C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Should I pull my crank hub?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 01:39 PM
smu609
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I pull my crank hub?

Hi all newbie corvette owner here. I am in the middle of the optispark/waterpump swap and am also trying to track down a massive oil leak. Does it look like I need to pull the crank hub and replace the timing cover gasket and seals? I'm thinking this oil ended up down here and didn't start here but not 100%. I already cleaned the front of the manifold before it dawned on me to take a couple pics but it looked the same as the timing cover. I'm trying to avoid pulling the crank hub off if I can. Thanks hopefully my pictures load...
Attached Images     
Old 09-02-2015, 02:21 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Nothing looks wet to me....It's quite common to have an oil leak at the intake manifold seals, might want to look that over closely first.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:31 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Looks like you need a new crank seal, so yes the hub needs to come off. Typically when leaking like that, what you will find is that the hub is scored from the seal. They sell a repair sleeve that goes over the hub. You will replace the old seal, put the sleeve on the hub, and then reinstall the hub.

You could always pull the intake, re-seal it, and then see what happens. Of course that means you'll end up doing the front of the engine work twice if the leak is not from the intake.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I pull my crank hub?

Quick Reply: Should I pull my crank hub?