C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headlight motor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 10:59 PM
hotrodbob01
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlight motor replacement

I've given up on the SEARCH here. I'm looking for a thread on how to replace the headlight motor and no matter how I enter it, I get a bunch of unrelated crap on cars for sale and parts. The Chiltons manual I have shows nothing. My GM manual has not arrived, but I have this new motor to install and there are more bolts and nuts there then I think I have to remove as well as at least one I can't see.

Is there a thread on R & R of the motor someone can refer me to?
Old 09-02-2015, 11:40 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Your motor is more than likely fine just look on youtube to see how to replace the pucks and maybe the gear.

And still no year

Last edited by antfarmer2; 09-02-2015 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:43 AM
hotrodbob01
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Changed the motor assembly. Works fine now. Not fully closed. Not sure how to adjust that. Only an 1/8 inch or so off. I can live with it, but would like to know how to adjust it.

It's a 1989. Thought I Posted that in the previous thread.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:39 PM
jph46
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I believe you can adjust the top and bottom distance by turning the **** on the motor. If your adjustment is off side to side, loosen the nuts or bolts on the frame and re adjust.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:19 AM
hotrodbob01
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jph46
I believe you can adjust the top and bottom distance by turning the **** on the motor. If your adjustment is off side to side, loosen the nuts or bolts on the frame and re adjust.
I have turned the **** as far as it will go and it's still off by 1/8 inch in the closed position.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:21 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrodbob01
I have turned the **** as far as it will go and it's still off by 1/8 inch in the closed position.
There's possibility to trim the two headlight plastic covers to get them perfectly aligned with the hood... Unscrew bolt, align them and retight.

Don't know if is this your issue but 1/8" is that was on my car when i've done it
Old 09-04-2015, 06:58 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

There are stop bumpers at both ends of travel. You can screw these in or out to get a flush fit. If for some reason the motor arm is at it's apex and you still aren't flush then there's something else amiss. Could be worn out linkage bushings or as it was in my case, a bent linkage.

If your linkage and pivot bushings are worn it could be the difference in completely closing or not. Without actually being there to see it it's just a guess on my part.

And as mentioned you can adjust the door on the frame some, but I would check everything else first as it obviously was correct where it is a some point.

Rick

Last edited by shootnstarz; 09-04-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:15 PM
hotrodbob01
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
There are stop bumpers at both ends of travel. You can screw these in or out to get a flush fit. If for some reason the motor arm is at it's apex and you still aren't flush then there's something else amiss. Could be worn out linkage bushings or as it was in my case, a bent linkage.

If your linkage and pivot bushings are worn it could be the difference in completely closing or not. Without actually being there to see it it's just a guess on my part.

And as mentioned you can adjust the door on the frame some, but I would check everything else first as it obviously was correct where it is a some point.

Rick
I will look at that. Stop bumpers are not making contact yet. Motor assembly is new. Thanks
Old 09-04-2015, 01:16 PM
hotrodbob01
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Christi@n
There's possibility to trim the two headlight plastic covers to get them perfectly aligned with the hood... Unscrew bolt, align them and retight.

Don't know if is this your issue but 1/8" is that was on my car when i've done it
Thanks, I'll look at that as well

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight motor replacement

Quick Reply: Headlight motor replacement