C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Service Engine Soon Victory

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 04:26 AM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Service Engine Soon Victory

If you haven't experienced the yellow light of doom you may skip this saga. My '96 is a great car but still says Chevrolet somewhere. The DTCs are very general sometimes and if you are DIY can be pretty daunting without resorting to a ScanTool.

P 0174 lean code can mean many things. I read everything here and Googled heavily. It's an international trouble code! Every make and model can catch this virus. I threw a few parts at it I could do myself that were justified maintenance (O2 Sensor and a fuel filter) but received a fail. Tried propane and carb sleaner method for vacuum leak detection. Even a redneck smoke test with a Havatampa Jewel. No Go. Then the time-tested get a beer and start wiggling rubber stuff on the plenum, best done alone late at night.

Success! The plastic CCV tube fell off the throttle body. A small piece of 1/2 in. hose and we're air-tight again. The computer didn't like all that un-accounted for oxygen. 20 years turned the rubber coupling into broken ceramic split underneath. A shady culprit indeed. I offer this tale as both advise and emotional support to the drivers that accept the Old Vette Challenge. It makes the "nice car" comments a bit more special having lived "Out of Warranty" my entire life.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:46 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by tlong
If you haven't experienced the yellow light of doom you may skip this saga. My '96 is a great car but still says Chevrolet somewhere. The DTCs are very general sometimes and if you are DIY can be pretty daunting without resorting to a ScanTool.

P 0174 lean code can mean many things. I read everything here and Googled heavily. It's an international trouble code! Every make and model can catch this virus. I threw a few parts at it I could do myself that were justified maintenance (O2 Sensor and a fuel filter) but received a fail. Tried propane and carb sleaner method for vacuum leak detection. Even a redneck smoke test with a Havatampa Jewel. No Go. Then the time-tested get a beer and start wiggling rubber stuff on the plenum, best done alone late at night.

Success! The plastic CCV tube fell off the throttle body. A small piece of 1/2 in. hose and we're air-tight again. The computer didn't like all that un-accounted for oxygen. 20 years turned the rubber coupling into broken ceramic split underneath. A shady culprit indeed. I offer this tale as both advise and emotional support to the drivers that accept the Old Vette Challenge. It makes the "nice car" comments a bit more special having lived "Out of Warranty" my entire life.

enjoyed how it was written as much as the issue at hand which was also a learning experience!
Old 09-02-2015, 09:54 AM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Woohoo! A tried and true thinker. "get a beer and start wiggling rubber stuff on the plenum, best done alone late at night"

My favorite troubleshooting method is walk away, come back later and find that simple fix.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:20 AM
MARKRUBYRED
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Then the time-tested get a beer and start wiggling rubber stuff on the plenum, best done alone late at night.
Great thread.......try to find that fix in the Helms FSM. Your true calling is motivational speaking since we need it for keeping these 20+ year Corvettes on the road. It can be frustrating, but knowing that a repair can be as simple as a inexpensive piece of plastic or rubber. Thanks for the post
Mark
Old 09-02-2015, 04:03 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

My TO DO list includes a check of all vacuum lines on the intake manifold/plenum for my 1995. My idle is a little high (950) but otherwise runs fine and no lights, also checked for codes and all clear. Thank you for the inspiration, and the reminder. 20 years cooking underhood can make almost anything brittle.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Engine Soon Victory

Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon Victory