 Jr. in my trans, which was supplied by Dana Wilkes of ProBuilt Automatics.

Also im thinking of adding a stall any recommendations?
Why? If you're not drag racing there is no point.

Quick Reply: tranny rebuild performance recommendations