C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Higher viscosity oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 04:35 AM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Higher viscosity oil

A general Corvettes question , not only a C4.

At what point or what HP level Do we need to move to a higher viscosity oil ?

a 5w30 is recommended for stock LT1 , after what mods I need higher than that ??

I'm not sure if the question is clear or sounds weirdo lol
Old 09-04-2015, 07:47 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 466 Likes on 369 Posts

As far as I am concerned you can stay with the 5w30 if the bearing clearances are still all stock. Usually people switch to heavier oils if they have opened up the factory clearances (For high RPM usage) and have lower oil pressure as a result. The heavier oil will increase the oil pressure to an acceptable level.

The real purpose of oil is to prevent metal to metal contact by keeping an oil film between the rotating parts that prevents them from rubbing on each other. Some heavier weight oils may have a stronger oil film but that is not true in all cases so you really need to understand the properties of the oil you are using before you decide to switch to something else. The second purpose of oil is to remove heat from the bearing surfaces and larger bearing clearances allow more oil to move through the bearing which takes away more heat. So if you open up the clearances to allow more oil flow you may need a heavier oil to keep pressure up to an acceptable level. That being said a heavier oil does not flow as well as a thinner oil so it may not remove as much heat from the bearings as a thinner oil would have.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:08 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

A good quality full synthetic 5W-30 oil will work fine for stock engines and even with engine modifications that will generate 400+ HP. And probably more than that.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:58 AM
BBNJKen
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Theres an interesting white paper by a claimed Phd originally(?) posted on a Ferrari site that makes the case that lubrication occurs because of flow, therefore, high flow oil pumps, not hi pressure are the way to go. It also speaks to using as low a SAE weight oil as feasible to facilitate flow( especially at startup) and heat removal.

As always, if its on the Internet, it must be true. Right?

Old 09-04-2015, 10:17 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by BBNJKen
Theres an interesting white paper by a claimed Phd originally(?) posted on a Ferrari site that makes the case that lubrication occurs because of flow, therefore, high flow oil pumps, not hi pressure are the way to go. It also speaks to using as low a SAE weight oil as feasible to facilitate flow( especially at startup) and heat removal.

his theory seems sound, and im sure if he published this via Ferrarri he provided tests and different trials with different flow rates and viscosity vs temperature of oil. mine is over 110k miles and i use 5w30defy qs with decent zinc. I figure if i ever accidentally get it hot enough, my cylinders could use a nice glassy recoat lol.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:25 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by bjankuski
As far as I am concerned you can stay with the 5w30 if the bearing clearances are still all stock.

Now days, we've got 600+ hp/600+ tq OEM motors running on OEM recommended 5w-30. I don't feel that "hp" is the determining factor....I agree with bjankuski that clearances are the more important factor.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:31 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

"high flow" requires moving more oil which is either, or both, a function of higher pressure, or greater cross area, and elimination of other restrictions, of the oil passages. NOW back in the olden times when Nascar ran "stock cars" with "stock engines" a common modification to the sbc oil system was the enlarging of the oil passages and matching the diameter of the main bearing oil hole to the oil passage in the bearing saddle. Don't see, or hear of much experimentation with the small block oiling system these days, which is a shame.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:01 PM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bjankuski
As far as I am concerned you can stay with the 5w30 if the bearing clearances are still all stock. Usually people switch to heavier oils if they have opened up the factory clearances (For high RPM usage) and have lower oil pressure as a result. The heavier oil will increase the oil pressure to an acceptable level.

The real purpose of oil is to prevent metal to metal contact by keeping an oil film between the rotating parts that prevents them from rubbing on each other. Some heavier weight oils may have a stronger oil film but that is not true in all cases so you really need to understand the properties of the oil you are using before you decide to switch to something else. The second purpose of oil is to remove heat from the bearing surfaces and larger bearing clearances allow more oil to move through the bearing which takes away more heat. So if you open up the clearances to allow more oil flow you may need a heavier oil to keep pressure up to an acceptable level. That being said a heavier oil does not flow as well as a thinner oil so it may not remove as much heat from the bearings as a thinner oil would have.
Very informative ,thanks !

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
A good quality full synthetic 5W-30 oil will work fine for stock engines and even with engine modifications that will generate 400+ HP. And probably more than that.

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI

Now days, we've got 600+ hp/600+ tq OEM motors running on OEM recommended 5w-30. I don't feel that "hp" is the determining factor....I agree with bjankuski that clearances are the more important factor.

Great , thanks guys. I have a better understanding about this now.

Get notified of new replies

To Higher viscosity oil

Quick Reply: Higher viscosity oil