C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New to me Vette, been sitting for 3 years....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Demonsmokr
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me Vette, been sitting for 3 years....

Where to start? I'm picking up a new to me Vette next Saturday. 1 owner car, 85k miles, been sitting in a garage undercover for 3 years.

It's super clean, motor looks clean enough to eat off of.

Couple of questions.

2 bolt, or 4 bolt main? I read conflicting info online, many say only 2 bolt mains, some day 4 bolts made it through, then some say it's confusing because they used the same block casting numbers for 4 bolt and 2 bolt. Just want clarification on this, I'm pretty sure it's 2 bolt.

This will be my first vette, but second TPI car. This car has been sitting for 3 years, give or take a few weeks, where should I start?

I've revived a 77 z28 that had sat for 5 years, but i assume there's gonna be much more involved with this baby.

I plan on changing all the fluids and filters. What else should i inspect? What type of things can go wrong from sitting for 3 years in a garage undercover? On that old z28, i just drained the fuel, changed the plugs and she fired right up after a small squirt of starting fluid. I'm site that's more to it for the vette, if not, I'm getting an even better deal than originally thought.

Any advice is appreciated. I am a corvette noob, so whatever you can tell me to expedite the education process i would be grateful.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:35 PM
yedister
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get some carb cleaner, after you start it, spray it around the intake and where the throttle body connects to the intake listening for the engine RPM to go rev.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:42 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

First advice I can give you is to always include the year of the car in your post. Even though this is the C4 Forum it covers the 84 thru 96 with variations in most years as the car evolved.

Welcome to the Forum.

As you indicated, change all fluids and filters including fuel since the car has been sitting for three years. Did it run before it was parked? Try and get as much information for the current owner as you can. Modifications to the car? Look at the age of the tires. Your engine hoses if you look close will have dates on the hoses. If they are old, consider changing them.

Good luck with your project.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:09 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Congrats & Welcome....Sounds like you have it under control good luck and happy motoring.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:33 PM
Demonsmokr
5th Gear

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
First advice I can give you is to always include the year of the car in your post.
Man, i feel dumb for that. This is a 1990 Corvette TPI motor, 6 speed transmission. Stock except for exhaust, i believe just mufflers.

I'm told it ran fine when parked, it's mechanically sound. Owner hurry his back and can't even get into the car without killing himself. So he parked it in the garage. Was going to give it to his son for a coming home gift from the army, but he wanted something else.

Is there anything peculiar these TPI motors are known for after sitting? I was just gonna do the standard thing, and just change all the fluids, check the hoses, and see what happens.

I'm really here to learn the corvette specifics, I've gad a Trans am with the TPI before, it wasn't treated well before me.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:26 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Pics !!! We need pics !!!

Rick
Old 09-07-2015, 10:49 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Don't beat yourself up too much OP, you did say it was a TPI so that did narrow it down to an L98.

Typical problems after sitting are the usual, bad gas, gummed up fuel system. There is a way to make the fuel pump run through the aldl by using a paperclip bent into a "U". Stick one end into the top right (check the orientation of your plug though, some have been turned 180deg) and the other end in G. Here is a picture. Replace your fuel filter, they are dirt cheap. you can use a mechanical transfer pump to empty as much fuel as possible, then, finish off by using the fuel pump to empty the tank and it will come out the disconnected hose at the fuel filter. put some fresh gas in the tank, and flush the extra gas out through the hose. reconnect the fuel filter, then go disconnect at the fuel rail, and flush out the line up to the fuel rail.

here is a picture of the aldl.

I wouldn't be surprised if your IAC needs to be cleaned and lubed up so it can adjust as needed by the ecm. might as well clean all the passageways in the throttle body as well (ALL the passageways).

Very likely you will find a vacuum leak, as a previous poster has eluded to. If you have a way of using propane with a very limited flowrate it is easier than carb cleaner and doesn't make a mess you have to wipe up.

Do the fuel system cleanout first though. Then go from there.

And with the pictures!!!
Old 09-08-2015, 12:59 PM
Demonsmokr
5th Gear

I'll get pictures once i get her loaded up Saturday. I have the pictures from the current owner, but i want to take my own. He has an old phone/camera and the pictures aren't the best.

4 more days! I can't wait!

Get notified of new replies

To New to me Vette, been sitting for 3 years....

Quick Reply: New to me Vette, been sitting for 3 years....