C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Coupe speakers vs. convertible speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 06:07 PM
LeakingOil
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coupe speakers vs. convertible speakers

The front passenger speaker in my '92 coupe has bit the dust. When I'm looking for a used replacement, do I need to find one that came from a coupe, or will a unit originally from a convertible bolt in without issues?

For future reference, how about the rear speakers? Are those different or the same for coupes and convertibles?
Old 08-30-2015, 04:30 AM
larry_c4
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 92 and had the Amplifier for the rear speaker go. I had mine sent out to a place in Florida who rebuilt the amp. The place was called Factory Car Stereo Repair. From what I was told, the rear speakers are different in the convertibles than the coupes, not sure about fronts. Is the speaker itself shot or the Amp went?
Old 08-30-2015, 11:03 PM
LeakingOil
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's making a faint buzzing sound and nothing more, so I assume it's the amp. Any way to tell for sure? If so, I think I'll take the same route you did and send it off for repair.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2015, 07:23 PM
larry_c4
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine were just making a low white buzz noise. I would first take the passanger speaker and amp out and plug it in the drivers side and see if you are getting the same thing. If so then take out Just the speaker by itself and test the problem speaker on a home receiver or radio and if the speaker works its probably the amp. Here's a removal vid and website

http://www.carstereohelp.com/corvette.htm

Get notified of new replies

To Coupe speakers vs. convertible speakers

Quick Reply: Coupe speakers vs. convertible speakers