C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

smoke from behind engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 12:23 AM
Kswann2009
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke from behind engine

hello, today i sold my c4 to a friend, and on the ride home, of 153 miles on the interstate as we were nearing the end of our journey, he flashed his lights at me to pull over. as we did i noticed a ton of smoke coming from the car. its a 91 manual, and it looks like there is oil dripping onto the exhaust, and it looks as though there is oil covering the bell housing under the car. the valve covers look to be in good shape, when the car is started up, even cold, it begins bellowing smoke from what i will assume to be the area of the oil sending/pressure unit. i am not familiar with the c4's, and i can not think of anything other than that unit that would have to do with oil behind the engine. the car is on the side of the interstate and i need to try to help with it tomorrow, any suggestions welcome, will look into all. it also appears that the smoke comes up through the shifter boot, and the center console.

Quick Reply: smoke from behind engine